HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2010, 07:06 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I have a question gents. I have ordered the iCare version of this model : http://www.icare-rc.com/asw28_2m.htm that they say can be converted to electric. Does any1 have this model as well or does every1 run the model from HobbyKing??

iCare is putting together a list of items for the elec conversion but I want to get as many opinions as possible and make the best choice. I will be building this as an FPV rig - medium range.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2010, 10:43 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,054 Posts
if your buying the icare version your buying a quality ship well made and quite strong ,the entire aircraftis lighter and will perform much better than the Fly-Fly version .As much as I like the Fly-Fly 28 its not the same as the quality in place on the iCare model .FWIW its a good choice, control throws and other setups will be the same however. Enjoy it, a damn fine choice.
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Dec 02, 2010, 10:54 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I will post pics when it arrives - after looking at the HK version I knew that it wouldn't be capable of the range that I want... I'll post a list of the iCare elec conversion suggestions and see what everyone thinks.

Sentry
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:19 PM
Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Joined Apr 2010
1,503 Posts
I have removed the plastic CMPRO 250mm long spoilers from the wings.I have replaced them with ESCALE-260 mm long ELECTRIC SPOILERS.These are perfect,made of metal,and identical in weight as the plastic spoilers and servo,but are strong and operate evenly.At $99 Australian dollars for the pair,a good price for proper spoilers.Another good thing about them,i did not have to purchase a y reverser lead,or servos to actuate them-which is the case with the multiplex-250mm spoilers.Now l have two(2) spare servos also.
Damian Couzoff is offline Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:47 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,503 Posts
I successfully maidened my ASW 28 with the escale electric 260mm spoilers 3 months ago.I finally got around to posting a few pics of the spoilers today.These spoilers are all metal and work like a well oiled machine-excellent spoilers...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:52 AM
Wiltshire England
Joined Aug 2010
170 Posts
Nice work!!

I'm glad this thread has re surfaced, just the kick in the ass i needed to get and buy another 28, after the crash last year!!

Just starting to get the weather back too, took the little windrider fox up yesterday for a hoot.
Heathy is offline Find More Posts by Heathy
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:32 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
Nice work!!

I'm glad this thread has re surfaced, just the kick in the ass i needed to get and buy another 28, after the crash last year!!

Just starting to get the weather back too, took the little windrider fox up yesterday for a hoot.
Without a doubt,the ASW 28 is one of the best chinese 2.5 metre gliders.The 8mm 316 stainless steel wing rod, l purchased, is alot stronger compared to the mild steel rod supplied.It only cost $10 AUD for three lengths-cutting included,l have two(2) spares.I like my ASW 28 so much,l have ordered another,just in case, l crash mine one day.Take care-damo
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:55 PM
Melbourne
Joined Apr 2010
10 Posts
Gidday,
I need some advice please.
I have been flying a Radian for quite a while now & want to upgrade. I fly the Rad several times a week & the mission is always to thermal as high as I can & have got some incredible heights from this little hill. I used to fly full size sailplanes many years ago but have resorted to RC flying as I don't have the time anymore. I love the look of the scale ships & thats the path I want to go. Anyway what I would like to know is: in your opinions is jumping up to the FlyFly ASW28 with flaps going to be too much?
So if you think that I should be able to handle flying it, I would also like to put a motor in it but this model of the ASW28 with the flaps doesn't have the nose cut off already. So if I go ahead with this project I need your recommendations on how to cut the nose off & all other components required, servos etc.

Cheers Tony

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17096
1998fireblade is offline Find More Posts by 1998fireblade
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:09 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,054 Posts
The Fly-Fly 28 is not a thermal ship by any stretch of the imagination, either is the DG1000 or the Salto probably you best shot at thermal in these models would be the Condor, which already has flaps fitted . They are what they are however Good fun fast cheap slope ships . Adding a motor will get you up there but the glide back down is pretty rapid .
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:04 PM
Melbourne
Joined Apr 2010
10 Posts
Is it the weight of these gliders that make them not so good for thermalling?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:32 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,054 Posts
Yes they quite a high wing loading for thier size,great for fast slope work plenty of penertration but themal work nope. If you want something scale o thermal your better spending few more dollars on a lighter European kit ,but like I said you want a fast fun slope ship the 28 is a terrific bang for the buck model.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:44 AM
Melbourne
Joined Apr 2010
10 Posts
Ok cool. Now what do you suggest for servos etc?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:49 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,054 Posts
Any standard servo works for the rudder, I used a HXT900 9gram on the elevator as the moment arm is very short so the full 1.5kg torque of the servo is available to the elevator.
I used HS125mg on the ailerons but BMS380MG's will fit just fine ifact just about any mini servo will fit up to around 13.0mm thick . As to motor lipo combination I leave to those who use it as I only fly pure glider
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:29 PM
Melbourne
Joined Apr 2010
10 Posts
Thanks Steve for your help.
I would like just a pure glider but I unfortunately I don't live anywhere near a decent slope that I can drive to, however there is one but you have to walk up one hell of a hill instead I fly from the little hill I live on & there's a lot of turbulence down low so I use the motor to get up a little & then go thermal hunting
Do you think the transition from a 3ch Radian to the ASW going to be too much???
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:37 PM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,258 Posts
If you are already thinking about transitioning from a Radian giving the environment you have to fly I would seriously consider the Radian Pro which is a full house glider and very affordable in comparison to similar airframes.

The ASW28 can be a hands full when not flying on a slope and will have little flying value even in optimal thermal conditions.
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor