HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2007, 02:17 PM
Joined Apr 2004
34 Posts
Discussion
Need info on old Futaba FS-10 Sail winch

Is anyone familiar with the Futaba FS-10 sail winch? I think it's very old. I just got one in an old sailboat. It almost looks like bakelite instead of plastic, but apparently was working with modern electronics in this boat.

Can't find any specs. at the Futaba site. My question is whether to pull it out straightaway and replace it, or give it a try and see how it works?

Could be slow, could be non-proportional, could be weak, could be a power hog. I thought maybe somebody could clue me in.

Thanks in advance!

Charles.
chall is offline Find More Posts by chall
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2007, 07:36 PM
Joined Apr 2004
34 Posts
Correction: Futaba FP-S10

Correction to the winch number (although I think the actual listing on the Futaba site is "S10"). All Futaba has is a cross-ref to a modern replacement winch.

I'm also attaching some pictures. Funny looking, isn't it?
Old May 30, 2007, 07:37 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
Hello Charles,

I have a REALLY old * Sanwa sailwinch in my largest boat - which is only 30" long !
Depite being almost as old as me, it works far better, though admittedly it is a little slow...
( * = as far as reliable radio control sets go - it was made in 1971 )

This is not really a problem though - as it has HUGE amounts of torque - as will your old Futaba winch...
By the time the yacht has been repositioned with respect to the wind, the winch has done with it's pulling...
( Does that make sense - I am an aeromodeller first and foremost - not a sailor ! )

I would give it a try before spending any money and forcing yourself into modifying the sheeting arrangements...
You can be sure that if you replace it with a new item, there will be nothing similar to the FS-10 in what you get, whatever you get.

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old May 30, 2007, 07:40 PM
Model Designer
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
My old Sanwa winch is about the same size as that...!!!
Way too much power for the size of yacht it is fitted into - but that was all that was available 35+ years ago...

Do not get your fingers in any pinch-points whilst that is travelling - or you will loose them !

Keven.
Old May 30, 2007, 07:40 PM
Model Designer
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
Charles,

Are you using a seperate power supply for that monster of a winch ?

In my old yacht I have a BEC system... a 5v regulator - which provides 5.2v from anything up to 14v.
The radio receiver is too old to be fitted with it's own BEC circuitry...

I use a 6-cell 1700mah buggy battery to provide voltage...
( I have model cars as well... )

Keven.
Last edited by keven64; May 30, 2007 at 07:47 PM. Reason: double posting !
Old May 30, 2007, 08:59 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Apr 2007
49 Posts
S10 Winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall
Is anyone familiar with the Futaba FS-10 sail winch? I think it's very old. I just got one in an old sailboat. It almost looks like bakelite instead of plastic, but apparently was working with modern electronics in this boat.

Can't find any specs. at the Futaba site. My question is whether to pull it out straightaway and replace it, or give it a try and see how it works?

Could be slow, could be non-proportional, could be weak, could be a power hog. I thought maybe somebody could clue me in.

Thanks in advance!

Charles.
The S10 Winch is a great winch with lots of torque. A friend of mine uses one in a US1 Mtr. race boat--drum style and an s10 arm winch in his Soling. These carry 600sq mtrs of sail and the winch has no problem handling it. The drum winch is faster than the armand I would say KEEP IT! Futaba has NO PARTS or drawings on this winch anymore as we burned one up and tried to get them to fix it---they sent it back to us.I use the 5801 drum in my Soling and my US1mtr which is the newer replacment but the cost is around $140 US. What are you using this on and how much sail area? Also is the S10 powered from battery, thru the winch and then back to the receiver as the 5801 is? We power both of these with 5 sub c batteries. You can use 4 AA but the 5 will be faster. Hope this helps--Bill.
5353billboat is offline Find More Posts by 5353billboat
Old May 30, 2007, 09:44 PM
Joined Apr 2004
34 Posts
My application is for an EC-12, which is a pretty big boat. Bigger than a Soling, and the 1 Meter too I imagine.
The previous owner had 4 "C" cells powering the winch and 4 AA's for the radio. (Doesn't make sense!) The more modern practice for EC-12's is to have a single 5-cell AA pack for both the radio and winch. Sounds like the winch will handle the 5-cell combo alright, based on your experience.

Thanks for all the replies! This is most helpful.
Old Jun 01, 2007, 07:25 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,493 Posts
Just noticed this one.
I have one exactly the same in my Marblehead. We use up to 1200sq" of sail area, and it can haul that in no problem. It is a great winch. I run mine on a 2s lithium pack, which also runs the RX and servos, so only one pack required in the boat. I have the drum cover removed, and larger side walls made on the drum to stop the line tangling up.
How old is a winch like that??

Barry
rcminiman is offline Find More Posts by rcminiman
Old Jun 01, 2007, 08:39 AM
Model Designer
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
1973, I believe...

The modern Futaba equivalent is the S5801...

Keven.