SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2007, 12:49 AM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,162 Posts
Help!
Sinking a CF spar into the PZ Spitfire Wing.. Any Suggestions

Needing to sink a CF spar into the wing. I'm hoping not to mare the finish extensively. So I'm up to creative suggestions.. please chim in.
brati4 is offline Find More Posts by brati4
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2007, 01:49 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
i've been thinking about the same thing...thinking of using the spar system in an old ef p-47 wing...i think the dihedral is about the same...i would cut into the foam and run the spar from wing skid to wing skid...seal her up and repaint the entire model's underside aircraft gray...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old May 31, 2007, 02:16 AM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,162 Posts
Good point the left wing folded at the root. I think a spar at the point of your simulated landing gear will cover it but end to end would ensure. Prior to the crash I had to touch up the cowling. The shade I found that matched the cowling is RAF sky grey I believe. Either way the color shade is what ever the Brits used from the factory. It matched perfectly. The wing on the other hand is a different shade, so I guess I could repaint it.

Nice garage ceiling, starting to look like mine. I'm gonna try the Align 430, 3550 Kv in my next project. Whatever that may be. I maidened the P-51 with the six series motor, definately an awesome combo. The sound of the motor is better/different than my Aon. I don't know if its the stock prop or the motor windings. I can't wait to see what the eflite props gonna be like. Thanks for the help on my builds.

If you decide to offload any of your prior projects, pm me. I'd definately be interested in helping to clean out your garage.
Old May 31, 2007, 08:23 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,527 Posts
There is a thread on the PZ FW190 where the guy did put a spar in the wing. Just do a search it was really simple.
KenP is offline Find More Posts by KenP
Old May 31, 2007, 12:06 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
There is a thread on the PZ FW190 where the guy did put a spar in the wing. Just do a search it was really simple.
Thanks for the info, but the wing from the FW is a laminate shell and can be cut open simply by cutting the tape holding it together and inserting a CF rod or shaft. The Spit's wing is solid foam with a laminate coating. Unfortunately wing mods like the Mustang /FW don't apply here.
Old May 31, 2007, 02:04 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,527 Posts
Oh ok I have not seen a PZ Spitfire yet and assumed the wings were the same as the P51 and FW.

You could use another trick I have seen used in the jet pusher forum. Use a dremel with a round router bit and the router collar. Set the collar to the depth you want the channel and follow a straight edge. That way you would get a nice straight channel to put the rod in. Join the center of two carbon rods with a bent piece of piano wire.
Old May 31, 2007, 04:06 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
nice tip ken...
Old Jun 01, 2007, 12:01 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,527 Posts
Go to this thread post #13

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554589

Good luck
Old Jun 04, 2007, 01:42 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
here's my cf spar install experiment on a broken wing...no glue used as i just wanted to see what it would like...if i was to do this mod, i would only run the spar from wing skid to wing skid...the inboard ends of the spars would be joined thru an aluminum tube bent to match the wing's dihedral...
Old Jun 04, 2007, 09:42 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,527 Posts
If you are going to go with a flat spar and want to save a bit of cash go with some 1/32 ply and do the same thing.