HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2007, 04:14 PM
Oh no...hot glue is gone again
Tennessee
Joined Feb 2007
922 Posts
Discussion
My first (and coolest) Aero Ace mod

Check it out. It lasts a day or two, then you replace it and keep flying. All you need is some index cards and scotch tape. This is to extend the wings to almost double wingspan. (Only been tested on the Sport)

Tape them on, evenly, top and bottom. Make sure they aren't crooked and especially not creased. Trim the wings by bending the cards slightly. When they look symmetrical, go test it out. This thing gets GREAT lift, and I even had my plane hovering against the wind for 5 seconds. Just avoid big gusts and sharp banks - these cause the paper wing tips to flutter, which sends the plane into a hard, nose-first landing. It banks real well, looks neat when it flies. I might do some Sharpie painting on the new wing tips. When the old ones get worn (creased, wrinkled, torn, etc) just carefully peel them off and tape on a new set.

PS - if you got landing gear like mine, don't expect any takeoffs. The plane always tilts to one side on the ground when you rev it up.
catman529 is offline Find More Posts by catman529
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2007, 06:49 PM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
Cool! slightly curved and bent index cards for airfoil. That is nice mod.
jas_Qfix is offline Find More Posts by jas_Qfix
Old May 30, 2007, 08:35 PM
X-Twin-Freak
Stuttgart/Germany
Joined Feb 2007
83 Posts
I like the wheels. Look out for thermal air! No need of bigger wings, I lost the same plane with full empty lipo.
Hans Wurst is offline Find More Posts by Hans Wurst
Old May 30, 2007, 10:30 PM
Tennessee
Joined Feb 2007
922 Posts
If your plane porpoises, slightly bend the front edge of each paper wing down a bit. I had some awesome high-altitude flying this evening. It flies so smooth you would think it was a real plane! (except for the shape)
Old May 30, 2007, 11:21 PM
Duane Cruz
Osan AB Korea
Joined Feb 2007
179 Posts
For a more permanent application, get yourself some EPP and patern it with the ends of your stock wings. I tested the lengths and I found that the longer the wingends the slower and less responsive it reacts to your controls. So now I have about a 2 1/2" addons. I've had mine done since I bought it stock (5 months ago)and still going strong. Great indoors as well! Low speed t/o and the landings are so smooth! Just my little addition to the fun.

Duane
Duane Cruz is offline Find More Posts by Duane Cruz
Old May 31, 2007, 08:09 AM
Tennessee
Joined Feb 2007
922 Posts
that looks great Duane, definitely something to keep on your plane. I have thought of using foam for mine, but right now these index cards do the trick perfectly. where did you get your landing gear? I can't take off on mine because it's too narrow and the extra wing area causes it to tip in even the slightest breeze.
Old May 31, 2007, 10:04 AM
Duane Cruz
Osan AB Korea
Joined Feb 2007
179 Posts
I made the LG with .06mm piano wire and hotwheels truck tires. I love it because it takes off and taxi's like a dream! This is an outstanding thread for that type of landing gear. I think perfect for that model. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...a+landing+gear

Here's a pretty good video of it in action. Bit breezy, but you'll see how nice it all works.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679696

Happy flying! Duane
Duane Cruz is offline Find More Posts by Duane Cruz