HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS4CEO, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:13 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined May 2003
206 Posts
Great Idea!

I think the Lonely Bird program is a great idea!
As recently as a few years ago I felt like a lonely bird even though I bought my Slow Stick from my local hobby store here in the USA!
They only wanted to sell complete kits or props or someone else's much more expensive much more fragile airplane.
I got wise though and started ordering parts from other vendors with an internet site. That worked great for about a year.
The next problem was that too many places were out of stock, so I started
to buy extra parts every time I ordered.
The good news is that I still have enough parts for an extra few slow sticks.
Then I decided to build my own foamies. No parts problem that way!
Next I wanted to buy a TM400 NPS. It was tough, but I finally found one,
so I bought two. I'm still a big GWS fan. After the TM400, I can't decide between all the new choices!

Thanks Mr Lin!
allesg is offline Find More Posts by allesg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:23 AM
Gloves are awkward
Preston, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,181 Posts
Not to sure if its a great idea or not? If GWS are planning this why dont they just sell all there products online themselves with international shipping?
ipjodan is offline Find More Posts by ipjodan
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:40 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,690 Posts
Would you read the first post of this thread again, my friend.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Jun 26, 2007, 09:57 AM
Gloves are awkward
Preston, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,181 Posts
Hello Chen,

Re-read the post.

Quote:
Will be post on GWS web soon.
Does that mean your products will be up on the Website for sale soon? If thats what your planning on doing, im sorry, ive missed the point of this thread since it started. I dont think i understand the lonely bird program properly.

Joseph
Old Jun 26, 2007, 09:59 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,690 Posts
Hi Joseph,

My boss might not have meant that. He intended to help those who could not be helped by their LHS/dealers for what they need in their countries, and these dealers just stock some GWS products only, or even nothing GWS at all. Then they could contact service@gws.com.tw asking this program, but the postage would be more $$$.

I think JP in UK stocks most of GWS stuffs, it's not hard for you to order the same from your LHS.

Chen
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:18 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Hi Joseph,

.........................I think JP in UK stocks most of GWS stuffs, it's not hard for you to order the same from your LHS.

Chen
Woah Chen,

I'm sorry but if you're under the impression that JP stock most GWS stuff then may I suggest you check out their web site - noting particularly the number of kits that are out of stock and the variants that we can't get at all. I'm very concerned if anyone at GWS thinks that JP are doing anything more than a barely adequate job in representing GWS in the UK - a significant market opportunity. JP may be doing better than many other European importers but from what I've read that wouldn't be hard.

Anyone who relies only on JP for information or product wouldn't be able to get any of the limited range of slope gliders JP stock except the 262 until August at the earliest. Similarly there's only one 190 variant imported and they can't get that until August at the earliest either. Its a painted NPS for which at current rates of exchange they'd pay around $67 US. In the US I could buy the same plane with a 2215 motor for $75 or a white one, with 2215 motor, for $60. Potential GWS customers looking at the JP site wouldn't even know about the T-6, F-15 or P-40 let alone have the faintest idea when they might be able to buy one. JP are announcing as a "new" product the Picomoth NPS because they've only just started to stock it. Don't even think about a Picomoth SG.

So I'm afraid it is not as easy as you might think to buy "most" GWS stuff in LHS in the UK.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Jun 27, 2007 at 12:27 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 04:14 AM
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
Agree with Roger. And, if you are unfortunate enough to have a totally useless LHS like I have, you have to rely on the web based hobby shops - who rely on JP. Also, if you 'put in an order' with your LHS,, they either wait for their 'next order' - which may be never - or they want to charge you for the extra freight they have to pay for a single delivery. Not good.

That said, there are some shops from whom you can do mail order (at a price of course) who are good - providing they can get the stock.
Hangar Rat is offline Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
Last edited by Hangar Rat; Jun 27, 2007 at 04:16 AM. Reason: So as to credit thos shops who do try..
Old Jun 27, 2007, 05:44 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,690 Posts
Hi Roger & Ratty,

I'd believe that JP would always reply to users' requests with positive answers. And I've noticed that they're trying hard to import GWS new stuffs as more as possible. Be reminded the shipment of their orders normally take 5 weeks to reach UK by sea. Probablly running a business would be harder than what we know. Well, I do not have any idea about marketing policy applied by them, your LHS and another dealers, either. There're many on line stores in the world, you could either support your local LHS or order what you'd like to have from these stores, the European ones or US ones or even Asian ones.

Chen
Last edited by GWS CHEN; Jun 27, 2007 at 06:07 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 06:26 AM
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
Don't worry Chen, I am just having my standard dig at JP and my LHS! Obviously if they have the stuff we want, we can get it but, for example, I have just looked at JP's site and I don't see either a powered FW190 or the SG version, only the NPS. I'm probably just a grumpy old guy...

I just think that it would be wonderful to have ALL the versions available when WE want them - rather then waiting - shipping delays totally understood. Now, Steve Webb's shop does have the Corsair SG - so maybe after the P-40... My first one was retired hurt a long time ago.
Cheers
Ratty
Old Jun 27, 2007, 07:24 AM
Captured RAF FW - 190
Worcestershire, UK
Joined Nov 2006
300 Posts
Yes this is very true, only the nps versions 'usually unpainted' is all that seems to be available at the moment. Every time I put an order in somewhere I'm told a few days later its not in stock and have to wait for JP to get stock. And there is only a few models like mentioned before there are jets like ME 262 and A-10 but I still see no B-2 or F-15 advertised at model shops I use yet here.
I'm looking forward to getting an F-15 but not sure about the international postage cost
300s is offline Find More Posts by 300s
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:20 AM
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
Off Topic
300S pse check your pers msgs
Thanks
Ratty
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:47 PM
Captured RAF FW - 190
Worcestershire, UK
Joined Nov 2006
300 Posts
ok, reply sent.
---------------------------------------
300s is offline Find More Posts by 300s
Old Jun 27, 2007, 05:15 PM
Gloves are awkward
Preston, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,181 Posts
Thanks for the backup from this side of the pond. I bet im not alone when looking at allerc or epyaya to name just 2 US hobby shops that have pages and pages of GWS spares at cheap US prices, to be envious of our American friends.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:24 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Hi Roger & Ratty,

I'd believe that JP would always reply to users' requests with positive answers. And I've noticed that they're trying hard to import GWS new stuffs as more as possible. Be reminded the shipment of their orders normally take 5 weeks to reach UK by sea. Probablly running a business would be harder than what we know. Well, I do not have any idea about marketing policy applied by them, your LHS and another dealers, either. There're many on line stores in the world, you could either support your local LHS or order what you'd like to have from these stores, the European ones or US ones or even Asian ones.

Chen
Chen,
In post #1 of this thread Mr Lin said the "Lonely Fliers" scheme would cover three possibilities:

1. There was no importer in your country selling GWS.

2. The importer do not carry the exactly items of GWS products you need.

3. The importer was out of stock for a long time for such items, yet did not order from GWS so far.

OK so we have an importer in the UK but conditions 2 & 3 still apply.

As you say yourself it takes (at least) 5 weeks to ship to the UK. Add to that that JP only place an order on GWS every two months or so. Eight weeks from order to ship, six weeks to ship and clear customs, two weeks to get to LHS stock - 16 weeks - no good to me.

Even if JP have the item in stock the LHS will only add it to their next order. I think I'm right in saying JP have a minimum order value of 200. My nearest "listed" GWS dealer is doing well if it places three orders a year. I'm guessing there are only three to five dealers in the UK who order from JP on a weekly basis and I already use two of them.

I'm not trying to get into an argument with you, my friend. Mr Lin asked if we thought it would be a good idea. I think it would.

I don't know any on-line dealer anywhere in the world (and I reckon I'm very well-informed!) who could match GWS in terms of potential stock availability. This is not the end of the world for any GWS dealer - they will all still enjoy our business but it will provide a "one stop shop" for things we want quickly or for things that would be hard to buy elsewhere. Except for paying for the shipping on an occasional earlybird or some other plane I simply can't get in the UK I'm really stuck for buying full kits anywhere but in the UK unless I'm prepared to (at least) double the price of the kit in airmail costs. It's really "small parts" that would (I think) be the bulk of the business for the Lonely Birds Scheme.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Jun 28, 2007, 01:08 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,690 Posts
Roger,

Please be reminded that JP always reply to users' requests with positive answers, and I'm very sure that you are one of these users. I've also repeatedly stated that I have no any idea about their marketing policy. It would certainly be an alternative idea for you and another friends if you all do not care about paying more $$ on the postage and longer waits for the shipment.

Chen

Edit: I've noticed JP placed 12 orders for the previous 12 months.
Last edited by GWS CHEN; Jun 28, 2007 at 01:39 AM.