Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 30, 2002, 03:12 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
Flying at night without lights on your plane

i recently bougt a pair of halogen lights for my barn for extra light and found out they produce enough light, that i can fly at with them set in my backyard. most times it is calm at night and i fly my pico stick untill i get tired. just thought id share my use for these. i dont fly really high up, but buzzing around my yard at 11:30 at night is sure a new thing for me.
easy2fly is offline Find More Posts by easy2fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2002, 05:15 PM
New Providence, NJ
Joined Aug 2002
465 Posts
When I fly at night I go to a baseball field that seems to have enough street lamps around that light it pretty well. I don't take my Tigermoth up that high, but I can see it pretty easily when it's buzzing around. I also find the wind seems to be more calm at night versus the daytime. Its always fun to take the moth up on 'night patrol' when I get home from work...

James Kern
james1787 is offline Find More Posts by james1787
Old Oct 30, 2002, 05:25 PM
Got Lights?
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Joined Jul 2002
312 Posts
Sure, that works... but.... wheres the fun in that?! =)

Just in case that comes off as sounding rude, take note at a recent development in "Navigational Lighting Systems". Just 2 nights ago we were out in the middle of a small lake, about 3 hours after sun-down flying our small float plane around only guided by its lighting system and had people running over asking us what was going on, figuring a full-size plane was attempting to land in this lake that was obviously too small. I then had to give a couple speeches about how much it costs to get into the hobby. I swear our lights alone have made people get into the R/C hobby period. Take care all.

Regards,
Matthew J. Currie
Curtek Systems - http://www.curtek.com
mcu-electric is offline Find More Posts by mcu-electric
Old Oct 30, 2002, 05:45 PM
Saint Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2002
218 Posts
With my first slowflyers about 4 years ago I use to go to the Home Depot parking lot at closing time (9:00PM). Even in the winter it was more likely perfectly calm than not. There was always a far corner with no cars and the parking lot lights still on. No one ever seemed to notice me in that corner. I'm gettin' all misty just remembering. I thought it was SOOOO cool to be flying at night. In my part of the country it gets dark by quittin' time during the winter months so there was no winter daylight flying after work for the first 14 years I was in this hobby.

Now, with my mini IFO, I can actually fly in my postage stamp front yard at night. And I have lights on my Tiger Moth and regular sized IFO for flying at the field as people are putting there planes away because it's gotten to dark for them to see.

Long live the small electrics!
tpstorey is offline Find More Posts by tpstorey
Old Oct 31, 2002, 12:00 AM
Oakdale, MN, USA
Joined Sep 2001
379 Posts
another scenario

Life sometimes gets busy for us all. Had to visit someone in the hospital last night. My wife and I went shopping afterward for my grandson's birthday. End result, home after 10 PM without flying. Wife knew about my Curtek Nav Lights on my Slowstick, but had never seen them firsthand.

At 10:30 PM, in the street in front of our house, with minimal wind, I fired up the Slowstick with my wife watching in the front yard. Eighteen minutes later, the pack started to fade, so I brought it in for the third night landing inthe street. She thought it was so cool she said I "needed to get more of those for your other planes."

Matthew, are you listening? I need more lights!

Actually, my point is I didn't even have to waste ten minutes driving around the block to the park. Didn't have to spend any time loading the truck. The battery stayed warm until I took it outside. There is a lot to be said for the sponteneity of night flight in our northern latitudes.

Regards,

Dale Case
Dale Case is offline Find More Posts by Dale Case
Old Oct 31, 2002, 01:18 AM
Got Lights?
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Joined Jul 2002
312 Posts
In case that came off as an advertisement, flying without the lights is still a thrill. We did it for quite some time in a local Tim Horton's parking lot and those were around the times the Curtek Lighting System was birthed =) It was too long of a drive to the coffee shop parking lot and we had a huge field near the airport that was begging to be 'crop dusted' after hours.

Yes Dale I hear your outcry. =) The parts are officially headed my way and now I am working aggressively to refine the system while I can before the parts show up.

How about chemical luminescence? I found a company that manufactures and sells the appropriate chemicals (somewhat expensive), normally used for such processes as production of the glowing portion on the hands of a watch. One could easily mix it with a clear coat or something else and make some brutal glowing leading edge strips.

And with that I will cease my comments and return this thread to "Flying at night without lights on your plane". Anyways have fun guys and I am always around to answer questions about this stuff.

Regards,
Matthew J. Currie
Curtek Systems
mcu-electric is offline Find More Posts by mcu-electric
Old Oct 31, 2002, 01:36 AM
Slowstick Flyer
NW Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
137 Posts
im gonna be doing some night flying once I get my plane TX and RX. There is a well lighted church not even 1/2 mile from my home I will be flying in with around 3 acre parking lot with grass around it. Very large flying area.
CB435 is offline Find More Posts by CB435
Old Oct 31, 2002, 01:53 AM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2001
248 Posts
Is it possible to get a black light or dark purple light to put on planes?? having my plane lit up is not enough I want crepy looking psycodellic glowing plane... with the white bottom of the tigermoth wings it would be cool...what about those lights that have a fan blowing on a flame colored fabric to simulate fire..just put them on a plane with a light and you could have a flaming plane
SpaKack is offline Find More Posts by SpaKack
Old Oct 31, 2002, 06:13 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,586 Posts
Be brave!

Fly at night, guided by nothing but the sound of your motor:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=66061
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old Nov 20, 2002, 08:04 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
pics
Old Nov 20, 2002, 08:17 PM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
651 Posts
Funny, while anxiously waiting for Mathew's lights I spotted some glow in the dark acrylic paints (red/pink, green, and plain glow-in-the-dark) in the local craft store. I tried airbrushing them on my DuskStik wing. To bad the glow only lasted for a minute or so. The red and green were a total failure. There was some ambient light from distant street lights which washed out what little glow there was.
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs
Old Nov 20, 2002, 08:23 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
my dogs eyes look a little spooky
Old Nov 20, 2002, 08:27 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
1 more
Old Jun 16, 2006, 05:16 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1 Posts
Just installed a kit from http://www.glowire.com/ and took my Twinjet out for a night trial....ABSOLUTELY AWSOME! It was a breeze to fly and the different color lights on the entire leading edge of each wing and tail made it easier to make out its direction & orientation than in daylight.

I just ordered 2 more kits and cant wait till they arrive....
twistedpile is offline Find More Posts by twistedpile