HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2007, 08:54 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Parts

Made up some of the parts needed. I had purchased the bell-crank from the supplier mentioned in the HH BOM. Somehow can't find it. So..instead of looking forever, figured it's quicker to make one. Laminated 2 - 1/16" ply pieces using 5 min epoxy. Made 2 of em and tested one to destruction. Took me..the 2 neighbors kids.. and their parrot to break it. Actually the only way I was able to finally break it was to clamp it in a vise and use a large vise grip to pull on it, and then had to pull with all my strength. Anyway drilled the pivot point out for a larger brass tube which will slip over the joiner tube. Did a lot of work pre-shaping the nose cone. Used hard balsa, when fuse is done will cover nose with epoxy resin, just to harden it up a bit.

erich
erich is offline Find More Posts by erich
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2007, 06:59 AM
Joined Sep 2003
158 Posts
song

The song is from the film "Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang". The scene is a bunch of old inventors trapped in the castle of the Baron Bomburst in the country of Vulgaria trying to encourage Grandpa not to give up on the flying car.

I hope this frees up some of your brain power for the build and not reinsert the tune into your thoughs thus clogging the works.
kevin6Q is online now Find More Posts by kevin6Q
Old Jun 03, 2007, 07:42 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
Kevin,
Well said!
May I quote you?
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Jun 03, 2007, 09:02 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,591 Posts
Erich!
I don't think that is one bit reverse engineering at all! It's proper term in videogame english is On Site Procurement! AND very beautiful at that!!
After having a bit of frustration with thunder and rain and underpowered edf sailplane trip, When I rolled up Craig's highstart for him today, I knew what I was missing! My primary set-up /takedown 1 mile walk!Obviously when the thermals get into the blood, they don't escape via sitting in the bathtub!
I have just finished recording onto DVD from VHS, some 22 year old history- not high quality, but at least up to date! would you guys down there on the other end of Hiway 35 like a copy? I'd be glad to send ya one! I'll be watchin' ya!!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Jun 03, 2007, 10:52 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Kevin

Thanks for freeing up my mind. Not an easy job. You missed the fact that it was roses not tulips.

Captain

Looks like a 2-meter "Weird One". Love that heavy thing on the right, is it a home-brew?

Good rationalization. Maybe it's more like sideways engineering, using wood: NOT to make a mold for fiberglass, but using glass as a pattern for wood (fuse). Well that's enough of this silly talk. Got get back in my "Laboratory" (the telephone booth), and work on the fuse.

erich
Old Jun 03, 2007, 04:42 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
On to Fin

Hollowed out nose cone just about as much as possible. The fin will be added to fuselage, just as in the Sagittas. So will be working on that next. Pinned down stab / rudder plan. Part of the plan is an outline of the glass fin. Will use that outline to build the wooden one. Gonna build one sorta freelance, but somewhat on the order of the Sagitta fins. Will be using a bell-crank instead of a wire as in the Sagittas.

erich
Old Jun 04, 2007, 11:10 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Fin

To build the fin. Used mostly 3/8" thick stock. LE is 3/8" x 3/4" medium grade balsa. TE is 3/8" x 3/8" medium grade balsa, with a 1/8" x 3/8" hard balsa piece laminated to it, using titebond. Both these pieces were tapered slightly top to bottom. Used totally straight pieces of balsa for these two. The two horizontal pieces are both 3/8" sq. Ply pivot plates are 3/32" x 1" sq. birch ply. Used the plan to get location of stab joiner pivot hole. All framework was glued in first using titebond. Then glued in one ply plate, making sure it was tight against build board, using titebond. Unpinned fin, turned it over and glued in other side, again making sure it was tight against board. Had a 3/16" spacer of ply between the plates while glue dried. Added the 2 - 3/32"sq. hard balsa pieces to reinforce ply plates' rear edges. Cut slot into bottom horizontal piece for bellcrank clearance. Will eventually sheet bottom half with 3/32" sheet balsa and top half with 1/16" sheet, after a final sanding of top to bottom, taper.

erich
Old Jun 05, 2007, 12:55 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
... I'd kill for a good Hawk fuselage right now.

The Hawk's Daddy... Jack
Jack,

I've got a good Hawk fuselage, and an Ex-Wife, could we work something out
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Jun 05, 2007, 01:32 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Which one you want to get rid of??

erich
Old Jun 05, 2007, 06:29 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Fin

Have added sheeting to upper half of fin. Will add lower sheeting after fin is installed on fuselage, and bell-crank has been put in. Did some rounding of the LE and shaped the upper curved area. Glued 1/2" length of 3/16" brass tubing into pivot hole of bell-crank, using 5 min epoxy, making sure tube was square to bell-crank. Ground tube down till it was almost flush with bell-crank. The small section of tube left in bell-crank, will act like a bering when it's slipped over the 3/32" stab joiner tube.

erich
Old Jun 05, 2007, 06:30 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Weeeelllll..... Whaddaya want for the fuselage? I'll have to pass on the ex. Delores and I are still gigglin' at each other after 35 years... I do sometimes introduce her as "My first wife," but she doesn't always laugh at that one...

email me.

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jun 06, 2007, 11:21 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Fin

Made an error on the fin. Seems, on the plans I have, the fin wasn't drawn to scale. My plans show the location of H. stab to be about 3/4" to far forward on the fin. According to Jack Womack, the newer plans are to scale. Anywho...found a note in the original building posts, where the dimension for locating the stab pivot hole is given (2 1/8" from rear edge of fin). So...got out my sharpest razor blade and as neatly as possible removed the ply pivot plates. Added a block of balsa to relocate plates about 3/4" further back. Glued plates back in and am back on track, at least I hope so.

erich
Old Jun 07, 2007, 02:29 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Rudder

Next step, make up the rudder. Pretty clever idea of laminating the 1/64" ply between balsa sheets, plus using it to space and secure the cross-sticks (ribs). Am using a scalloped type weight saving, on TE. Used a piece of basswood instead of balsa for the 1/8" x 3/8" LE rib (sticks) spacer . The 1/2" sq. balsa for the LE piece is fairly soft, so basswood will help stiffen it up. Tapered the basswood and 1/2" sq. LE piece by about 1/8" or so, top to bottom. Using titebond to glue.

erich
Old Jun 08, 2007, 08:09 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Rudder cont.

Got one side of rudder done. The ribs (or sticks) are added to both sides of spacers. Will unpin rudder when glue has cured a little more and finish up with the ribs on 2nd side. Some planing and sanding, and the rudder should start to look good.

erich
Old Jun 08, 2007, 07:04 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Calling Mr. Jack Womack

Jack, a question if you please. How much stab incidence, should I start with. Won't have a lot of adjustment (at servo only) so need to get a somewhat accurate starting point. It's probably been done on a HH already, but am going to go for a pull-pull set up on rudder. It's a pretty narrow fuselage, so am going to have to really work hard, at cramming it all in there.

Love the rudder and stab design. The rudder was realatively easy to build, got a feeling the stab is going take a little more work.

green air

erich