HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:31 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,673 Posts
LBJ sent me on my senior trip... how could I ever forget him?
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2007, 08:58 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,595 Posts
Just being nosy....Where did he send you? And was that after he left the White House? Class (or lack) of '67. How about you.

erich
erich is offline Find More Posts by erich
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:27 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,673 Posts
No problem, I did a tour in Viet Nam... so I guess it was after he left. I still considered it his war. Now that I'm older and know more about history, I believe it was Kennedy's war. Class of '69... After graduation, I had a '69 Olds 442 - W-30, a very good paying job, a fake ID, an apartment, played in 2 bands, and had blonde hair down my back... I was having too much fun so Uncle Sugar called me up. My draft lottery number was 7.

Jack
Old Jun 12, 2007, 04:49 AM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
Not really knowing how the draft system works (I'm a young'un compared to you guys) I can only assume that you mean you were the 7th person in the US to get called up? Or are ticket numbers assigned to groups?

Either way, I could think of better class trips.
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
Old Jun 12, 2007, 05:17 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,595 Posts
Yea but this trip was all expenses paid, and money too. How could one say no. Especially with LBJ's invite. Yea it really was JFK's thing, but then again if one goes back far enough, you could blame it on the French. Can't remember how the lottery system worked, was pretty wasted in those days. But when I ran outta money and my job, joined up, don't even remember what my number was. That was the end of my long hair. Jack....I'll bet you listened to Crosby, Stills and Nash (also Young), them and the song Mississippi Queen are pretty much the only thing I remember of the late 60's, while in the crotch.

Well enough of this old timer stuff, on and upward with the Hawk.

erich
Old Jun 12, 2007, 05:20 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,595 Posts
Stab

On to the heart 'o' the stab. Cut and sanded the double angles into the 4 root ribs, where they meet LE and TE. Then, cut the notches in the 4 root area ribs, for the brass tubes, as accurately as possible (using plans). Glued the 4 ribs to LE and TE using titebond. Sealed the bigger brass tube with balsa at either end, and crimped smaller one. Placed tubes till the through bell-crank, and notches in ribs. Aligned tubes with plan till I couldn't get them any better. Pinned in place and added some shims to center tubes on ribs. Made sure bell-crank arm was vertical. Checked that tubes were parallel to each other one more time, then mixed 5 min epoxy with cabosil, and applied a little at each rib / tube junction.

erich
Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:15 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,384 Posts
As an interuption to your gorgeous build, The draft was done with 2 bottles of numbers; 1-365 for first, and calendar days for second, then you go gamblin', like I did with EDF distraction!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:27 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,595 Posts
Johnny

Everytime I see your Avatar, it sadly reminds me of selling off my Weird One. Done many dumb things in my time, but that was one of the dumbest. So that's how the draft worked. Maybe I'm being stupid, but what is "EDF (every dumb flyer??) distraction"?

erich
Old Jun 12, 2007, 08:12 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly
As an interuption to your gorgeous build, The draft was done with 2 bottles of numbers; 1-365 for first, and calendar days for second, then you go gamblin', like I did with EDF distraction!
Johnny
Yeah. Your birthday determined your number. I got # 136. They stopped drafting that year at 129.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Jun 13, 2007, 05:43 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,595 Posts
Stab

Tubes have been epoxied into place, and have added the next set of ribs. Also added the little gussets that connect TE to root ribs. Now it's just a matter of making another set of ribs followed by another set of ribs...till I reach the tips. Using titebond for all joints here. Have found rib to LE and TE joints need to made as well as possible, especially on a moving tailplane like this. So usually spend a little extra time getting these joints to match well.

erich
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:17 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,384 Posts
Erich!
Yepper, pretty dumb alrighty!
P.M. on it's way
johnny
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
Old Jun 14, 2007, 01:43 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,595 Posts
Johnny,

You didn't have to agree so quickly.

erich
Old Jun 14, 2007, 01:54 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,595 Posts
Stabs

Have added all the ribs. Glued in 2 at a time on each side. Waited about 2 hours between each set of ribs to give titebond a chance to set up. Took a good day, but took my time so I could get each joint as tight as possible. It's starting to look like a stab.

erich
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:36 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,673 Posts
Aaahhhh.

Erich, you are at the stage where many made a mistake and didn't sand the leading edge well enough before adding spars and sheeting. This makes for a stab that's too thick and too heavy. Look carefully at the cross-section before going on... I like the scalloped trailing edge...8^)...

Jack
Old Jun 14, 2007, 07:13 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,595 Posts
Thanks Jack I have looked at the drawing very carfully, and will sand off the majority of the stab to get an air foil shape. Will sand after the spars are glued on, as they along with a line down middle of LE will give me a basis from where to sand. But I gotta say your sense of scale is a little off. I believe your cross sectional drawing is just a little larger than actual stab. Luckly I didn't use the cross sections as a pattern for my stab, or I could have used it as a second wing (maybe built a biplaned glider..hmmm).

I have something called Hawk notes.. where the builder stated his (or maybe yours) stab came in at 1.3 oz. is that each stab half or both together? My little inquiring mind wants to know.

Thanks again for the heads up. (have a confession....the stabs are already done, have fallen behind on the posts).

green air

erich