HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2007, 10:43 PM
baltimore
Joined Apr 2007
44 Posts
Discussion
ESC, programming

Hi, obviously, by the question to come, I'm very new. Anyway, what's the deal with programming the ESCs?

I see that some vendors sell cards to do this, but why and how? Isn't my throttle proportional to start with?

Thanks, sorry for the embarrassingly newbie question.....
jrhyne is offline Find More Posts by jrhyne
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2007, 10:48 PM
Joined Jan 2007
715 Posts
It's not the proportionality of the throttle you program. It's other behaviors of the ESC.

I have a Castle Creations Pixie-20 brushed ESC that is programmable in a variety of ways. You can program the voltage at which the Low Voltage Cutoff will engage. You can program the behavior of that cutoff ("hard" or "soft"--I don't remember what those mean, but I remember I liked the default). You can program one other behavior that I can't remember what it is...

It's a "set it and forget it" kind of deal (obviously!) and they generally come with pretty smart defaults.
ratb is offline Find More Posts by ratb
Old May 28, 2007, 10:51 PM
baltimore
Joined Apr 2007
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratb
It's not the proportionality of the throttle you program. It's other behaviors of the ESC.

I have a Castle Creations Pixie-20 brushed ESC that is programmable in a variety of ways. You can program the voltage at which the Low Voltage Cutoff will engage. You can program the behavior of that cutoff ("hard" or "soft"--I don't remember what those mean, but I remember I liked the default). You can program one other behavior that I can't remember what it is...

It's a "set it and forget it" kind of deal (obviously!) and they generally come with pretty smart defaults.
So these things are pretty easy to program? I'm so new that most of this makes just enough sense to me that I'll be dangerous!!
jrhyne is offline Find More Posts by jrhyne
Old May 28, 2007, 11:30 PM
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,178 Posts
most of the program cards are real inexpensive and some work for more then just 1 brand of esc. I think jeti-dynam-pulso and some others use the same card
keyman923 is offline Find More Posts by keyman923
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2007, 01:06 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhyne
Hi, obviously, by the question to come, I'm very new. Anyway, what's the deal with programming the ESCs?
Hi jr,

First off, there's no such thing as a stupid question!

"Programming" esc's is usually done right at your transmitter. To "program" an esc means that you make certain decisions about how you want the esc and motor and battery to interact. When you plug in your esc, and go into programming mode, the esc will use a series of audible sounds and blinking lights to "ask" you things like "What size battery are you using?" To answer the question, you most often use the left stick of your transmitter by moving it into different positions as a way of answering the esc's question.

Then the esc might ask you a different question with it's sounds and lights, like "Do you want me to shut your motor completely off when I detect a dangerously low battery voltage?" And then again, you answer the question by moving the left transmitter stick to a certain position to indicate yes or no.

Now, based on what I've said above... programming an esc looks akin to building a nuclear reactor. But take it from me (and I'm no rocket scientist), once you go through the step by step directions that come with all esc's... you will find it pretty darn simple...

Some esc's come with the ability to answer all these questions from a computer software program. These are the esc's that use either 'card programming' or 'regular transmitter stick programming'.

In either case, it's something that you will find very do-able!

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Programming FUTUR(E) ESC, HOW?????

I just purchased a Dymond FUTUR(E) programmable ESC but I came with only instructions for the battery type selection. (SUpplier cannot/willnot provide assistance)

It is advertized to be programmable by "stick" as to throttle, softstart, brake, timing, autocutoff, and cutoff.

How do I enter programming mode? How do I program each function??

HELP

I'm new to electrics though not to R/C.

Larry
larrytoo is offline Find More Posts by larrytoo
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:48 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,551 Posts
I always had trouble trying to use the trans. to program but would get the beeps mixed up and lose it. Went to the Turnigy ESCs that use the card and it was the best thing since sliced balony for my feebly mind. 8 different parameters you can program including music, to drive your fellow fliers nuts. I'm sure other cards can do the same thing. Thing is, you can see what you've done.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2169

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:59 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,955 Posts
I was wondering this same thing, what would be a good all round card / program for programming ESC's? I have never programmed one before, but now what I have several planes and a couple of quads, I'm thinking that learning to program ESC's is probably a prudent thing to do. I mostly have Turnigy plush ESC's, but also have the stock ones on my Gaui 300x-s, another for my Super Cub which brand escapes me at the moment, and a Pulso.

The card flypaper mentions looks good, for the price of it I'm tossing one in my next order, but are there other programs as well that are more or less suitable for most, if not all ESC's?

thanks!
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:38 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,551 Posts
The programming cards will only work with their particular ESCs. The one shown above will work with your Turnigy Plush, and is one of the ESCs I use the most in all different amp ratings.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:48 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
If it helps, I have never programmed an ESC. I just plug them in and use them. I've owned about 25 planes without so much as a hint of a problem.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:59 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
590 Posts
The defaults on ESCs are normally just what ya need. But sometime you may want to change some stuff.
I have a Castle Creations thunderbird18 and I can . . .
Turn the brake on or off - this means do you want the esc to let the motor freewheel when you turn the throttle to zero or do you want the esc to hold the motor in one position and not spin with zero throttle

LVC (low voltage cutoff) - I think I can change the voltage per cell that triggers the esc to cutoff

Hard or soft cutoff - hard is where the motor stops all at one when the battery voltage drops to a specific point and soft is when the motor slowly starts loosing power. Even when the LVC is activated you will still have control of your servos to glide the plane in.

What kind of battery - I tell what battery I'm using such as a lipo or a nimh

I think that's about it.
Hole this helps,
Nicholas
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:12 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
Most ESCs can be programmed without a programming card, most of the time a programming card is for convenience only.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Dec 01, 2011, 08:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
11 Posts
Sebart mig 29 esc programming

I have a SEBART MIG-29. Any one know what manufacturer/model ESC are used and how to get programming instructions for them? None came with the airplane.
mmaxfield is offline Find More Posts by mmaxfield
Old Dec 01, 2011, 09:10 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
I bet it's another hobbywing clone, but if you took a picture of it, there will be a more accurate description.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:32 AM
Australia, NSW, Bankstown
Joined Jul 2012
22 Posts
programing ESC

Hi there,

can anyone help me regarding programing the ESC so i can get more punch from my RC car the default rate is 75% but want to give it 100% punch as i just bought a new Nano Tech Turnargy Lipo battery as i can do this without a program card.

thxs
lancaster1945 is offline Find More Posts by lancaster1945