SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 30, 2002, 08:45 AM
Joined Feb 2001
316 Posts
Asw-27, Asw-28, 82"

Anyone have experince with these scale ASW-27, -28's from Noretheast Sailplane? Which would be preferable, the -27 or -28?

ASW-27 or ASW-28 (2m)
Wingspan: 82", Wing area: 269 sq. in., Weight: 20 oz., Wingloading: 11 oz./sq. ft., Airfoil: S3010 mod, Skill level:INT/INT, Radio: micro receiver, 4 sub-micro servos, standard receiver (micro receiver preferred) 600mah battery pack

Both the ASW-27 and ASW 28 are the most modern and current versions of competition ships designed by Schleicher, Flugzeugbau in Germany. The ASW-28 was just released in the production version this year. Both sailplanes are semi-scale reproductions of their full scale counterparts. In full size, the ASW-28 is a standard class ship which means 15 meters with ailerons and spoilers. The ASW-27 is a 15 meter racing class sailplanes, which means 15 meter wingspan, but also using for flaps and camber changing. Both these 2 meter reproductions share the same fuselage and have ailerons, elevator, and rudder controlled by 4 servos (one in each wing). The ASW-28 has larger winglet and triple taper wings, faithful to the overall design of the full scale glider. This has been an improvement upon its predessesor, the ASW-24 . The wing area has been increased for better sinkrate.

Generally at the 2 meter size, a scale sailplane is best used on the slope. The high aspect ratio wings and smooth design make for a fast sailplane with very good speed range and penetration. The ailerons are adequate for good roll control and, with addition of rudder input, both the ASW-28 and the ASW-27 will thermal well on a good day.

What is most impressive besides the performance is the construction. These are fully built, hollow molded sailplanes. The wings are finished with the winglets molded into the wing and the ailerons cut and hinged using the living hing method. The tail surfaces are finished and ready to go. The clear acrylic canopy is fitted to the fiberglass tray and fitted to the fuselage. The wing joiner system is also installed and ready to go. The picture you see above is the sailplane simply taken out of the box and assembled. To take this picture the assembly time was less than 10 minutes. One simply needs to install the controls and radio system.
Carter is offline Find More Posts by Carter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2002, 08:31 AM
leadville colorado
Joined Oct 2002
62 Posts
Carter, Sorry I can not help with any flying info, but I have an ASW 28 kit here and I can tell you it is beautiful! I am a bit concerned as the wing is so narrow, looks as if it will fly fast. Just like the ad says , you can put it together right out of the box. Bob.
2milehighguy is online now Find More Posts by 2milehighguy
Old Oct 31, 2002, 02:01 PM
Joined Feb 2001
316 Posts
I've already cracked up a scale Disucs, and have bruised my small FVK ASW-24; I am reluctant to bang up another beautifyul scale sailplane, and think if I get another I'll hang it from th eceiling in the living room, and content myself admiring it that way. Can't bear to see those beautiful white sailplanes get hurt....

Anway, this plane looks like a good candidate for slope soaring, though I havn't read anything about it's flying characteristics.
Old Nov 03, 2002, 07:30 PM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Oct 2002
95 Posts
ASW 27 & 28

Carter,
I was intersted in purchasing one about a year ago and looked all over for information. I know that it was also being sold by f3x.com. They had pictures on their website of it flying before they discontinued selling it. I also know icare-rc.com sells it and they may also have flying experience with it. If you find out, let us all know.

Chris
car4 is offline Find More Posts by car4
Old Nov 04, 2002, 12:35 PM
Ex Hillhog
Finland
Joined Feb 2002
351 Posts
I have the 28, nice quality and looks really pretty. The advertised weight is very optimistic, mine came out a lot heavier, about 31.5 Oz. The instructions recommend installing the elevator servo in the tail (I used a HS-81), which makes the plane come out tail heavy. So one could save a few ounces by using a pushrod for the elevator. Flies ok, but obviously due to the weight and small wing area it needs pretty good lift to stay up. It will drop a wing if one tries to slow down too much or make too tight curves. The ailerons are not very big, so rolls are rather scale-like, slow and long.

The 27 uses the same profile and fuse, so it would probably be very similar. The larger 3-meter versions would certainly have better flying characteristics, but of course price goes up quite a lot..

