HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2007, 11:38 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,198 Posts
Discussion
It was 40 years ago today...Sgt. Pepper's

Well, at least one day this week. The story I was reading in my paper said the Beatles released Sgt. Pepper's 40 years ago this week.

40 years! Hard to believe it's been that long.

Easily one of the all time great albums, it's still turning people on after all these years. The cover is a classic that almost anyone recognizes. One of the all time great covers, too, IMO.

The album changed the way music was recorded and listened to. It wasn't just a collection of songs wrapped around a single or 2 - it was a novel.

Yet another example of the genius of the Beatles.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Last edited by CoastalFlyer; May 30, 2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old May 30, 2007, 11:44 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
You olde guys kill me, what with your "Beatles" and such.

My first record was a 45 off Yellow Submarine. Flip side was Helter Skelter.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old May 30, 2007, 11:50 AM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
733 Posts
Yeah I've got all their 45s and albums. English pressings mainly. Some US, for Magical Mystery Tour, Hey Jude and whatever others that were EPs there, LPs here.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old May 30, 2007, 11:54 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog

My first record was a 45 off Yellow Submarine. Flip side was Helter Skelter.
I also am a bit tired of them. I was in a couple different rock bands when I was in high school, and about 1/3 of the music we did was Beatles.
I was immersed in Beatles music in the mid 60's, and it's worn out a bit by now.

Some other old stuff that still sounds good today that I still listen to, though, are:
Duncan Browne - Give Me Take You
The Left Banke
Herbie Mann - At the Village Gate (OK, not rock but it's great stuff)
Bread (and other David Gates stuff)

A lot of old music just sounds old, but some still sounds just plain good.

And you remember the old "Paul is dead" rumors? They got that wrong.
It's really John and George; they're the dead ones.
Paul just feels like he'd rather be dead after he went through his recent divorce.
I think he's still ticked off that she never danced with him while they were married but now she just goes around and dances with any clown...

HF
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old May 30, 2007, 11:55 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Dog
Watch yer tongue, young'un.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old May 30, 2007, 01:04 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
I found it quite interesting that President Putin learned English from the Beatles records when they were forbidden in the Soviet Union.
Too bad their message didn't get thru also.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old May 30, 2007, 01:39 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,491 Posts
I just acquired a new CD, Yellow Matter Custard.

It's like hearing a contemporary Beatles concert. Great!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Matter_Custard
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old May 30, 2007, 01:54 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer
Well, at least one day this week. The story I was reading in my paper said the Beatles released Sgt. Pepper's 40 years ago this week.

40 years! Hard to believe it's been that long.

Easily one of the all time great albums, it's still turning people on after all these years. The cover is a classic that almost anyone recognizes. One of the all time great covers, too, IMO.

The album changed the way music was recorded and listened to. It wasn't just a collection of songs wrapped around a single or 2 - it was a novel.

Yet another example of the genius of the Beatles.
Brilliant brilliant album - brilliant songs, brilliant performance and earth shattering in it's impact. Thanks for the reminder- I'll definitely give it a spin later on.

Fantastic album sleeve as well. I spoofed it for a cover for a bootleg of one of my favourite artists gigs and included dozens of his forum members on the CD sleeve. Happy days.

Maybe it would be a good one to do an LTUP project for - get each poster to record their own cover of a single track in time for the 41st anniversary? Surely we could do that given a year? Waddya say HF? Dan? Rick?
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old May 30, 2007, 01:55 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
598 Posts
I was about 10 when they split up. They were just a band, not gods. They did some good music, but this continued worship of them will hopefully soon die out.
By the way I do still like the films, especially "magical mystery tour" I have the EP in mint with its book like sleeve.
Sgt peppers is an important record in rock history. But that does not mean I have to like it.
They were in the fortunate position when they recorded that album, that unlike other bands of the time, they had the money and artistic freedom to indulge themselves and create things that other bands financially and contractually were unable to attempt.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old May 30, 2007, 02:02 PM
Joined Jan 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
Maybe it would be a good one to do an LTUP project for - get each poster to record their own cover of a single track in time for the 41st anniversary? Surely we could do that given a year? Waddya say HF? Dan? Rick?
Thats a good idea. What do we do, just record a track and submit it or bag a track, or you decide who does what?
Old May 30, 2007, 02:15 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
What about the 40th anniversary of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" in 2012? Are we going to celebrate that too?
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old May 30, 2007, 02:17 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
I was about 10 when they split up. They were just a band, not gods. They did some good music, but this continued worship of them will hopefully soon die out.

I was a young teen when they went big, so my cynical comments aside, I was there throughout the entire musical transformation of the 60's from the very beginning.
They certainly weren't gods, but they are the sole driving force of everything that changed musically during that time period.

