Thank-you.

erich
erich is offline Find More Posts by erich
Old Jun 09, 2007, 05:34 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Rudder

Finished second side on rudder. With all ribs in place, did some planing of top and bottom 1/2" sq. pieces. Took quite a bit of planing to get TE end, down to about 1/8". Afterwards used 150 grit paper to get rudder to final shape, followed by some 300 and 600 paper. Rounded bottom edge and top edge. Checked rudder continuously, against the fin so as to match the two in thickness and height. Opened up 3 hinge slots, and used end of small file to recess slot, so hinge line, gap, will be non-existent.

erich
Old Jun 10, 2007, 04:09 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Fin & Rudder

Did some more work on fin, added the lower sheeting to one side and cut in pivot hole and actuator slot. Will leave off sheet on other side till stab controls are all set. Added hinge slots. And again recessed the area where pivot point of hinge meets fin. Of course had to connect up the rudder and fin, just to see the big door move. Was able to get about 9" of travel, measured at bottom. With that much movement, won't need spoilers, can use rudder as an airbrake. Yuk yuk...

erich
Old Jun 10, 2007, 05:04 AM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
Hey Erich,

Followed your link from you pup thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...22#post7601495

The glider's looking good!
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
Old Jun 10, 2007, 07:30 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Hello lord99

Mostly build gliders. But I really did enjoy making that biplane. Gonna have to do at least two more of them. Tiger Moth and maybe an F2B. Met a lot of good people on the scale threads. Wait till this ones done. It's a pretty unique glider, designed by someone from Texas of all places, can you beat that. It's got a tri-hedral (is that a word) wing. And for a moslty wood plane (or in my case all wood) it's pretty close to state of the art. Am probably gonna hear it, for that. But that's MY opinion. Anyway it is a great looking plane. Hope I can do it justice.

Here's someone else's finished Hawk

balsa for me too

erich
Old Jun 10, 2007, 09:52 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Wings were built and covered by me, fuse and tail feathers built by Don Cleveland.

Jack Womack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jun 10, 2007, 06:51 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Words from the horses...er....Texans mouth. Jack....I just got done with the gluing in of main wing joiner tube. Got a small question. Was I suppose to leave the aluminum joiner rod inside the brass tube while gluing it into spar cavity? On other installations have always done this, but wasn't sure here. What's the h...er... New Mexican have to say on the subject?

green air
erich
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:20 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Well, I always sealed both ends of the uncut joiner tube and glued one side in with the other side in dry as a guide. Then I had the glued side for a guide, and glued the dry side. Once cured, I cut them apart with a zona saw.

Texan bashing... cuts me to the bone... but as I said on another thread this morning, it's still the only place I've had a model blown straight up, even though I had no control of it, it went almost out of sight VERY quickly. You guys are just jealous, that's all I can figure...8^)...

Jack
Old Jun 10, 2007, 11:47 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Jack

It's those big hats. Makes everyone, not from Texas, jealous.

green air

erich
Old Jun 11, 2007, 06:23 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
De Stabs

Am starting on stabs today. Plans taped down and ready to go. The original plans call for making both stabs as one piece, then cutting in half after it's all glued up. What I did is to cut plan in half and separate the two stabs by 1/2". This will allow bell-crank to be placed in position, making, more or less sure of good fit (bell-crank to stabs). Aligned the two plans, along TE, with a steel rule. Will leave TE in one piece however, till most of the shaping and sanding is done. Made up the TE piece by gluing 1/4" pine strip to balsa TE, with titebond. Planed and sanded to almost a knife edge, will do finish sanding just before covering. Made a scalloped effect on inside of TE to save a little weight, and give the stabs a little flair. With this pinned to build board am ready to build this little gem of a stab.

erich
Old Jun 11, 2007, 06:55 AM
Dan Murphy
USA, MA, Hopkinton
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erich
Am starting on stabs today.
Don't you work??

You really are a building machine, and have some beautiful planes. This rookie builder has a long way to go....

Just down the street from you,
Murph
merlinmurph is offline Find More Posts by merlinmurph
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:21 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Hats? Well, I've been a Texan all my life, but never owned a cowboy hat... Gotta be sumpn' else.

Jack
Old Jun 11, 2007, 09:16 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Hell even LBJ had a hat. But your probably to young to remember him.

green air

Murph, no am unemployed right now. Waiting for an operation on shoulder, which will stop this building for awhile. Hey if you ever wanna come up, I fly at the old Holden landfill (been capped for 10 years or so), there's a power landing strip there. But the power guys rarely fly. It's a pretty big field. The town mows it about twice a year. What plane do you fly?

erich
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:34 PM
Dan Murphy
USA, MA, Hopkinton
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
erich,

Rather than hijacking this thread, I'll PM you about local stuff.

I'll continue following this thread. It's a slight departure from the normal build thread and I know I'll learn something. I remember following your Sagitta XC thread and was blown away.

Murph
merlinmurph is offline Find More Posts by merlinmurph