HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2010, 10:32 AM
Wiltshire England
Joined Aug 2010
170 Posts
I've just written my fuse off
Had winds of 17-28mph with a average of 24 so decided to go out,
Chucked her off and all was good for about 5 mins, then from no where the wind dropped completely, never seen that happen before.

It didn't like it at all and i couldn't even keep enough speed for lift, so after a few mins battling with her i made a emergency landing onto the slope.

Ended up breaking the fuse at the bottom of the tail. I'm not even going to try and fix it as its a right mess.

Where can i buy spares from? I'm sure there's a Chinese seller out there, as fly fly don't sell them direct.
Heathy is offline Find More Posts by Heathy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2010, 12:25 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,092 Posts
I feel for you matey, mine the same after yesterday.

Took someones advice to make it more meutral than the nose heavy i had it set to. Ended up going vertical, then flipped over with the wind, nosed into the floor.

Crackes all over the nose, the tail, canopy and cockpit written off. Everything else has survived including all my FPV gear.

I might ba able to save fuse with a bit of glass fibre repair but ill always wonder if it will be strong enoungh and the outside wont ever be pretty again, well not without a full respray
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Oct 03, 2010, 12:43 PM
Wiltshire England
Joined Aug 2010
170 Posts
Well, Ive just done some research as i was going to just replace the fuse.

Hobby 88 sell the spares but when you factor in postage your better off buying a new one.

I managed to bend my steel wing rod too, and snap the fiberglass tube it sits in.

I'm going to get a new one for 131 from my LHS, not much cheaper from china with postage.

Its not a nice feeling coming home with a broken model and i thought it was to good to be true when i came home with my heli intact after 4 flights yesterday.

P.s, always better to have the nose heavy
Old Oct 03, 2010, 02:24 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
I just checked and for the ASW28 spare fuz and spare canopy (if you need one) it works at about 40 from hobby88. Where it goes wrong is in the postage and as I've said before I think Hobby88 have got their autoshipping cost calculator all t'cock. I suggest you send them an email, explain the situation and see what Mandy can do for you. If you can get the shipping down to about $40-45 you've got to be better than buying a new one.

Failing that how about either a basic Jamara DG1000 or Discus from Gliders Distribution,, both under 100 or really go up a gear in quality and get yourself a Habicht from Ming at Windrider, provided he has some left. Cost about 140 including shipping or you could buy it with a Jamara sticker on from Gliders for 265 plus shipping.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Oct 03, 2010, 02:44 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,092 Posts
Cheers for that lads, i had it flying brilliant the other week spot on it was. But then took some bad advice about getting a better glide ratio. Now im gutted and really need fuse qand canopy / cockpit.

Ill drop Mandy an email see what prices can be worked out. I can fix the fuse but it will never look great again which is a shame
Old Oct 03, 2010, 03:02 PM
Wiltshire England
Joined Aug 2010
170 Posts
I wander if they would chuck a steel rod in too?

Think i might chuck her a email too.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 04:13 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Steel rod is easy to get over here and cheaper than flying one from China.

http://www.gliders.uk.com/products.asp?dept=58
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Oct 04, 2010, 03:48 AM
Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Joined Apr 2010
1,488 Posts
Sad to hear,more sad news-read this

Two unfortunate incidents-heathy and coyote 64,,mine makes three,just to top it all off.My flying dream cs discus-tip stalled on saturday,at approx 100 feet off the ground,dropped a wing,and went into a vertical dive,and hit the deck,could not pull up, even with full up elevator.One wing snapped clean off where the aieron ends at the tip end,and the fueslage-at the base of the fin,broke also clean off.The other wing is untouched,wing rod is okay,and the canopy has two little chips out of the white rim-easy to fix.I am not giving up on this one,it can be repaired,already epoxied the fin back,and will fill,apply paint.The wing will require the most amount of time,inlay a new spruce spar and new 1.5mm balsa sheeting-where split,and reattach,etc.I have decided to increase power,as it was running on 3s,the motor takes up to 4s,will buy two 4s batteries,and then it will climb properly with proper airspeed.flying weight-4.4 pounds-need 440 watts-4s will give me 450 watts,instead of 300 watts on 3s.When l purchased the motor it did not have the limits of lipol battery power,l called AFTER to find out it can take up to 4s,WHY didnt they tell me,in the first instance-regards damo
Damian Couzoff is offline Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2010, 03:55 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,092 Posts
I was running 330 watts on mine, a bit heavier than your at 2140g and found it lacking in power. I decided eventually to go with a scorpion SII-3020-890kv it now produces 450w now on a 3 cell with 14 x 8 graupner prop.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 04:12 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,488 Posts
Coyote 64-l am glad you sorted the power set up on yours.In my case,l am better off going for 4s, as l also have the cmpro ventus with the same type of motor installed in that,so the x2 batteries can be utilised for both models.I still will run the 12x6 folder,50 amp esc-60 amp peak,on both the cs discus and ventus 2bx,regards damo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2010, 05:07 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,092 Posts
Cool, sorry to hear about your misfortune as well. Not a good weekend for any of us.

Im more annoyed at myself more than anything, i had it just fine, should have left it as it was instead of fiddling. Expensive lesson learnt though. But learnt.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 05:19 AM
Wiltshire England
Joined Aug 2010
170 Posts
Yeah, sorry to hear about yours damo, lets just hope this is the [ it comes in 3's] bad luck.

If i added up the money i have spent on rc crashes, mainly helis it would be scary, prob about 1000 since april alone.

I will be getting another one as when its good its real good.

Also, i've just started out with planes aswell, god only knows how thats going to go
Old Oct 04, 2010, 05:34 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,488 Posts
Heathy-it does hurt when they crash.I still think the asw 28,cs discus and ventus 2 bx,all have similar characteristics.The centre of gravity on the asw 28 is 60mm,the ventus is 60mm to,it has the same wing chord and wing area as the asw 28.However the cs discus has a centre of gravity at 58-65,and its wing chord is 150mm,10mm more than the asw 28 and discus.I will repair my discus and it will fly again,l like thermal soaring from the large flat field,when conditions are not suitable for slope,regards damo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2010, 10:29 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Finally flew the ASW28 and found it quite enjoyable.

At slow speed it had a tendency of tipstall but if you keep it on step it flies really nice and graceful. I can see where this plane would love alot of wind on the slope.

My motor setup will have to be changed out as the motor at 390W came down quite hot. I might switch my AXI out to a 2826/8 motor or a Scorpion. If I can get Lucien to sell me a motor with a shorter shaft then I won't have to worry about cutting it myself.

Anyway, next up is to place all the camera gear on it....
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Oct 04, 2010, 02:36 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,092 Posts
Good to hear a sucess story, whats everyones CG point that works best, mine was 55mm ?