I recall the late 50's when the music was dominated by Elvis and the rest of the greasy headed, sport jacket wearing be-boppers and the "nice girl" singers with puffy skirts (is it just me or was Annette Funicello really HOT!?).
It was getting really boring, and you'd have to have been there and heard how different and, well, perfect, the new music these guys from Liverpool were doing.

I know when I first heard "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" that music was about to change and never be the same again.
That all sounds kind of grandiose, but like I said, you had to be there.

And Leccy, I hope you won't take this wrong especially considering my own history; but do you really want a bunch of pathetic old people playing this music again?
I cringe every time one of the PBS specials comes on with the 70 year old "rockers" doing the same stuff they did back then (omigod... Frankie Valley looks like a zombie; and every time a different band or artist steps up, my wife utters "I didn't know they were still alive").
These days, I pick up the Ric/12 or 335 and play around just for fun. But to actually produce again? I don't know about that one.

I will admit, though, that I picked up one of the new Fender G-Decs recently and it does have me thinking that I should maybe start a new band and.... naaahh. Just the whimsical thoughts of an old fart.

HF
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old May 30, 2007, 02:32 PM
Progress not Perfection
Palmdale, Ca.
Joined Dec 2005
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight
I was a young teen when they went big, so my cynical comments aside, I was there throughout the entire musical transformation of the 60's from the very beginning.
They certainly weren't gods, but they are the sole driving force of everything that changed musically during that time period.

I recall the late 50's when the music was dominated by Elvis and the rest of the greasy headed, sport jacket wearing be-boppers and the "nice girl" singers with puffy skirts (is it just me or was Annette Funicello really HOT!?).
It was getting really boring, and you'd have to have been there and heard how different and, well, perfect, the new music these guys from Liverpool were doing.

I know when I first heard "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" that music was about to change and never be the same again.
That all sounds kind of grandiose, but like I said, you had to be there.

And Leccy, I hope you won't take this wrong especially considering my own history; but do you really want a bunch of pathetic old people playing this music again?
I cringe every time one of the PBS specials comes on with the 70 year old "rockers" doing the same stuff they did back then (omigod... Frankie Valley looks like a zombie; and every time a different band or artist steps up, my wife utters "I didn't know they were still alive").
These days, I pick up the Ric/12 or 335 and play around just for fun. But to actually produce again? I don't know about that one.

I will admit, though, that I picked up one of the new Fender G-Decs recently and it does have me thinking that I should maybe start a new band and.... naaahh. Just the whimsical thoughts of an old fart.

HF
I agree with HF for once, you would have had to be there. I was ten years old when I first heard the Beatles, the combination of notes and rythem was unheard of before, totally new, very revolutionary. It was like a Close Encounters of the Third Kind sort of feeling. Two years after hold my hand, I remember riding the bus down to Wallichs music city in Torrence, Ca. to by "Sgt. Pepper", It was very expensive, 11.95, something like that, a lot of money then.
The only other band that gave me that felling was when I heard "LIght my fire" by the Doors.
wilscor41 is offline Find More Posts by wilscor41
Old May 30, 2007, 02:34 PM
Joined Jan 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooeeee!
What about the 40th anniversary of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" in 2012? Are we going to celebrate that too?
No No No
You will be wanting to celebrate "Y S" next. spit, spit, wash out mouth.
Nevermind the B heres the Sex Pistols, 2017 Thats more like it.
A band that impacted music world wide, to an extent pink floyd could only dream of. OK floyd sold more records, but the Sex pistols inspired more people to pick up a guitar and try, and more bands are doing "Punk Rock" than "Floyd music"
In fact inspirationally "The Velvet underground and Nico" has had an impact far beyond its record sales, its 50th anniversary is 2017, and Even Pink Floyd gained inspiration from that album along with David Bowie and a multitude of others.
Old May 30, 2007, 02:43 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
No No No
You will be wanting to celebrate "Y S" next. spit, spit, wash out mouth.
Nevermind the B heres the Sex Pistols, 2017 Thats more like it.
A band that impacted music world wide, to an extent pink floyd could only dream of. OK floyd sold more records, but the Sex pistols inspired more people to pick up a guitar and try, and more bands are doing "Punk Rock" than "Floyd music"
In fact inspirationally "The Velvet underground and Nico" has had an impact far beyond its record sales, its 50th anniversary is 2017, and Even Pink Floyd gained inspiration from that album along with David Bowie and a multitude of others.
Ah bullocks, where's the tongue-in-cheek smilies.. No I really don't care, It could be the Ziggy Stardust albumn for that matter. Besides I really like Elbow now.

You should be proud, your little nation-isle has been a source of some of the best, most influental, and popular music of the 20th and 21st centuries.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!