Old Jun 02, 2007, 08:41 PM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,230 Posts
Build Log
AeroFever ASW-28

Hi all,

Yes, another cheap scalie from the same family as the DG-1000 & Discus. I only hope it lasts longer than my ill-fated Discus.

http://www.aero-fever.com/product_in...7j6evkfiu2c4l6

Initial impressions are that it is of similar quality to the DG, but not quite up to the standard of the Discus.

Included is the fibreglass fuselage complete with pre-installed radio tray and bulkheads. The fin is moulded as part of the fuselage. The finish is good but not as smooth as it could be. Looks a bit rushed. The fin sides are a bit concave. Overall, its nice but not up the standards of the european items. But I dont expect it to be for the price.

There are wrinkle free wings, rudder & tailplane. The ailerons and elevator and already atteched using the covering. The covering is a little opaque, with the reinforcing for the tailplane bolts visible as well as the wing skin joints.

You'll also find a black plastic cockpit floor and clear canopy complete with white trim. A bags of miscellaneous bits & pieces, the usual single sheets of instructions and an 8mm carbon joiner (which is still noted as 6mm on the instructions).

The model certainly resembles a -28 but theres something amiss with the profile of the nose compared to the 3 view. The biggest discrepancy to the documentation though, is the area of the tailplane. It's got to be at least 50% bigger than scale.
salisbug is offline Find More Posts by salisbug
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2007, 09:46 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,230 Posts
Onto the rudder...

You saw in post #2 that I've put in a old standard Hitec servo up front.

The instructions suggest that there are 3 cyano type rudder hinges but only 2 are supplied. The length of the surface would not justify 3 hinges in my opinion. There are no markings or anything else that suggest where to put the hinges so I just sort of poked about the L/E of the rudder with the tip of my X-acto knife until there was no resistance, suggesting a slot. From there I just opened up the covering at the 2 locations that were indeed pre-slotted. I then offered the rudder with the unglued hinges installed to find where to cut the matching slots in the fin post. The glass at the T/E of the fin is thin and backed with a balsa fin post.

The instructions are just the normal exploded view which suggests just to intall one of the 'zip' type horns to the rudder. There are a couple of issues here:

1/ The zip horn isnt long enough for the rather thick rudder
2/ Refer photos 3 & 4. The holes in the horn fall well outside the rudder pushrod exit. The horn will need to be modified or replaced to get the holes in the right place (photos 5 & 6)

Again the instructions are not too clear showing one rudder pushrod in the view and backing that up listing only 1 on the parts count. There were 2 supplied......

A pushrod hole and exit fairing are moulded into the fuselage too. And to back that, the rear fuselage bulkheads have cutouts and the forward bulkheads have holes for a 2nd rod suggesting a pull-pull system

I'm try with one rod and if that's a bit iffy, I'll change it to a pull-pull.
Old Jun 02, 2007, 09:49 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,230 Posts
And another thing:

When you buy normal ARF's they usually come with white control horns, clevises etc.

So on this white model, what do you get???

Black of course!
Old Jun 03, 2007, 04:12 AM
Joined Jun 2007
23 Posts
Hi, i canīt read enough from this stuff
Iam undecided, if i should buy die DG1000 or the ASW 28.
Whats the better way?
An V3 DG or an V1 ASW 28??
thinkingabout is offline Find More Posts by thinkingabout
Last edited by thinkingabout; Jun 03, 2007 at 06:50 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2007, 04:17 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,230 Posts
G'day thinking.

I cant give you an answer until the new beast is complete & flying (hopefully next weekend).

Keep track of the build. I'll reveal everything - warts n' all.
Old Jun 03, 2007, 07:08 AM
Joined Jun 2007
23 Posts
Thanks a Lot!
Old Jun 03, 2007, 08:14 AM
Barbados, Saint James
Joined Aug 2006
82 Posts
Hi,
Looks like a nice model for the $$$$$
I ordered one last week and look forward to recieving mine,should fly great!.

Andrew.
fishovertime is online now Find More Posts by fishovertime
Old Jun 04, 2007, 03:51 AM
Joined Jun 2007
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salisbug
G'day thinking.

I cant give you an answer until the new beast is complete & flying (hopefully next weekend).

Keep track of the build. I'll reveal everything - warts n' all.

Hai, no new information?

Do u think, its possible to build airbreaks inside the wings?
Old Jun 04, 2007, 05:07 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,230 Posts
Just a simple step.

Mark the location of the wing retension hooks by placing the wing root beside the fuselage and marking the centre of the intended hole on the root rib.

Screw the hook in (it's self-tapping), remove it again, apply a dob of 5 minute epoxy and screw it back in. Like I said, simple.

Oh yeah. Just make sure the hook base sits tight on the rib AND the open side of the hook faces forward. B\It would be damn hard to get the bands on if they're facing backwards.

BTW, I'll be using zip ties instead of elastic bands as passed on by the master - Samotage-San.
Old Jun 04, 2007, 07:18 AM
Joined Jun 2007
23 Posts
Hai,good job!
What does it mean...looks noice?
Would it be better, if i close the whole gap between the glass and the balsa root material with 5min Epoxy? (not only for the connector)

Now its 16:20pm and i bought my one! hiphiphurray...

But now at www.aero-fever.com, i cant find an asw28 anymore.?
Is it possible, that i get the last one?
Last edited by thinkingabout; Jun 04, 2007 at 09:22 AM.