HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2007, 05:31 PM
Joined Nov 2006
8 Posts
Discussion
5.8Ghz video link for europeans?

I want to use my 2.4Ghz RC with onboard video. Therefore I need to find a viable video downlink solution outside that band. Since I live in Europe we dont have 900Mhz or 1.2Ghz for free use. But we have the usuall 5.8Ghz.

So far I could only find bulky surveilance cameras operating in this band. Anyone knows a lightweight 5.8Ghz video TX for use in model airplane? If no, anyone could explain why there are no alternative product for European costumers?
Floater2 is offline Find More Posts by Floater2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2007, 06:08 PM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
This should fit the bill nicely.....http://www.supercircuits.com/browsep...ideo-Only.html

Camship
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old Jun 01, 2007, 06:14 PM
Joined Nov 2006
8 Posts
Thanx Camship! My only concern now is that all the 5.8Ghz wireless video TX specifications tone that it is recomended for point to point use. Seems without a tracker antenna you are doomed.

I have found another site: http://www.rf-links.com/58_transmitters.htm

It has one transmitter that would fit the picture and cheaper than the one above. But the RF power is only 25mW, and that is a tad too low for 5.8Ghz IMO.

So far it seems we have these 2 "viable" alternatives, but without first hand experience I am not risking buying any of them for aerial video purposes.

Anyone has experience in using 5.8Ghz for aerial video?
Last edited by Floater2; Jun 02, 2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2007, 02:40 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship
This should fit the bill nicely.....
Yes. Floater2, have you checked the prices? Both of those are transmitters only. On the link you gave the "cheapest" receiver is $400...

I think for $650 you could buy a brand new good second TX and some proven 2.4GHz equipment, and avoid all the drawbacks of the higher frequency...

Also, if you want to be legal, remember the max allowed power in 5.8GHz IS 25mW
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Jun 02, 2007, 06:16 AM
Joined Nov 2006
8 Posts
Yeah it would cost 650 dollar+camera. You are right maybe buying a 35mhz RC instead is better.

The small transmitter on that page has about the same range as a 2.4Ghz 10mw transmitter with its 25mw RF power. Yeah life is not easy in the EU

Btw as I know you are having a blast with 2.4Ghz on 10mw too. Right? Or have you got HAM licence in Switzerland as AnthonyRC? I am thinking on doing one, since it seems I will stay in Zürich for a little while. Hope foreigners can do it too.
Last edited by Floater2; Jun 02, 2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2007, 06:56 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,500 Posts
Nope, I don't have the license and I'm staying on 10mW. I'll maybe get one at some point, but then there's the extra special authorization that is required for the 2.4GHz band...

I've of course used more on a few occasions for some tests, but for general use 10mW has always worked fine enough for what I've done. It's always over the R/C that I'm bitching at the end of the day, not the video...

I know there's some agreement that allows hams to use their priviledges in countries that have signed the agreement, but I don't know about the specific country list. The PDF links to http://www.ero.dk/

I like FPV and try to share my hobby with others. If it involves getting a ham license, asking for an extra authorisation and all that stuff that will drive 75% of the people away. It has to be easy, so spending time on getting it right with license-free equipment is much more rewarding.
Last edited by Kilrah; Jun 02, 2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2007, 08:13 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
[snip]
I like FPV and try to share my hobby with others. If it involves getting a ham license, asking for an extra authorisation and all that stuff that will drive 75% of the people away. It has to be easy, so spending time on getting it right with license-free equipment is much more rewarding.
Point well taken. I love flying my pico tiger moth because people see how simple it is and how much I can do with it. I can fly it anyplace and I usually get an audience of interested watchers.

I can't even do that with the Easy Star, which is still a pretty simple and easy to fly airplane.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jun 02, 2007, 02:25 PM
Joined Nov 2006
8 Posts
Just to not let the topic die I found a competitive 5.8Ghz solution: http://brickhousesecurity.com/longra...mxr-5842c.html

Its alltogether under 400 dollar with camera! The camera seems to have good specs too, though it is just specs. I guess Sharp can make good ccd like Sony. Changing the whip on the reciever to patch can make the range to 1000 meters I guess. Anyone care to try this out
Old Jun 02, 2007, 04:42 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,455 Posts
You will not like 5.8 GHZ, RF behaves very badly at that frequency, and you will probably not like the way the video works at that frequency. If you want live video, foget 2.4 RC gear and stick with 72 mhz or whatever band you guys use for the RC and 2.4 GHZ for video.

Or you can spend a bunch of money, give us all your test results, and then go back to 2.4 GHZ video when the 5.8 proves to be very poor video

JettPilot
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 03, 2007, 08:02 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2007
1,207 Posts
Airwave make very affordable 5.8ghz modules if you can find someone who distributes them... if not, i can get them for you if your willing to pay all the considerable fees.

5.8ghz really isnt worth it. Check your 900mhz frequencies, there is usually a small ISM gap there which you can get on. Failing that, try and get a 1.2ghz license.
Mark Harris is offline Find More Posts by Mark Harris
Old Jun 03, 2007, 12:26 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
900 MHz is a GSM band for most of the world outside the US. Also not sure 1.2GHz is an allowed option. I posted a table with "free" frequencies available in Netherlands (and probably applicable for much of Europe) here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=691780&page=2

That shows some space in the 868 MHz band. After that it's 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old Jun 03, 2007, 01:08 PM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
1,143 Posts
In my opinion the solution is not to move the video away from 2.4GHz, but to move the uplink away, to either 868MHz in Europe, or 900MHz in the US.
868MHz uplinks can easily achieve > 10 miles, with some (legal) systems running more than twice that.
AnthonyRC is offline Find More Posts by AnthonyRC
Old Jun 03, 2007, 01:18 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,472 Posts
Found this info below here:
http://www.root3automation.com/pdf/V...20brochure.pdf

VTX / VRX 1.4GHz
The 1.4GHz VideoWave units have been designed specifically for the
UK market where this frequency is available license free at an
output power of 500mW. Other countries may allow its
use but usually at reduced power. The units are small
and light, housed in a very robust aluminium
extrusion. IP67 rated enclosures giving full
weatherproofing for exposed locations are also
available. VideoWave may be used with the
supplied 1/2 wave whip antenna or with
externally mounted antennas for
greater distances.
a professional answer to wireless transmission
(PAL, SECAM and NTSC), with a power
output of up to 500mW. VideoWave can also
be used in conjunction with our range of
modems to offer over air telemetry for full
control of PTZ cameras.

Regards,
tritan
SOARstick

tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Old Jun 03, 2007, 02:43 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,500 Posts
I can pretty much assure you you wouldn't want to see the price tag for something like this.
Old Jun 03, 2007, 11:03 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2007
1,207 Posts
You can probably add $500 for each 'professional', 'designed specifically' and 'rated'...
Mark Harris is offline Find More Posts by Mark Harris