Tauno
tknuutti is offline Find More Posts by tknuutti
Old Nov 04, 2002, 01:06 PM
Northern CA
Joined Feb 2001
53 Posts
Carter,

If you don't mind some assembly, the 100" ASW-27B from Multiplex is very easy to fly and flies in both heavy and light wind conditions. Most importantly, it has flaps for landing. I fly mine with 13 oz. of ballast even in the lightest conditions - it almost needs that extra weight to fly effectively; specs out regularly like that. Interestingly, it's probably the most versatile slope plane I've got.

Of course, having close to 90 degrees of flaps helps float the plane to a stop where you want so landings are pretty much uneventful. If I were getting either of the ones from NSP, my personal preference would be to cut flaps in the wing panel if I were planning on flying them a lot in areas with rough landing zones.

- Vijay
V Ram is offline Find More Posts by V Ram
Old Nov 06, 2002, 08:29 AM
Joined Feb 2001
316 Posts
Multiplex ASW

V Ram:

I went to the Mutliplex site and looked at the model. It looks very nice. How was construction?

How slow will it go with 90 degrees flaps, anything like a floater? Or does 90 degrees flaps have an airbrake and lift cutting effect?

Any tip stall tendencies?

Do you have any pics?

Thanks.
Old Nov 06, 2002, 01:47 PM
Northern CA
Joined Feb 2001
53 Posts
Carter,

There is a bit of construction - about a weeks worth. The instructions are very complete. It has a full decal sheet of scale markings to dress up the plane - something that's often missing from most scale plane kits.

Mine was slightly modified during construction to allow for 90 degrees of flaps (the left and right flaps were swapped and bottom hinged instead of top hinged as in the instructions).

They do about 45 degrees as normally set up in the kit. After some flying, I found that 45 degrees was actually fine. Just deploy the flaps and then use the throttle stick to adjust the ailerons (spoilerons) and float the plane down to a predictable, slow landing.

If you set the flaps for 90 degrees as with mine, then they will virtually stop the plane where it is, so they should be used only when you're close to the ground. Using a crow-mixing type setup on the throttle stick, the plane will slide less than a foot on landing.

Flying-wise, it's a real predictable and easy flying plane - tip stalling has never been a problem (although it can happen to any plane if slowed down too much). With 13 ozs. of ballast, it's nicely aerobatic as well.

I don't have pictures of mine, but S&E Modeler (recently renamed to "Quiet Flyer") had an article on the plane a several issues back. When finished and with decals applied, the plane looks spectacular on the ground and in the sky.

- Vijay
V Ram is offline Find More Posts by V Ram
Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:31 PM
Joined Nov 2002
179 Posts
I currently own and fly the 28. The only difference between the two is the number of tapers in the wing. At reynolds #'s this low I don't think one will notice the difference. It balanced dead on w/o nose weight when equiped w/720mah NiMH pack and R/E servos in the belly under the seat pan. It flies fast and requires airspeed and lift, but not as much as say a Gerasis or Robbe FOX. But with the way it handles I am going to use that formula detailed in last months "Quiet Flyer" and see if that stab is up to snuff. It acts like it is just too small. I am going to add alittle area to it with some scrap balsa and see what happens. OBTW, the cg can go way back from what is shown. I shimmed up the T/E of the stab approx. 1/16" also and it helped performance A LOT! When the winds come back this spring I will be able to do some more flight testing.

The MPX 27 is a great flyer. But if you don't have much time, look into the DG 600 2.7-3.2m at Icare or NSP. Goes together FAST and flies GREAT! If you run across a Gerasis DG 600, grab it! They can fly in the same lift a Zagi flies in. Makes it easy to judge if it safe to fly your scale jewel.

In short, if you want a scale ship, don't go below 100" (2.4m). Performance REALLY becomes "less scale-like".
Capn Crunchie is online now Find More Posts by Capn Crunchie
Old Nov 22, 2002, 09:24 PM
Joined Nov 2002
179 Posts
OOps! Don't know how that carbon copy email got in there!
(MODERATORS NOTE: I deleted the carbon copy post.)

My 28 came out at 24oz. w/Hitec 555 and ciruss 21's. Also added carbon in the belly from nose to center of chord. 'Twas a bit too flexy for my likings. A plywood tray under the dashboard allowed me to piggyback RX/battery and a place to mount the switch.

I am also going to get out my incedence meter and shoot the wings/tail and see what I have. I suspect one wing has more incedence since it ALWAYS drops first. Hmmm, while I am at it I think I will laterally balance this thing also. Couldn't hurt, ya reckon' ?

