HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:27 AM
Slope convert/addict
Romford, Essex. UK
Joined Mar 2006
208 Posts
Hi Nick,

3mm doesn't sound like a lot, but I defer to the judgement of those with the flying experience (I'm still building it).

Out of interest, what servos did you use ? Did you use the supplied pull-pull rudder system ?
DelUK is offline Find More Posts by DelUK
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:27 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,424 Posts
Nick go for it at those settings you'll be happy they are a sweet machines remains a fav of mine over the rest closely followed by the Discus and Salto
. SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:32 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,424 Posts
3.0mm =1/8th " up and down not really what I'd call over control by any stretch but all thats required to be extremely effective on a T tail aircraft
any more and it stalls the tail resulting in a Horriblr tip stall cause by stalling the tailplane.
SteveW
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:52 AM
Joined Jan 2004
100 Posts
Cheers steve - will go for those settings.

I installed mg HS 86s, i think! I ditched all the horns and supplied hardware - have a sullivan snake for rudder (held nicely by the foam tail mod) and made my own pc board horns and 2mm metal clevis rods - also ditched the servo covers in favour of some after market micro ones.

Looking fwd to my first launch!

Nick T
nick taylor is offline Find More Posts by nick taylor
Old Jan 16, 2008, 02:38 PM
Registered Abuser
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Oct 2005
658 Posts
Hi Guys,

I too have ordered one of these kits and am eagerly awaiting its arrival!

While I Wait, I was wanting to start getting together the necessary electronics and would like to know what people are using? I have a couple of HS-81's that need a good home.........

Also does anyone have a instruction booklet scanned into there computer?

Thanks,

Chris
fooesboy is offline Find More Posts by fooesboy
Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:12 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,424 Posts
Nick I've just re measured my eleavtor throws from my last flight and increased them to 5.0mm throw each direction and my last flight was an awesome flight in big lift .
Just set in on rates so you have your 5.0mm throw (recommened)and a larger throw on high rates you'll soon see how little you need on this bird .
SteveW
Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:32 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,424 Posts
Chris ,
The instruction are a 1 sheet picture of the glider with a rough Idea on where everything goes . But really you dont need them to put it together . As for servos,
Mine has a 1.5 kg torque 9 gram tower Pro in the fin on elevator which work very well
its only a short moment arm it has to work so it more than adequate . The rudder has 1 off the many standard one I have on the shelf think I put in a HS-325HB but any standard will do the job. On the ailerons I use Bluebird 380MG's 3.6 kg torque like using metal gears on ailerons which Ive set up as both spoilerons and flaperons . The TX I'm using is a JR 2720 the RX ,now this will shock a few is a E-Sky 36mhz 6 channel
full range (to look at its a rip off of a JR R770 ) and at $19.00AUD it was worth the risk to by even if it didnt work to throw in the bin at no great loss ,But hey they are just simply excellent rock solid not the slightest hiccup. Put it this way they impressed me enough after the first one to buy 10 more lol. and last but not least a standard 1100mah nmH flight pack .
well thats my setup hope it helps .
SteveW
Anyway thats my setup hope it helps.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 05:19 AM
Joined Jan 2004
100 Posts
Excellent news - settled on 5mm last night as 3mm would have required a new longer pc board horn - had 12mm originally!
nick taylor is offline Find More Posts by nick taylor
Old Jan 18, 2008, 03:53 PM
Registered Abuser
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Oct 2005
658 Posts
My ASW 28 arrived today, only 9 days from when I placed the order with Hobby-Lobby!

But unfortunately the package had a hard time in transit, and the fuselage is broken half way between the wing saddle and the tail. Very difficult to get into to repair. I gave Hobby-Lobby a call and they will send another fuselage out to me.

Assembly will be postponed until the new fuselage arrives.

Chris
fooesboy is offline Find More Posts by fooesboy
Old Jan 20, 2008, 07:27 PM
Slope convert/addict
Romford, Essex. UK
Joined Mar 2006
208 Posts
What RX battery pack are you using ?

Can you let me know what size/weight you guys are using to get the CG balance right (versions without motor only please) ?

Another trusted source has commented that a sub C 4000maH pack is required, and then some lead on top of that too !
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:56 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,424 Posts
??? Im running a 1100mah NMh pack and lead to bring it to the balance point my current CG is 62 mm fromt the leading edge ,seem to be sweet at that.
the lead weight I'll have a guess at but its around 100 to 130 grams iw ouldnt be much more than that battery pack is mount in the nose as far forward as I could get it, its a flat pack as well ,a square pack would not doubt fit better ,but I didnt have one on hand
SteveW slope only version
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:19 AM
Slope convert/addict
Romford, Essex. UK
Joined Mar 2006
208 Posts
Steve,

"???" was my reaction too. But one of our experienced UK slopers here has just built a Fly Fly ASW28 and that is what he needed to do apparently.... the only difference from my version that I can fathom is that he is using an 8mm steel joiner and has moved the elevator servo to the cockpit area. He has nothing heavy hanging out at the back end so I just can't understand it. It has been test flown like this too:

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,47784.0.html
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:32 AM
Slope convert/addict
Romford, Essex. UK
Joined Mar 2006
208 Posts
Hi Albert,

Has the ASW28 fuselage been modified at all since launch ? Is there a version 2 or 3 like with the DG 1000 ?

Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 04:53 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,424 Posts
Del ,
I'm using an 8mm steel joiner in mine and the elevayor servos in the fin the Mod's made have been detailed in this thread I agree that flaps would be an improvement for landing and plan on cutting
them in after my Trip to our slope mecca next week many photo's and vids to follow
Ive got 2 weeks of sloping to do
SteveW
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:19 PM
Joined Jul 2006
271 Posts
well, mine came with 10 mm steel, the AUW is 1832g, and the CG is at 50 mm and flew just great, I also reinforced the tail boom with the expandible foam, (works great), the rx pack is a 4 AA 1000 mha.
elqui is offline Find More Posts by elqui