SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 28, 2007, 04:02 PM
Shenandoah Valley
Joined Dec 2006
23 Posts
Discussion
Avian Flew

Anyone here have a birdstrike? I was having my best outside CX2 flights ever when I got strafed by a pack of barn swallows. I was flying near the purple martin house in my backyard (that's never had a purple martin in it) when the birds started swooping and screeching at my newly retuned and refitted helo.
I now need a new inner shaft and my flybar is "S" shaped. The bird didn't appear to be hurt... Once I'm airborne again, I'm gonna shoot some VHS video. If I can figure out how to digitize it and post it on y'alltube, I'll do a link.
Welder13 is offline Find More Posts by Welder13
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2007, 11:45 PM
Crashin' n learnin'
Hopkinsville, KY
Joined Dec 2006
807 Posts
That's wild man. I have not had that happen but when flying fixed wing with my nephew, he had a red winged black bird chase his plane but there was no contact.

klondikes
klondikes is offline Find More Posts by klondikes
Old May 29, 2007, 06:50 AM
Shenandoah Valley
Joined Dec 2006
23 Posts
Their chicks must be about to hatch. It was pretty funny to watch, up until the time it cost me money
Old May 29, 2007, 10:50 AM
Joined Apr 2007
51 Posts
That would be wild. How did you react when you started to see them coming after your little heli?
EvilSmirk is offline Find More Posts by EvilSmirk
Old May 29, 2007, 08:28 PM
Shenandoah Valley
Joined Dec 2006
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSmirk
That would be wild. How did you react when you started to see them coming after your little heli?
I engaged - didn't really expect to clip one, barn swallows can really jink. I just got unlucky.
Old May 29, 2007, 11:29 PM
Crashin' n learnin'
Hopkinsville, KY
Joined Dec 2006
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welder13
I engaged
Now that is just too funny!! I guess it went something like this:

"Striker 7 to base command. Over"

"Base command, go ahead striker 7. Over"

"I've encounterd several hostile boggies. I count four in view. Their attitude is offensive. I repeat, their attitude is offensive. Request permission to engage. Over"

"Roger that, Striker 7. You are outnumbered. Can you outrun them? Over."

"Negative, base command. They are all over me now. Request permission for immediate engagement! Over."

"Permission granted, Striker 7. Engage the hostile boggies at will. Engage the hostile boggies. Over."

"Roger, base command. Moving into stirke position now. Over."

[Short pause in transmission]

'Striker 7 to base command, I've been hit! I'm loosing altitude quickly! Mayday!! Mayday!! I'm going down!!"

[Silence]

"Base command to Striker 7. Base command to Striker 7. You there? Over?"

"Base command to Striker 7. Base command to Striker 7. Are you there Striker 7? Over?"

[More silence]

"Striker 7 here. I think I'm OK but the heli is damaged. This flybar took a lickin' and won't soon be a tickin'. Over."

"Roger that flybar, Striker 7. Glad to hear your voice and know you're still with us. Sit tight, we're sending Welder13 after you. He should be there in no time. Over."

"Roger, base command. Thanks for the recon. Striker 7 sittin' tight. Over and out."

klondikes is offline Find More Posts by klondikes
Old May 30, 2007, 06:46 AM
Shenandoah Valley
Joined Dec 2006
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klondikes
I guess it went something like this:
Closer than you think. I got back in the air yesterday, but something still ain't quite right; I'm in a constant sideslip. Even so, sparrow lead still moved toward me on one of my abortive flights. I'm stuck in the office all day, so hopefully I'll resolve the prob and get back to backyard air domination. At least for a few minutes...
Old May 30, 2007, 08:19 AM
In Heli Heaven!
Clarkston, MI
Joined Nov 2006
67 Posts
Nice call Klondikes! Funny stuff
droy000 is offline Find More Posts by droy000
Old May 31, 2007, 10:24 PM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
Care to borrow my Raptor nitro - should give you absolute backyard air domination - may annoy the neighbours though..

Nice work on the radios Klondikes!
Tach.
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver