SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:31 AM
Joined Dec 2002
305 Posts
Lighter Tail

Fly Fly ASW28 now supplied with very light built-up tail, nicely covered.

Will cut flaps into wing, and hopefully HK will have following in stock sometime:-
-
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23330
-
Question..... can someone please advise recommended decalage.... (1-2deg?)
-
many tks, Steve
SteveM is offline Find More Posts by SteveM
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
993 Posts
Has anyone tried using spoiler or turbulator strips on the wings to improve performance? Any luck there? What and how are they done? I got an ASW 27 and it has pretty skinny / thin wings and it sounds very much like the -28 here in that they are not known for floating.......
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:37 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,211 Posts
I just maidened my second Asw build the other day and found my rudder was basically ineffective at best. Are people mixing in Ailerons to promote rudder effectiveness ?
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:12 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Fly Fly ASW28 now supplied with very light built-up tail, nicely covered.

Will cut flaps into wing, and hopefully HK will have following in stock sometime:-
-
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23330
-
Question..... can someone please advise recommended decalage.... (1-2deg?)
-
many tks, Steve

"now supplied with" ...That tail came with my ASW 2,5 years ago.

Not that exciting though, as it is flat, too big and mounted too high and will be sitting on top of the fairing molded to the fuselage, which was meant to fit inside the original (profiled) stab which had a more scale position. There are photos of the old stab in this thread somewhere. I build my own profiled one from scratch and also made the planform (topview) closer to scale.

Here's an alternative for your servo, reviews are even better, but personally I would go for a slightly better quality;
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20722

Decalage;
I set mine to 0 degr. works fine
viper1 is online now Find More Posts by viper1
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:51 AM
Joined Dec 2002
305 Posts
Thanks.
-
Servos..... so many to choose from, including following, at virtually give-away price:-
-
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17322
-
and following looks like it has many good reviews:-
-
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6608
-
Spoilt for choice!!
-
Steve
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Dec 2002
305 Posts
Ok... 5mm cf rod at le of fin, along that former, down to some thickened epoxy at the base.
Control tube for rudder, wire run in for elevator servo.
Expanding foam nozzle right up against the small holes in that fin former above, and squirt.....
I misted water down the fuz beforehand, and the foam has crept up to fill half of the length between the wing te and fin!!
-
I think I may have overdone it....filled 1st 1/3 of fin also, and glued rear fin post back in.
It is really difficult to tell just how much weight I have added, as it foams so much....I have 1kg 2mm lead shot..I think I will need half of that in the nose!
-
Ah well, can't go back now....will update with final weight when complete.
Incidentally, using 4 x corona cs-239mg in wings....double ballraced, nice all-metal g/box...20 mins on tester cycling show no issues.
Steve
Last edited by SteveM; Oct 01, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:10 AM
Joined Dec 2002
305 Posts
Progress (and foam warning!)

Warning.......Expanding foam has formed a significant bulge in fin, despite only filling the forward 1/3.
I think what happens is the surface "skins over", effectively sealing in the rest.
With nowhere to go, it ballooooons!!
It's a bit ugly.... should have monitored it.
-
-
Rudder.... struggled to get linkage geometry right, using control tube.....eventually crafted a banana-shaped CF horn to allow connection point 90 deg between hinge line, and direction of final fuz exit...no binding now.
-
Elevator servo install easy.... (TGY-9018MG servo)
-
Wing tips.... cheap 8mm X 2mm neodymium magnets, and 2mm CF rod locating dowels.
-
Fuz re-inforcemnt...... CF tow run round the inside rim of the fuz opening where the canopy sits, using finishing resin.
Then.....glassed the following fuz areas using 2" wide (175g/m2) throughout:-
-
a) upper seam above wing
b) whole area fwd of the LE of the wing, including under servo tray
c) 6" wide area in belly under wing
-
It seemed to take forever (actually 8 hours, including all prep/cleaning up) to do all the glassing, with 45 minute pot life, and all those servo trays etc in the way.
Created a stubby brush on the end of a dowel at approx 60 deg angle, to reach all the fiddly bits.....cleaned this+pot etc each time a batch was finished.
-
Steve.
-
(note.....was just laughing to myself......I am probably the only one reading this thread! Ah well, will keep it going in case someone benefits)
Last edited by SteveM; Oct 08, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:38 PM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,089 Posts
You are not alone...
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Dec 2002
305 Posts
AUW Shock!!

Used my smartphone with Clinometer app. (knocked up the necessary with 1/4" balsa, 8mm rod etc...it is very accurate/repeatable....see pic) to set incidence pins.
-
One of my wings has slight twist (LH tip is at -3.0deg relative to root!), so took advantage of having ailerons + flaps to attempt to compensate using my home-made incedence meter.
-
Took a number of readings along the flap and aileron length, to produce average for each, then adjusted to give average of 0deg for flaps, and -1.0 deg for ailerons.
-
The bad news....taped a plastic bag of lead shot to nose to produce c of g of approx 60mm back from LE (adding battery/rudder servo etc in approx places), then weighed all.
-
It came out at ........2400g. (Aaaarrrgghhh!)
I may have overdone my tail end "enhancements".(although the rod weighed nothing really, and the expanding foam is very light with its low density)
-
that's 85oz.
If published wing area is correct, at 28.5dm2, then that's 3.1ft2
-
So loading is 27oz/ft2.
If change to CF joiner, this reduces to 25oz/ft2
-
It,'s going to need a hell of a blow to keep airbourne.
-
Anyone out there flown one that heavy??
-
Steve
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
turbulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967250s View Post
Has anyone tried using spoiler or turbulator strips on the wings to improve performance? Any luck there? What and how are they done? I got an ASW 27 and it has pretty skinny / thin wings and it sounds very much like the -28 here in that they are not known for floating.......
well, i have used (and am using) turbulators in several of my planes, and, besides improving stability, the speed increases. this is a controversial issue, but i have performed many tests and measured speed before and after installing them. the device i used is the 'how fast' from winged shadows.
for all that i have learned with these foam/glass sailplanes, they fly already too fast for my like, so if you add turbs beware.
for more details get into my blog.
regards.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Dec 2002
305 Posts
Progress

Rudder servo in, on extra tray as far forward as possible, and 330g (so far...left slightly tail heavy....can always add more) 2mm lead shot in nose.
Seemed to soak up a hell of a quantity of finishing resin, to set in place.
-
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:51 AM
Joined Dec 2002
305 Posts
Balancing this at 62mm.
-
Qu...... whilst balancing at this point, if tip nose slightly fwd, it will continue to drop. (Likewise backwards)
this would suggest centre of mass higher than underside of wing.
Do any of you remember if you needed to balance yours inverted?
Tks, Steve
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:24 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Hey fellas, new owner of this bird. Tons of information to digest. I see it's been a while since anybody had responded but I was just curious if anyone knows if FlyFly has modified the tail since the earlier versions? My tail is perfectly straight and I was curious if these mods have been addressed. I bought this plane just a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for the thread! A lot of great information.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:02 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Hey fellas, new owner of this bird. Tons of information to digest. I see it's been a while since anybody had responded but I was just curious if anyone knows if FlyFly has modified the tail since the earlier versions? My tail is perfectly straight and I was curious if these mods have been addressed. I bought this plane just a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for the thread! A lot of great information.
If you mean the twist in the fuselage, that seems to be fixed in later production versions. Mine was ok, and that's years ago.
viper1 is online now Find More Posts by viper1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:22 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
I meant the weakness in the fin where it meets the boom...I heard a lot of folks added expanding foam to that area since it was prone to cracking or breaking off on tough landings...Thanks for the reply!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member