Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 08, 2007, 09:52 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetoblack
good to hear you guys are having fun with it! unfortunately the maiden for my micro ssx wasnt so successful. nothing wrong with the plane though - the wind was just too much for it to handle. it was just shoving it around all over the place, and after a short one minute flight it plowed it into the ground! i guess it was the wrong day to maiden it, but my friend and i were both eager to see it in action. will have to get on the repair job now, the wing has some major damage.
I can send you a partial kit so you don't need to cut parts; got lots of extra parts. Take a picture of the damage and I will put together a repair kit. I can also send some of the same covering. Cost should be minimal.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2007, 09:56 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDiggs
Well, I am now hooked. Took it out again after the pack charged up and was being greedy. Flew it too long and she came down with practically no power. I will say it is certainly durable!! Not even a scratch and it went into the gravel/grass mixed part of a parking lot nose first from a good 3ft up. I am using my DX7 with it, and have the rates cranked down pretty low, it is just too fast for me on high rates. Need to get the expo right and see what she can really do.

Have 3 packs coming from True RC so I don't abuse the one pack I have anymore. Don't normally fly a pack out like that, but just wanted a little more. Love how I don't need a huge area to fly in with it, and how responsive it is. The lack of throw on the elevator isn't a problem at all. I set the travel adjust so the elevator will lightly touch the rudder, but won't interfere with its movement and she will still snap up quick!!

As for the tail section getting installed too far forward, I think I could have balanced her just a touch better if I would have left it back where it should be. With everything as far forward as possible, it is still just a slight touch nose heavy.

A build vid would be great for this product. I hope people latch on to this plane, it is a lot of fun and has amazing performance for its size. I find it to be much more responsive than my standard SSX, but still doesn't do rolls very fast. Like I said, once I get the expo set correctly on high rates, I bet she will do a nice blender Hard to get it all setup the way I want with just a single pack. Should have bought a bunch from the get go. I am considering getting the build kit and covering one myself also. I would like another shot at building one now that I know where I messed up, even though it doesn't seem to cause any real problems. Flies well inverted also, and need to see if I can knife with it, although I can't do a knife well on any of my other birds, so I wouldn't be a good test candidate

Big or small, the SSX kits are both great, need to get started on my other SSX kit I have here. And I think I will be setting it up for night time flying. Don't have a place here to really use it yet, but SEFF 08 will be here before you know it !!

Diggs
Glad to see you are enjoying both my models. Your SSX looks great!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2007, 09:57 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy
I can send you a partial kit so you don't need to cut parts; got lots of extra parts. Take a picture of the damage and I will put together a repair kit. I can also send some of the same covering. Cost should be minimal.
Or you can send it back for repair.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2007, 10:19 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Glad to see you are enjoying both my models. Your SSX looks great!

Thanks, but I can only take credit for buying it, and putting the covered parts together and slapping that NEW black SSX decal on there. A buddy of mine that loves to build models got wind that I bought one and asked if he could build and cover it. He doesn't fly yet (he is hooked now), but I gave him a slow stick RTF for all the work he did. He is going to build my second kit as well, and we now both know how to avoid a few mistakes he made on the first one. He came out to fly today, but his SS wasn't quite right, and it was breezy. He loved the micro and was envious of the covering job on it. That SSX was his first time covering an RC kit. He has done tissue on actual models, but had never used the iron and heat gun. He did really well I think for his attempt. He has diabolical plans for the second covering job now that he has some skills.

Sorry to be so off topic, but.... It kinda fits

I see a build kit of the micro in my near future. Although the ARF was really nice. You use great components with this kit. The True RC pack, the hacker ESC/Motor combo and BB servos, all top notch. Again, well done!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jul 09, 2007, 12:53 PM
End of an Era.....
Hodges Hobbies...well 8 miles from there!!!
Joined Mar 2004
2,772 Posts
Duh!!!!!!! I'm so stoo-pid...got my threads mixed up! Na didn't get that one. Bill was gonna take it home and build it but, someone came in that day and bought it. Don't know who. I'm starting to fly my SSX at Macs so they will probably start selling once people see it fly. Hey!!! Maybe I need a Micro SSX to demo out there !!!!!!!
Tha Hodgehound is online now Find More Posts by Tha Hodgehound
Old Jul 09, 2007, 01:01 PM
#include <crashkit.h>
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Or you can send it back for repair.
i might just do that, if i dont have enough time to do the repairs. what would the repair charges be (excluding shipping and the actual pieces)?
fadetoblack is offline Find More Posts by fadetoblack
Old Jul 09, 2007, 01:21 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetoblack
i might just do that, if i dont have enough time to do the repairs. what would the repair charges be (excluding shipping and the actual pieces)?
I need to see how bad the damage is. Can you post a picture?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2007, 02:04 PM
#include <crashkit.h>
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
sure, i'll try to get one up tonight
fadetoblack is offline Find More Posts by fadetoblack
Old Jul 09, 2007, 10:04 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Coming soon!

I am working on a build video for the Micro SSX. I will keep you guys posted on the progress.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2007, 10:05 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
More Blue bird servo notes:

According to the distributor; “Blue Bird sub micro servos are very sensitive, turning the servo arm manually can affect the centering of the servo”.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2007, 12:58 PM
Nall-ified Pilot
Joined Jul 2007
21 Posts
James, was wondering (duh?!): In my Micro SSX kit I got a few 1/4" x 1/4" triangular pieces (braces of some sort) and some "extra" squares with fuse size holes (like what you make up the tail section for the fuse with). I can think of where I may want to put these for strengthening but wish to build right. Help?
Kruzer1 is offline Find More Posts by Kruzer1
Old Jul 11, 2007, 01:44 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzer1
James, was wondering (duh?!): In my Micro SSX kit I got a few 1/4" x 1/4" triangular pieces (braces of some sort) and some "extra" squares with fuse size holes (like what you make up the tail section for the fuse with). I can think of where I may want to put these for strengthening but wish to build right. Help?
The square parts are extra. The triangle parts are just in case you want some reinforcement. I use them after I have broken the motor mount and need to reinforce the repair. You really don't need them otherwise. I have been waiting for someone to ask this question.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jkarpy; Jul 11, 2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 09:30 PM
Nall-ified Pilot
Joined Jul 2007
21 Posts
James......Hey I don't mind, glad to accommodate. My one concern was that you were going to tell me they have to go in the wing I have already covered!
Spoke with Julie @ Bob's this evening. My stuff's on the way. Should have it by next Tuesday, so I can finish my baby.
Kruzer1 is offline Find More Posts by Kruzer1
Last edited by Kruzer1; Jul 12, 2007 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Omission
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:25 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzer1
James......Hey I don't mind, glad to accommodate. My one concern was that you were going to tell me they have to go in the wing I have already covered!
Spoke with Julie @ Bob's this evening. My stuff's on the way. Should have it by next Tuesday, so I can finish my baby.
When you get those Blue bird servos, make sure you tape the case together. It helps a lot. Also use the smaller servo arms; the control surfaces will center better. Also use the outside hole on all horns.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:41 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I have to agree, the outer hole is more than enough. The control surfaces do their job well. I am waiting on the MANY 480mah packs I have on order. Hope they get here soon so I can get more flight time in. My SSX and Micro are making my other planes jealous

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs