Old Jun 02, 2007, 08:54 AM
International flyer
France, Alsace, Wissembourg
Joined Jul 2005
255 Posts
Build Log
Got parts from Hobby Lobby Yak 55, lets build a full fuse Yak 55

Hi guys,

I had lots of fun building and flying and crashing the HL Yak 55, really a wonderfull plane.
Now i didn't had lots of full fuse and full wing planes (in fact one!). So i decided to keep the electronics of my over crashed and over repaired HL Yak 55 to build an EPP full wing and full fuse Yak 55 of the same dimensions.

what i did is that i reused the original shapes and putted a fuse around and built a new wing.

The plane is 395gr ready to fly with a 3s1p 1100mA battery, one 9 gr and two 5 gr servo and the great Eskay motor.

It's flying great for me and is still able to make lots of 3D. I don't know how to hover so i can't tell you if it's possible to make it but unlimited vertical climb is ok.

If you are interested in plans and build log just tell me.
Lampatex is offline Find More Posts by Lampatex
Last edited by Lampatex; Jun 06, 2007 at 05:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2007, 08:59 AM
International flyer
Joined Jul 2005
255 Posts
More pictures
Old Jun 02, 2007, 09:27 AM
Bergen, NJ
Joined Jul 2006
306 Posts
That fuse and wings look great! What are the dimensions of the plane?
WhatHappened is offline Find More Posts by WhatHappened
Old Jun 02, 2007, 04:44 PM
United States, WY, Jackson
Joined May 2007
115 Posts
Nice! Now is that wing folded on itself or just flat?
marriola is offline Find More Posts by marriola
Old Jun 03, 2007, 11:09 AM
International flyer
Joined Jul 2005
255 Posts
WhatHappened : It has exactly the same dimensions than the HL plane, wingspan of 800 mm and length of about 750 mm, so it stays quite a small plane.

Marriola : It is a full fuse full wing plane. The profile of the wing is the same on each side, it's the typical one for 3D planes.

Tomorrow I'll post the build pictures and the plans.
Old Jun 05, 2007, 06:25 PM
United States, WY, Jackson
Joined May 2007
115 Posts
Don't forget to post the plans. Thanks!
marriola is offline Find More Posts by marriola
Old Jun 05, 2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,372 Posts
I had that idea a while back I never knew if it would work! That plane looks real nice, came out well. 395 grams sounds pretty heavy though, I know brushless motors are powerful and could lift that. What was the original weight of the flat yak? Did the added weight slow the vertical down any? The obvious answer would be yes but my idea is that your prop/motor might produce probably about 600 grams of thrust max but only push it at 30mph so reguardless of the weight of the model, your top speed is only 30 mph because the prop cant physically push air faster than 30mph so that extra 200 or so grams of thrust didnt seem noticable with the lighter, flat yak.

You said you got the flat yak from hobby lobby, next time you go there and order a flat foamie, they sell 3mm carbon fiber strips (expendisive but they last forever, im using the CF from 2 planes over 3 years in my current plane!) Use the carbonfiber strips and scotch tape them over the edge of your 3mm foam plane. This will dramaticly reduce the likelyness of crash damgage. Did your flat yak have any CF? if it did, DO NOT THROW THAT AWAY! gut your plane for that carbon fiber, it might have glue on it but you use an old xacto blade like a paint scraper to knock it off. Yes, stuff comes off CF but it takes a little work because nothing (atleast hobby availibal
) can chemically bond CF with depron with out destroying the depron.
ziomatrixacs is online now Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Jun 06, 2007, 02:35 AM
International flyer
Joined Jul 2005
255 Posts
Sorry guys, but i've got lots of work those last days and i don't really have time to make the build details.

Anyway, I'll post the plans of my design today

Ziomatrixacs : I think that it's possible to gain about 20 gr on my plane cause i used hot glue and as everybody knows it is heavy, if i remember good, the profile plane was about 300gr. Don't worry i used all the parts of my old HL plane included the carbon spar to strengthen my wing. The main failure on the HL plane wasn't the wing but the fuse that didn't liked my strong landings :P

My motor/prop configuration is having about 700gr of static thrust, so way enough for me and well i noticed that my plane is a bit less hard to control, than the flat one. I'm flying with 3D plane only thince few month and I'm not so good at it but I've fun :P . So only what i can tell you is that it is reacting a bit less fast than the profile plane and it is ok for me cause it gives me more time to understand how to fly 3D.
About vertical climb, it is still possible without problems.

To finish, the speed of this plane is not an issue for me cause basically this plane is not meant to fly fast!
Old Jun 06, 2007, 05:08 AM
International flyer
Joined Jul 2005
255 Posts
A0 plan on the first post

Ok found some time, i putted the A0 plans in my first post. SO it's 6 mm EPP everywhere excepted the formers and the covering of wing and fuse made of 3 mm EPP. If anything is not clear, please let me know cause I made the plans for me and didn't had time to modify them properly for diffusion, so for sure there will be some things you may not understand! Just tell me and I'll explain.

Well next week cause I'm gone for 7 days for work
Old Jun 06, 2007, 06:06 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,372 Posts
Thats not bad then, infact that might even help you when you get a real fuse plane. Foamies tend to build false hope when you move up to a larger balsa plane like in the .60 size. They fly completely different! That is a nice plane, you sure you havnt built any other planes before?
Old Jun 06, 2007, 06:31 AM
International flyer
Joined Jul 2005
255 Posts
I have built other planes before but only flat ones like the Birddog, the Shark, P51, a personal design of flat Corsair.
This plane is only my second full fuse and full wing plane. First one was the Lioré et Olivier numéro 4, also a personal build, thread is here :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=olivier

And i started a second verion of Lioré et Olivier numéro 4 of 1,2meter of wingspan but never had time to finish it (moved to Poland an plane stayed in France )
Old Jun 06, 2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,372 Posts
you didnt take ya airplane with you!?
Old Jun 06, 2007, 06:47 PM
International flyer
Joined Jul 2005
255 Posts
Nop no place in the car ! I moved only for one year.
Old Jun 09, 2007, 04:06 AM
International flyer
Joined Jul 2005
255 Posts
Ok so finally not much work, could fly a lot in fact :P It flies really great, really sensible if there is wind.
EPP is great because i had about 4 strong crashes and noting broke! I bet if it was made out of Depron it would have been completely ruined.
I would recommend to try to stay under 350gr with a setup like mine to have more power to hover cause i think that my actual plane is too heavy to make it.
Old Jun 09, 2007, 07:43 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,372 Posts
You said the plane still goes up on the vertical, if it can go vertical then it can hover. I think you might need to set up high rates to make it hover. You need to squeeze out as much travel as you can in all your control surfaces with out binding.

Heres what you do, im assuming you have a computer radio. Go to travle adjust ments for your elevator and incease is on the top and bottom sides either untill the actual elevator hits something or binds or it gets maxed out. Do the same with your rudder and ailerons. If you have two seperate ailerons then you have to do it under aileron and what ever channel that other one is mixed on.

Now move your controls, your surfaces should point at high angles. Flip your dual rates switch into low rates by pulling them towards you. When you push them away, thats high rates. Go to your D/R adjustment and put in about 65-70% to start with. Then go to high rates and put in max and do this for all the controls that you have DR on.

Go fly! Start in low rates till you get high then switch to high rates and then try flying. When you get to the limits of the stick range the plane will have a lot more "Umph" to it.