Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 06, 2007, 02:41 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Spectrum 6100 receiver mount

Secure the 6100 receiver to the mount with servo tape included in the Micro SSX kit and ARF.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2007, 05:26 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
James, I picked up my Christmas present from Hodges' yesterday...a micro SSX.
The only problem will be is that now I have to wait until Christmas to have it.
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Nov 18, 2007, 06:07 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstone
James, I picked up my Christmas present from Hodges' yesterday...a micro SSX.
The only problem will be is that now I have to wait until Christmas to have it.
Thanks! what servos, motor and ESC did you get?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2007, 06:52 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
I got the ARF because they didn't have a kit
I went with the Eflite park 250, Futaba s3114? (I think that was the number), CC TB 9 esc, Berg 4L, and an EVO 2s 400 battery I also got a couple different props to try out...
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:20 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstone
I got the ARF because they didn't have a kit
I went with the Eflite park 250, Futaba s3114? (I think that was the number), CC TB 9 esc, Berg 4L, and an EVO 2s 400 battery I also got a couple different props to try out...
The Futaba s3114 should be fine. I use the GWS 6-5 SF for the Park 250.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:23 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
The GWS 6-5 was one of the ones I got. I'll start with that one. It'll probably be the only one I need
Old Dec 17, 2007, 03:28 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,388 Posts
With a lot of stopping and starting I finally finished my Micro SSX a couple of weeks ago. I added a couple of washers under the left mounting screw for the motor to feed in a bit right thrust. Pretty impressed with the Hacker motor despite its small size. I'm using the GWS 6x5 that was recommended. I got the Spektrum receiver mounting shelf from James and it installed with no problems. I like how the receiver just tucks up into the space. I ended up using Dymond D37 servos as everything else I tried was basically cr*p, including the Cirrus 101. 3 failed in a row during burn in testing due to bad pots. I had to add an extremely small piece of lead to get the plane to balance. It fit easily into the rear of the tail mount bracket and held in place with a dab of epoxy. All up weight comes to 4.88 oz.

Flies very well.
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2
Last edited by GBR2; Dec 17, 2007 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Wrong weight notes
Old Dec 17, 2007, 05:39 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR2
With a lot of stopping and starting I finally finished my Micro SSX a couple of weeks ago. I added a couple of washers under the left mounting screw for the motor to feed in a bit right thrust. Pretty impressed with the Hacker motor despite its small size. I'm using the GWS 6x5 that was recommended. I got the Spektrum receiver mounting shelf from James and it installed with no problems. I like how the receiver just tucks up into the space. I ended up using Dymond D37 servos as everything else I tried was basically cr*p, including the Cirrus 101. 3 failed in a row during burn in testing due to bad pots. I had to add an extremely small piece of lead to get the plane to balance. It fit easily into the rear of the tail mount bracket and held in place with a dab of epoxy. All up weight comes to 6.12 oz.

Flies very well.
How did it end up 6.12 oz? They usually weigh less than 5 oz. Is it the battery? I have built plenty of them and never had one that heavy. You build looks great!

I have been doing a lot of testing with the CS101 and have found that they always fail when you drive them over the standard 2 millisecond range. I have several of them working very well. I have been setting my travel adjust just bellow or at 100%.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2007, 05:42 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR2
With a lot of stopping and starting I finally finished my Micro SSX a couple of weeks ago. I added a couple of washers under the left mounting screw for the motor to feed in a bit right thrust. Pretty impressed with the Hacker motor despite its small size. I'm using the GWS 6x5 that was recommended. I got the Spektrum receiver mounting shelf from James and it installed with no problems. I like how the receiver just tucks up into the space. I ended up using Dymond D37 servos as everything else I tried was basically cr*p, including the Cirrus 101. 3 failed in a row during burn in testing due to bad pots. I had to add an extremely small piece of lead to get the plane to balance. It fit easily into the rear of the tail mount bracket and held in place with a dab of epoxy. All up weight comes to 6.12 oz.

