Bristol, TN
Joined Nov 2006
542 Posts
Discussion
Dynam Extra 330 Rx Ready...

Anyone flying this plane?

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...1&pid=A3067645
http://www.dynam-rc.com/products/airplane/extra.htm

I spend all my free time working on my helis, so I'm looking for a PNP EP plane to get in the air.
tailStrike is offline Find More Posts by tailStrike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2007, 08:51 PM
S.L.O.
Joined Jun 2007
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailStrike
Anyone flying this plane?

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...1&pid=A3067645
http://www.dynam-rc.com/products/airplane/extra.htm

I spend all my free time working on my helis, so I'm looking for a PNP EP plane to get in the air.
I don't fly one but Im pretty sure that it is RTF instead of PNP.

Also i don't know if the bphobbies.com price has the shipping included but there is one on ebay coming from VEEJAYHOBBIES and it is $99 with a $39 shipping charge.

Another cool plane that is also made by Dynam is the Focus EP 400. There is a ton of feedback almost everywhere and it can pretty much do all of the things that the extra can do only it is tricycle gear. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...s+ep+400+build here is the link to the RCGroups focus thread if you want to check it out.
hangar46flyer is offline Find More Posts by hangar46flyer
Old Jul 27, 2007, 08:58 PM
S.L.O.
Joined Jun 2007
55 Posts
PM sent
Old Jul 27, 2007, 09:50 PM
headSpeed++;
Bristol, TN
Joined Nov 2006
542 Posts
Sweet...thx for the info looks like a nice plane.
tailStrike is offline Find More Posts by tailStrike
Old Jul 29, 2007, 02:51 PM
S.L.O.
Joined Jun 2007
55 Posts
ya, i just recently ordered one but it hasn't came yet. i plan to use it to learn on and later use it for mild aerobatics
Old Mar 07, 2009, 05:22 AM
Joined Oct 2008
149 Posts
Hi, I have this plane, due to a few mis-packaged hiccups from my hobby shop, I couldn't get it working until 2night, It is one powerful plane I can tell you that, I have only been taxing it so far, but will give it a fly 2morro in the morning and will video its maiden if ya want, I will keep you up to date on the flight. 1 Thing that I recommend is to use your own TX + RX, because in my opinion, the tx that it comes with is crap, but that's just my perfectionist self.
Lincellusion is offline Find More Posts by Lincellusion
Old Mar 07, 2009, 11:31 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincellusion
. 1 Thing that I recommend is to use your own TX + RX, because in my opinion, the tx that it comes with is crap, but that's just my perfectionist self.
Not perfectionist. It is a poor quality TX. My baddie's R stick was STUCK after only a few hours of use. Charger port would not work.

I'm making a minor mission to warn new fliers off this family of planes. Seem attractive with the marketing jargon but are not. Rebranded and sold lots of places, especially UK. Seems they have limited access to good trainers or something so get all hot about these.

Problems:
Fragile foam (styrofoam) - NOT crash resistant like they say. Breaks EASILY.
Lousy landing gear-breaks even MORE easily. Front is terrible.
Powerful motor, over propped in stock configuration, with a super soft shaft that bends if you give it a dirty look.
Marginal TX as above. Makes this twitchy plane hard to fly.
TERRIBLE charger. Do not recommend even using.
Generally set up poorly. If you don't know how to check this and fix it your first flight is likely to be pretty short and disappointing.

Good: (yes, there are some).
Gut it, put in good electrics and use a good TX, fix the set up errors, reinforce the landing gear and it flies pretty well. Mine flew fine once tuned. I got a glitch or some control failure and it nosed in from about 30 feet-broke in 3 pieces in spite of preventive reinforcement (tape, carbon on wing, etc.)
Not durable. Not so hot for an aileron trainer.

[Another cool plane that is also made by Dynam is the Focus EP 400. There is a ton of feedback almost everywhere and it can pretty much do all of the things that the extra can do only it is tricycle gear. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...us+ep+400+build here is the link to the RCGroups focus thread if you want to check it out.]

This is the plane I have. Some sites call it the Aerobat. Read that whole thread. Notice 2dogsrc no longer carries it although it is available. Good sites will drop a product that is giving them grief. I'm sure this one did.

