HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Rats....printed a 100% tiled version at work, brought it home, layed it out on the dining room table (also known as that fancy plan reading bench)measured the scale and what was supposed to be 6" is actually 4.5"....what the heck, I was looking at it at work thinking...man those formers look a bit small...guess I need to play with sizing....was set at 100% at work.....bought my kevlar thread at the fly tying section of Bass Pro shop.....the scrounger...
Mr Smith1 is offline Find More Posts by Mr Smith1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:11 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingloada View Post
How much torque is needed for the elevator and rudder servos for a Houston Hawk?

W
I have been running HS-85mg servos in HH #1 for almost 10 years. It will be retrofitted this year with some nice digitals to go with my new Atx receiver, when it gets a total refurb...

Darth Hawk Daddy...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:51 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly01 View Post
sure is the plug for the mold came from an original houston hawk fuselage. Figured someome needed to make one. Took over a month to make.

Rich
very nice!

Aj
solo6796 is offline Find More Posts by solo6796
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:01 AM
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined Apr 2012
889 Posts
Mr Smith1, did you download the most recent plan? I'm sorry to have wasted your time since it printed small. I don't know why that is happening. If you tile, you can print just the sheet that has the 6" scale and experiment until it's the correct size then print the whole thing. Sorry for the hassle.

W
wingloada is online now Find More Posts by wingloada
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:07 AM
Joined Apr 2012
889 Posts
Servos

Jack,

Thanks for the servo reply. I have a pair of JR DS285 Digital Hi-Speed Sub-Micro Servos that fit nicely but are smaller than the ones you use and have about half the torque. Do you think that they would do the job or should I figure out a way to get larger servos into the bay between F1 and F2?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
W,

No sweat......I know it is a work in progress....I'll wait until you post an update with your changes before I print them, can you repost them when you do, to make certain I am on the correct version?

No hurry, I am still just about to tackle the spar build...now that I've figured it out....I assume you put a shear web in the root end to keep the shape while it is clamped and curing?....making sure not to glue it in?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:15 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingloada View Post
Jack,

Thanks for the servo reply. I have a pair of JR DS285 Digital Hi-Speed Sub-Micro Servos that fit nicely but are smaller than the ones you use and have about half the torque. Do you think that they would do the job or should I figure out a way to get larger servos into the bay between F1 and F2?

Bill
I like the larger ones... personally... I plan to use Atx 761s for R & E and an 809 for the spoilers.
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
889 Posts
Tail

I finished the fin-rudder today. I am wondering what people feel about leaving it without the 1/32 sheeting and just covering it as an open frame. After sanding it's about 3/8" thick at the hinge line.

I've attached a photo of the structure below.

It seems sturdy, but then I have not built and flown a 3M before (winch stresses?). The fin core, which supports the stab, is hard balsa and solid with the ply pieces at the stab axle. The plan was to cover the fin in 1/32" balsa now that it is shaped. Any opinions?

Also, I was planning to use CA hinges (six along the length of the rudder post). Thoughts on that?

UPDATE: 12-10-12 - I decided to sheet the fin in light 1/32" balsa for rigidity.

Thanks to all.
WK
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by wingloada; Dec 10, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
889 Posts
Update

MrSmith1,

Here is the link for the most recent update of the Yardbird fuselage that I am building. This has the extended fin-rudder I am building for this version. This includes the updates listed in my 'changes list' a few posts ago. I'm still building so it's still 'in progress' but this has the latest changes.

http://wkleinsasser.net/download/Yar...ge_WK_tail.pdf

dwg files:

http://wkleinsasser.net/download/Yar...e_fuselage.zip

------

Updated Houston Hawk fuselage:

pdf:
http://wkleinsasser.net/download/Str...ge_HH_tail.pdf

dwg:
http://wkleinsasser.net/download/Str...th_HH_tail.zip

W
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Apr 2012
889 Posts
Stab

The stab is nearly complete, only the back portion of sheeting to still install. Some good news is that since I haven't been able to get into a shop to bend the joiner rod, it works well as the horizontal reference for the fin alignment and for checking the stab alignment. Both are fine. Whew.

Cutting and installing the vertical grain 1/16" stab shear webbing was fun.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by wingloada; Jun 06, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
W,

Looks nice...no progress on my end, up at 6 am ystdy and 5 am today to go to daughters softball tournament
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
889 Posts
Being a good dad comes first!
Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:46 PM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
2,018 Posts
hi there from Toledo

Hi Guys;

I've been busy with a new job for the last few weeks and have missed a lot, but now I have caught up and I must say the prototype build is delightful. Of course there are always things learned and adjustments made in any design. The prototype woodie fuselage is magnificent.

You might want to try a 2s A123 1100mah pack instead of a 4 cell nimhpack they would probably fit better in the nose. I used hs81 servos in my Houston eHawk for rudder and elevator, hs55 servos for the spoilers do the job just fine.

And JOLLY, that mold of the Condor/HH fuselage, WOW! What an undertaking!! Any idea when we will see an HH flying with a fuselage made from the mold? Might they be available any time soon? Hmmm?

I seriously applaud the effort you guys have put into this endeavour, bravo!!

ciao -rjf
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley
Last edited by ray foley; Nov 18, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
889 Posts
Thanks, Ray.
Onward!
Bill
RCG Plus Member