Flies very well.
How is the centering on the D37? I know I need to get some and try them!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:54 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,388 Posts
Corrected my post, all up weight with battery is 4.88 oz. I was looking at the wrong notes when I put that up. The D37's center well but also have a rather large dead band. However, control movement is smooth and they work well. I burned each of them in for over 45 minutes each (HiTec servo tester moving the servo from one end of travel to the other) with no problems. The servo tester normally goes between 900us to 2100us and that is probably what killed the pots in the Cirrus servos. Just recently got some 3.7 servos from LightFlite that they are going to be using in the new Mini BUG. Ron claims he looked high and low before he found these. Haven't tested them yet but they look nice.
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jan 07, 2008, 01:45 PM
Thank a US Soldier
Syracuse, NY
Joined Jul 2005
251 Posts
I had taken the wing of a wrecked E-flite Mini Ultra stick and combined it with the tail group from my wrecked PA Katana Mini on my "MiniUltraSlowStiKatana" and my buddy and I love the way it flies. I saw your SSX and had to buy one for my friend and the wing/tail group for me.

Talk about customer service - James and Karen should write a manual for the younger generation to teach them what real customer service is all about! I bought the SSX kit and one SSX wing and tail group kit and of course the MicroSSX ARF, and can't wait to complete the MicroSSX for an upcoming indoor event.

These kits are the best way to transition from a Slow Stick to an aileron trainer with aerobatic ability, IMHO.

Back on topic:
My Micro SSX -
I will be using the park 250 and the GWS 6x5 SF, along with the Spektrum Nanolite RX and three DSP60J servos. I'm thinking about ordering just the MicroSSX wing kit and build it with two servos for flaps and see how that works for really slow flying.
mpoyneer is offline Find More Posts by mpoyneer
Last edited by mpoyneer; Jan 07, 2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2008, 02:54 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoyneer
I had taken the wing of a wrecked E-flite Mini Ultra stick and combined it with the tail group from my wrecked PA Katana Mini on my "MiniUltraSlowStiKatana" and my buddy and I love the way it flies. I saw your SSX and had to buy one for my friend and the wing/tail group for me.

Talk about customer service - James and Karen should write a manual for the younger generation to teach them what real customer service is all about! I bought the SSX kit and one SSX wing and tail group kit and of course the MicroSSX ARF, and can't wait to complete the MicroSSX for an upcoming indoor event.

These kits are the best way to transition from a Slow Stick to an aileron trainer with aerobatic ability, IMHO.

Back on topic:
My Micro SSX -
I will be using the park 250 and the GWS 6x5 SF, along with the Spektrum Nanolite RX and three DSP60J servos. I'm thinking about ordering just the MicroSSX wing kit and build it with two servos for flaps and see how that works for really slow flying.
I am not sure how flaps will work. I have been experimenting with taking weight out of the plane and using the lightest possible servos, motor/ESC and receiver. I have a little 9 gram motor that I will be selling on my web site.
I am using blue arrow servos (not to be confused with blue bird), they have been pretty reliable. I am also using a little 350 mah 2 S lipo. I am also adding some positive incidence to the wing. You can make an adjustable incidence (See picture).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2008, 02:31 PM
Thank a US Soldier
Syracuse, NY
Joined Jul 2005
251 Posts
I don't want to mess with the incidence, and if we can keep the AUW down, two servos should do the trick. Also, since the servos are acting on less surface area than in a single aileron servo configuration, we should be able to use smaller servos.

If the dual servo mod works and the weight stays down, I would think it would handle like a mini ultra stick using flaps/2 servos. With the incidence left standard, inverted flight would not be affected, and with 2 servos we could introduce elevator to flap mixing for tighter loops. Er, wait, is that Flap to Elevator mixing?

I have to log back on to your site and see what the wing kit goes for and get it ordered. I think this idea will fly...pun intended!
Old Jan 08, 2008, 02:32 PM
Thank a US Soldier
Syracuse, NY
Joined Jul 2005
251 Posts
Has anyone used the tiny Park 180 with this yet? I would think it a hair too small, but if the right diet were imposed, it could work.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 04:03 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoyneer
Has anyone used the tiny Park 180 with this yet? I would think it a hair too small, but if the right diet were imposed, it could work.
I think the Park 180 would be ideal for indoor flying.
RCG Plus Member