Tallflyer is an excellent builder and flier so HE would NOT have trouble setting up and flying this plane right. I could fly mine with the stock setup but it wasn't fun. I could have made a video of it and people would have thought it was great.

My buddy can fly a modified (aileron/brushless/lipo) Super Cub with NO PROBLEM. After a MONTH of using his similar Cessna 182EP that I spent hours setting up right, on a JR buddy box with expo and rates turned down, the 7x3.5 prop, he would still 'lose it' occasionally. When I gave it back to him it didn't last a week and was trashed. 1 good crash, all it takes unlike a decent trainer.

Once you've tried it and see fit, join my 'mission'.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Last edited by flydiver; Mar 07, 2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 06:42 AM
Joined Oct 2008
149 Posts
That was a very good review flydiver, since I am young and cannot afford hundreds of things to pimp out my planes, I am sticking with its stock electronics except for the Tx. I have gotten it all working and if you remember me from the huge forum about me not being able to charge it etc. I purchased a skyartec Cessna 182 not too long ago which is great and the charge balancer will charge my extra 330 batt great as well. So I am ready to fly my dynam extra 330, if its stock setup is crap, then hey, I get a few ok electronics and am still happy with my Cessna, if it flies ok then I will consider really upgrading it to the parts it deserves.

Thanks alot, Lincoln.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:02 AM
Joined Jan 2007
5,187 Posts
Yes, I remember.
Minimize the throws, put a GWS 8x4 DD prop on it, and report back.
Good luck.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 03:53 PM
Joined Oct 2008
149 Posts
sorry, I am gonna buy the GWS 8x4 DD prop today cuz you said I should, but whats wrong with the one it comes with?

Thanks alot, Lincoln.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 04:06 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincellusion
sorry, I am gonna buy the GWS 8x4 DD prop today cuz you said I should, but whats wrong with the one it comes with?

Thanks alot, Lincoln.
Over props the motor > translated > motors have a pretty specific operating range. They don't much care if you go too small but too large over works them and they turn that into heat.

If I asked you to pedal a multi-gear bike at a certain speed you would find a gear that allowed you the best (least) workload at that speed. If then you were required to not only use larger gears (higher) but go faster you might be able to do that a little but not for long. Similar idea.

HeadsUp has gotten some prop/work data on that particular motor.

Keep the throttle down below max and you'll be fine. Doubt you would like it at max anyway. A smaller prop will allow you to have better throttle control over the plane.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 03:19 PM
Joined Oct 2008
149 Posts
good way of putting it, I understand. thanks alot.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 01:14 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Oct 2011
38 Posts
hi guys
i have had this plane for over 2 moths and i landed and broke my motor shaft over one moth ago. i still havent got it fixed because of all the websits keep sending me the wrong one. does anyone know a good website in the uk where i can get a new motor from. although when this plane is flying it is amazing and can do 3d acrobatics, only buy from local hobbie stores not of the internet.
jack12345 is offline Find More Posts by jack12345
Old Oct 01, 2011, 01:59 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,187 Posts
Your motor probably is a TowerPro 2408-21? Take a look:

Be aware all the TowerPro's look similar and a re-brand of one may not have any identifying markers. If it's a 3mm shaft you can get it from HeadsUpRC.
I DO NOT recommend the stock shaft-they are noodles and bend easily. Since yours BROKE it's possible you have a different motor.

We can't help unless you identify the exact motor or post a good picture. These planes get new parts all the time, depending on what's cheap and available, so you can't just ID the plane.
You can always replace the motor with one of similar weight and specs if you can find out what that is.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:02 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Oct 2011
38 Posts
ok thnaks but is is not that one
it is Dynam Extra 330 Outrunner Brushless Motor (1050kv)
400 Brushless Outrunner Motor (1050kv)
Can Dia:28.3mm
Can Lenght: 31mm
Shaft Dia: 3mm (threaded)
Weight: 50g

this is on this website
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-exa010-bm2810-kv810.html

but i dont want to order from this website because it is froma diffrent county and may be difficult to take back if there is any problems.
jack12345 is offline Find More Posts by jack12345