HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2007, 01:37 PM
Nall-ified Pilot
Joined Jul 2007
21 Posts
Thanks James. I guess it does look kinda catchy.*(Kruzer1 takes a bow LMBO)*
This will have to be a day plane. Will have to look at doing something for the night. Hodgehound's Night Stik was an absolute eye opener! Gotta get me one of those! We been doing BBQ burgers once a month after flying on Saturday evening. This would be perfect for an "Apres Sundown" session. We call ourselves the Farm 7 Flyers, here's a link to my local flying group's blog (not a registered club as yet).
http://ttsaa.blogspot.com/
Kruzer1 is offline Find More Posts by Kruzer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2007, 03:45 PM
End of an Era.....
Hodges Hobbies...well 8 miles from there!!!
Joined Mar 2004
2,856 Posts
Hey! Thanks for the compliment Kruzer!
Tha Hodgehound is offline Find More Posts by Tha Hodgehound
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2007, 09:16 PM
Nall-ified Pilot
Joined Jul 2007
21 Posts
Hodgehound u're most welcome! I am busy on a project (work) until next week or so while the rest of my parts get here, so that works out OK for now.
Kruzer1 is offline Find More Posts by Kruzer1
Old Jul 05, 2007, 12:52 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Lookin' good..

Should be several of these things flying very soon.. I've got a few days off to tinker..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jul 07, 2007, 08:24 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I received my ARF combo today. Wow, Micro is correct! For some reason I just didn't think it was this small, but it looks very cool. The factory covering job is spot on! I am going to get started on it now, was looking for a build thread and found this and got caught up reading Off to build, wish me luck. I hope to take it out tomorrow if the wind will allow. I also bought a vid cam today from newegg.com. So hopefully that will come this week and I can post a vid of this puppy in action.

Diggs

Oh, and Hodge, that is a piece of art you created with the SSX night flyer! I have my SSX up and running and am most happy with it. Feels like a big plane in the air, but is easy and graceful to fly.
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jul 07, 2007, 09:03 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDiggs
I received my ARF combo today. Wow, Micro is correct! For some reason I just didn't think it was this small, but it looks very cool. The factory covering job is spot on! I am going to get started on it now, was looking for a build thread and found this and got caught up reading Off to build, wish me luck. I hope to take it out tomorrow if the wind will allow. I also bought a vid cam today from newegg.com. So hopefully that will come this week and I can post a vid of this puppy in action.

Diggs

Oh, and Hodge, that is a piece of art you created with the SSX night flyer! I have my SSX up and running and am most happy with it. Feels like a big plane in the air, but is easy and graceful to fly.

Don’t let the wind stop you. The micro SSX has great wind penetration. I have flown it in a 15 mile per hour wind. Just do a Frisbee launch, 45 degrees or more into the wind. It should just keep going strait up.

One mistake guys have made in assembly is not placing the wing and tail at the correct distance from the fuselage ends, hence shortening the distance between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the stab. The correct distance is 6”; 5.1/4” if you measure from the ailerons. The fuselage does not need to extend all the way to the trailing edge of the stab/tail mount.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2007, 09:13 AM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,856 Posts
Quote:

Thanks alot Diggs! Everyone that sees it says what a great job I did! It really makes me proud if it because it was only my second attempt at covering! And the best part of it all is, she flies as good as she looks!!! No bad tendencies with this bird!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2007, 10:07 AM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
You guys please stop it with Richard.....his head is big enough already
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Jul 08, 2007, 10:53 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy

One mistake guys have made in assembly is not placing the wing and tail at the correct distance from the fuselage ends, hence shortening the distance between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the stab. The correct distance is 6”; 5.1/4” if you measure from the ailerons. The fuselage does not need to extend all the way to the trailing edge of the stab/tail mount.

Yep, guilty!! I did it too. Mine is very close to being completed and so far all looks great. I do have one question about the rudder/elevator. It doesn't seem there is enough clearance between the elevator and the rudder to allow a full 45 degree lift of the elevator. So pulling up quickly seems like it will be inhibited. I should get her out today, and saw the 15MPH comment in the directions last night. Which told me I was taking her out today and testing

Thanks,
Diggs
Old Jul 08, 2007, 11:36 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Yep, guilty!! I did it too. Mine is very close to being completed and so far all looks great. I do have one question about the rudder/elevator. It doesn't seem there is enough clearance between the elevator and the rudder to allow a full 45 degree lift of the elevator. So pulling up quickly seems like it will be inhibited. I should get her out today, and saw the 15MPH comment in the directions last night. Which told me I was taking her out today and testing

Thanks,
Diggs

Were you able to correct the distance between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the stab?