I have a quest. I WILL make this little jewel shine in the air as well as the ground !!! Then, and only then, after I am done with the rough landings will I finally put on the decals and make it look all purty and such. 8^p
Capn Crunchie is online now Find More Posts by Capn Crunchie
Last edited by Mauilvr; Dec 05, 2002 at 10:28 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 08:43 AM
Hawaii
Joined Jun 2002
294 Posts
ASW 27 Multiplex

I have to agree with Vijay regarding comments on the Multiplex ASW 27. It is one of the most versitile Sailplanes I have owned. I flew it twice last week. Once in light lift and light thermal and a few days latter in very solid lift. Both times without balst. The plane realy moves out and with the flaps it slows down and land nicley. I will have to try flying it with balast one day. You wont go wrong with this plane.
Doug
Dugman is offline Find More Posts by Dugman
Old Jul 14, 2003, 03:22 PM
vancouver island
Joined Feb 2003
52 Posts
is there any one that could tell me the flying comparisons to the dg 600(multiplex) and the asw 27(also multiplex that you guys are talking about?
TURNANDBURN is offline Find More Posts by TURNANDBURN
Old Jul 14, 2003, 05:03 PM
Montreal St. Hubert, Canada
Joined Jun 2003
201 Posts
HI,DOUG

ARE YOU FLYING YOUR MULTIPLEX 27 FROM A SLOPE OR ARE YOU FLAT GROUND THERMALING?

WHY I WANT TO KNOW IS BECAUSE THERE IS REALLY NO GOOD SLOPES AROUND ME.SO I WANT TO KNOW IF IT WOULD MAKE A GOOD FIRST SCALE PLANE?I LIVE RIGHT NEXT TO ICARE BUT AFTER READING WHAT THE GUYS WERE SAYING ABOUT THE FULLY MOLDED SHIPS,GETS ME A LITTLE NERVOUS.OR WOULD YOU SUGGEST SOMTHING ICARE WOULD HAVE THAT WOULD HAVE SIMILAR QUALITES TO OUR MULTIPLEX?

IN A NUT SHELL I WANT A SCALE PLANE THAT IS EASY TO BUILD AND FLY,AND THAT CAN THERMAL WELL.

THANK YOU

DANIEL
GHOST RIDER is offline Find More Posts by GHOST RIDER
Old Jul 14, 2003, 06:16 PM
Hawaii
Joined Jun 2002
294 Posts
Multiplex asw 27

I think the MUltiplex ASW 27 would make a good thermaler if you are going to airtow. Maybe good even off of a winch but am not sure.
I have flown my ASW on slope in very light lift when most of my other gliders would not stay up. The plane is the best scale I have seen for the money. I am not too familair with the Icare products. I would imagine they carry great flying planes but for the performance to dollar on your first scale plane the multiplex is hard to beat. There is instruction for setting up an airtow release.

Good luck
Doug
Dugman is offline Find More Posts by Dugman
Old Aug 03, 2003, 11:39 AM
PiLoTuS pArKfLyIcOuS
Dub Cee, California
Joined Aug 2002
928 Posts
i just picked up an asw 27 from multiplex...

(102") and am wondering if anyone can give me some pointers.

this is the older model with only a single bay in the wing for ailerons. but, the wings have been pre-cut/channeled to have flaps and ailerons (i think). do you guys think i should router out another bay to house two servos? (for flaps and ailerons)

if not, how does this model fly with just ailerons? the instructions say an 'air brake' can be mixed in with a computer radio (does this mean spoilerons?)

what kind of servos do you guys recommend for the wings and what ones for the rudder and elevator? is a rudder a must or can i do without it? how do you guys feel about installing two mirco servos in the tail instead of running cable to them? a friend on the slope once mentioned that a 'bell crank' housing is best to keep the slop down.

also, the instructions say it is optional to 'glass' the wings. do you guys think it's neccesary? what about installing the wing tips? this kit doesnt come with pre-made ones but does have the material to make them. what exactly does the wing tips do?

also, did anyone have to modify/shimm the h-stab any? how's the incedence with the plane set to manufacturers spec?

i'd like to get any help i can get since im new to both scale flying and the overall size of the plane.

thanks.
torcgolf is offline Find More Posts by torcgolf
Last edited by torcgolf; Aug 03, 2003 at 12:23 PM.