SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2010, 09:18 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Mine is between 55-58mm from the leading edge. I also did use a 415g 3S lipo and didn't have a problem balancing at all.

Need to monitor my climbouts with the Eagletree so I can set my timer on my radio for a more accurate time to bring her down.

fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:14 AM
Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Joined Apr 2010
1,516 Posts
My centre of gravity is 60-62mm,thats for slope though,could even go further back for thermal,but mine is slope and unpowered,so l keep it at 60-62mm
Damian Couzoff is offline Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:16 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,214 Posts
Cheers, yeah i didnt have a problem with mine but someone suggested bringing it further back to aid flight, aid was not the description i would have used lol
Coyote64 is online now Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:56 PM
Wiltshire England
Joined Aug 2010
170 Posts
Mines @ 62 mm too, slope only. And i'm a little nose heavy and i like it that way

Been taking a break from gliders recently and spending more time on my helis after the crash.

New asw28 will be with me next week so it starts all over again, only problem now is i will be stuck with flying weekends only as its dark after work now
Heathy is offline Find More Posts by Heathy
Old Oct 17, 2010, 07:10 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,516 Posts
coyote 64-my 4s batteries arrived,and the 14x9.5 folder,connected it up in the cs discus-2.6 metre,and its power galore.Will hopefully get to fly it next weekend or the following weekend,depending on weather conditions.If l ever buy a asw 28 electric version,this is the combo l will go for,l still have the slope one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2010, 02:39 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,214 Posts
Good to know cheers, mnes still awaiting repairs, but should be ready for the weekend if all goes to plan. On the subject my tailed cracked and weak both sides, whats the best way to go about glassing it from the inside with very little access ? I was thinking ballons
Coyote64 is online now Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:22 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,516 Posts
Coyote 64-It took me three attempts to get the epoxy to finally start holding inside the fuselage,around the crack/break.Apply plenty and open the crack as wide as possible,and let it run in the inside,its a sticky,messy job,After two attempts l nearly gave up on it,but the third attempt worked.Micro balloons is good,as you mentioned.After all that cursing and swearing its worth it.regards damo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2010, 04:22 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,438 Posts
Just a little info the fuse's are all polyester resin so to ensure your repair holds it is better to use polyester on polyester as Epoxy although it looks stuck is not a structual bond and lets go quite quickly. I did a mod to all of them when I received the kits before attaching the rudder (but you can still do it) the rear spar of the fin is balsa cut carefully down either side (you want to put it back when finished)you can then get some glass reinforcement into the area concerned (a light spray with 3M77 helps to locate the glass). I used a small art brush to wet the glass out ( I used carbon on mine) and then used a peice of 5.0mm dowel to compact the resin and the glass , once cured replace the spar you cut out and your done.
SteveW FWIW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:41 PM
Wiltshire England
Joined Aug 2010
170 Posts
Thanks steve for that, i was just thinking about strengthening my replacement 28!
This is going to be a even heavier ship now, i will also put some fiberglass tape around the leading edge of the vertical stab and around the sides and bottom of that area too.
Seemed to me thats where the gel coat likes to crack most.
Heathy is offline Find More Posts by Heathy
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:25 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,438 Posts
You'll find also that the gel coat is actually just enamel paint
SteveW
Old Oct 19, 2010, 03:50 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,516 Posts
Coyote 64-I repaired my flying dream cs discus with epoxy,as it is a HIP fueslage,and not fibreglass,its PLASTIC(High impact plastic).Anyway,my slope asw 28 is still in pristine condition,in its box,it still has not been maidened yet-l have a ton of work on at the moment,so it will remain in its box.In future,if and when l need to repair, the asw 28,l will use polyester resin as steve pointed out.Have fun-damo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2010, 05:38 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
Just a little info the fuse's are all polyester resin so to ensure your repair holds it is better to use polyester on polyester as Epoxy
SteveW FWIW

Actually, the fiberglass parts of the Aerofever/Flyfly/Hobbyking Asw 28 kits & similar are Vinylester, a resin produced by the esterification of an epoxy resin with an unsaturated monocarboxylic acid, What usually works well for repairs is to sand first around the damage, then apply a coat of thin CA glue, and then use epoxy for the repair. The CA works as a sort of bonding agent in this case.
viper1 is online now Find More Posts by viper1
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:13 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1 View Post
Actually, the fiberglass parts of the Aerofever/Flyfly/Hobbyking Asw 28 kits & similar are Vinylester, a resin produced by the esterification of an epoxy resin with an unsaturated monocarboxylic acid, What usually works well for repairs is to sand first around the damage, then apply a coat of thin CA glue, and then use epoxy for the repair. The CA works as a sort of bonding agent in this case.
Are you sure ? I use Vinylester on my moulds and you can tell the difference by simply sanding, the smell is without doubt poly not Vinyl, however using Vinylester if not slightly more expensive than poly will adhere structurally with a positive bond without any problem
SteveW
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:03 AM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,223 Posts
A shot clip I ve made from Camperdown yesterday..looks ok in the flight...but it did snapped on me during this flight... U need to keep up the speed.

Fly Fly ASW 28 with a Turnigy cam mounted on wing (2 min 2 sec)

Parts 2
Fly Fly ASW 28 Hooning shots (2 min 55 sec)
MartinL is offline Find More Posts by MartinL
Last edited by MartinL; Oct 23, 2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:11 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,438 Posts
Martin,
put a T/edge Thickness of reflex in the ailerons and reduce the elevator throw slightly which will help overcome the tip stall by forcing some washout into the wing. You may even move the CG back just a smidge.
SteveW