Make the throws as much as you can get without obstruction; should be close to 45 degrees.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2007, 07:32 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy
Were you able to correct the distance between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the stab?

Make the throws as much as you can get without obstruction; should be close to 45 degrees.
Nope, the CA had done its job properly before I realized that I don't follow direction well However she just flew her maiden, and with a touch of trimming she flew very well. I only have the one pack at the moment, so I didn't get to do much testing, just getting the trims set and testing how slow I can fly it before the nose drops. You are correct about the wind. I am guessing 5-8MPH as the speed tonight, and it flew fine. A bit jumpy as any plane in the wind, but I was kinda surprised. It sits down nice in tall grass too. Landed it twice and no problems. I am going to like this little thing, and see it being one of my main lunch time flyers.

Great product!!!

Diggs
Old Jul 08, 2007, 09:44 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,856 Posts
I see my Nite Stik has made yet another friend jealous (Jeff)! My head is not big! I just got lucky with my 2nd covering job and am very proud of how it turned out! he he he he I too am guilty of putting the fuse all the way into the tail block! I did not even know it until I read the post about 5 min. ago! It don't matter anyway! She flies great just like she is...really tight loops, but I gotta get the roll rate up...maybe a bigger servo horn. She's kinda lazy on the rolls, I just gotta get some more throw. I might even get another servo on the ails and mix it up all kinda ways! Yippeeeeee
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2007, 10:01 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Well, I am now hooked. Took it out again after the pack charged up and was being greedy. Flew it too long and she came down with practically no power. I will say it is certainly durable!! Not even a scratch and it went into the gravel/grass mixed part of a parking lot nose first from a good 3ft up. I am using my DX7 with it, and have the rates cranked down pretty low, it is just too fast for me on high rates. Need to get the expo right and see what she can really do.

Have 3 packs coming from True RC so I don't abuse the one pack I have anymore. Don't normally fly a pack out like that, but just wanted a little more. Love how I don't need a huge area to fly in with it, and how responsive it is. The lack of throw on the elevator isn't a problem at all. I set the travel adjust so the elevator will lightly touch the rudder, but won't interfere with its movement and she will still snap up quick!!

As for the tail section getting installed too far forward, I think I could have balanced her just a touch better if I would have left it back where it should be. With everything as far forward as possible, it is still just a slight touch nose heavy.

A build vid would be great for this product. I hope people latch on to this plane, it is a lot of fun and has amazing performance for its size. I find it to be much more responsive than my standard SSX, but still doesn't do rolls very fast. Like I said, once I get the expo set correctly on high rates, I bet she will do a nice blender Hard to get it all setup the way I want with just a single pack. Should have bought a bunch from the get go. I am considering getting the build kit and covering one myself also. I would like another shot at building one now that I know where I messed up, even though it doesn't seem to cause any real problems. Flies well inverted also, and need to see if I can knife with it, although I can't do a knife well on any of my other birds, so I wouldn't be a good test candidate

Big or small, the SSX kits are both great, need to get started on my other SSX kit I have here. And I think I will be setting it up for night time flying. Don't have a place here to really use it yet, but SEFF 08 will be here before you know it !!

Diggs
Old Jul 08, 2007, 10:06 PM
#include <crashkit.h>
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
good to hear you guys are having fun with it! unfortunately the maiden for my micro ssx wasnt so successful. nothing wrong with the plane though - the wind was just too much for it to handle. it was just shoving it around all over the place, and after a short one minute flight it plowed it into the ground! i guess it was the wrong day to maiden it, but my friend and i were both eager to see it in action. will have to get on the repair job now, the wing has some major damage.
fadetoblack is offline Find More Posts by fadetoblack
Old Jul 08, 2007, 10:45 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgehound
I see my Nite Stik has made yet another friend jealous (Jeff)! My head is not big! I just got lucky with my 2nd covering job and am very proud of how it turned out! he he he he I too am guilty of putting the fuse all the way into the tail block! I did not even know it until I read the post about 5 min. ago! It don't matter anyway! She flies great just like she is...really tight loops, but I gotta get the roll rate up...maybe a bigger servo horn. She's kinda lazy on the rolls, I just gotta get some more throw. I might even get another servo on the ails and mix it up all kinda ways! Yippeeeeee
Diggs is talking about the Micro SSX. Did you buy the one that Hodges had?
RCG Plus Member