Old Jun 01, 2007, 04:09 PM
Gloves are awkward
Preston, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,172 Posts
Discussion
Help me paint my plane!

Hello,

My most exciting paint job before now was a can of silver spray all over a P51! Now ive just finnished building my 190 (maidened tonight she flies beautifully, build was simple, thanks GWS) I want to treat her right with a good paint job. Anyone any tips for a novice? im open to all suggestions - be it be spraying or brushing.

Thanks
ipjodan is offline Find More Posts by ipjodan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2007, 04:43 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
I was turned onto the pleasures of air bushing about 6 months ago. For the GWS bird, you can start with a clean slate (NPS white) and with a little work, have a dandy model. There are several threads here and web sites dedicated to air brushing. Start with getting a nice modest compressor with a 2 gallon or so tank. That will even out the air pulses. Some starter kits have "canned air" and that is just an invitation to disappointment. Next, get a nice modest air brush. Without going into a complete dissertation with pro and cons, a beginner air brush is single action, external mix. Once you have the tools, you go to the medium - paint. The key here is the right consistency to spray. Your pallet of colors is now wide open. In US dollars, I used 2 "rattle cans" of spray paint for a total of about $12 to cover a GWS model - in one color. Each additional color is another $6. Plus you need to worry about the propellant eating the foam, etc, and trying to match the inevitable repair is a nightmare. The acrylic paints I use now are 49 cents for enough to cover several models. I will grant you, the start-up cost of air brushing is much higher than other methods but the end results are very satisflying.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Jun 01, 2007, 04:44 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,146 Posts
Not quite sure what type of help you're looking for. Do you want help picking out a paint scheme, or tips on how to actually apply the paint, or what methods to use?

If you are looking for schemes, here is an excellent resource:

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/451

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jun 01, 2007, 05:10 PM
Gloves are awkward
Preston, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,172 Posts
Many thanks james ive been looking into airbrushes on ebay for a while now and maybe its time to purchase... Hey Pat thanks for the link it will come in when i figure out how to paint!
ipjodan is offline Find More Posts by ipjodan
Old Jun 03, 2007, 10:40 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipjodan
Many thanks james ive been looking into airbrushes on ebay for a while now and maybe its time to purchase... Hey Pat thanks for the link it will come in when i figure out how to paint!

Check this for the authentic paint scheme.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691067
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)