HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,640 Posts
Discussion
R/C Mauretania

I would like to begin by apologizing to those of you who clicked on this link expecting to see the 1907 Mauretania ocean liner.

That said, it has been a long time since I posted a build thread for one of my ships, and I thought I'd let you guys in. This is the 1 inch= 10 feet scale model of the Cunard ocean liner Mauretania of 1939.

Considered a 'forgotten' Cunarder by some, I have long found her a pretty and shapely little ship. Plus, I'm attracted to 'forgotten' things.

Built in 1939, the 772-foot long liner was at the time the largest ship built in England itself. She sailed briefly between Liverpool (yes, Liverpool) and New York before the war forced her into trooping. After the war, she helped alleviate the 2-Queens service while one of them was in drydock for repairs.

She sailed around the world in 1958, a service which has become annual for the Cunard line. Late in her life, she was used extensively for cruising, particularly to the Med, her hull painted white (not green like the Caronia).

Finally, she was scrapped in Inverkeithing Scotland in 1965, never having attained the permanent legend she probably deserved, nor living down the name of her famous predecessor.

My Mauretania begins service this year and should be a nice little alternative to my big and bulky Queens.

Barrett
greenseaships is offline Find More Posts by greenseaships
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2007, 09:21 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,594 Posts
Building two at a time it looks like?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old May 28, 2007, 09:58 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,810 Posts
oops...

double post?
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; May 29, 2007 at 02:11 AM.
Old May 28, 2007, 10:00 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,810 Posts
Oh Gawd! it's almost done already...

Can we hate you yet?!?

Quote:
My Mauretania begins service this year and should be a nice little alternative to my big and bulky Queens.
77 inches is still a big boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Building two at a time it looks like?
Hopefully that is a mirror behind the boat, yeah, we can't let him finish two at a time... No way...
Old May 28, 2007, 11:50 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,640 Posts
Actually, what you are seeing behind the boat is indeed a second Mauretania. However, THAT Mauretania met with an accident shortly after these pictures were taken. She had to be sent to the scrapyard before she was even fiberglassed. Now there's just the one.
Old May 29, 2007, 04:35 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jun 2003
75 Posts
Truly amazed!!

Greenships, there arent to many things that I feel the need to post about. Normally I use this forum for ideas and questions and it has been most helpful. These boats that you build deserve accolades!! I cant get finished with the 10 boats that I have going on the bench and here you turn out truly amazing models at will!! Its unreal. Absolutly fabulos! I wish I shared your talents. Your creations are a pleasure to view. Bettween you, Umi and a few others I'm contiually amazed. Thanks for the inspiration to keep modeling and one day I'm gonna give you some friendly competition, Reddog.
reddog69 is offline Find More Posts by reddog69
Old May 29, 2007, 09:52 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,640 Posts
Hahaha! Bring it on!
Old May 29, 2007, 11:54 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships
Actually, what you are seeing behind the boat is indeed a second Mauretania. However, THAT Mauretania met with an accident shortly after these pictures were taken. She had to be sent to the scrapyard before she was even fiberglassed. Now there's just the one.
bet the air went a bit blue with swear words barrett!
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old May 29, 2007, 07:03 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,542 Posts
Barrett,

The 2nd Maurantania was a handsome liner that, I felt, had better lines than the QM.

She should look nice steaming alongside the rest of your fleet!

Chuck
herrmill is online now Find More Posts by herrmill
Old May 29, 2007, 07:18 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,640 Posts
Thanks everyone! I certainly can't wait to see the QUEEN MARY, QUEEN ELIZABETH AND MAURETANIA all steaming together with their black hulls and cunard funnels!

BTW- I ordered the brass and black nameplates for her hull today. Should be ready by Friday.

Barrett
Last edited by greenseaships; May 29, 2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old May 29, 2007, 10:02 PM
Port of Louisville
Joined Apr 2007
252 Posts
Barrett, tell me more about these name plates, and how they turn out, I have been thinking about how to do Normandie's large bronze letters, not sure if I will be happy with custom decals.

Phillip
Norway2112 is offline Find More Posts by Norway2112
Old May 29, 2007, 11:09 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,396 Posts
how much cardboard can one guy have!!! wow.. ever think about building a big schooner.. like 4 mast rig
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old May 31, 2007, 12:53 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,640 Posts
I work in a picture framing business, and the stock of cardboard is plentiful! Here are some pics of the upper decks and detailing.

I chose to make the funnels deliberately more orange than they really were mostly because I like the look of the QUEEN MARY'S sun-faded funnels in Long Beach.
Old May 31, 2007, 02:05 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,810 Posts

aaahhhhrrg, it's insane... He's finished another boat...

I like the "tweeked" foamcore strips as the life boat davits.
It's so danged simple...
Old May 31, 2007, 09:20 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,640 Posts
She won't win any scale model competitions, but I like to think she looks pretty good for 2 weeks construction time.

Barrett