HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2008, 06:45 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Dean

Thanks. Am happy with it, only wish I'd of rounded the turtledeck a little more. Now I just gotta finish that last spoiler. Then hope for some warm weather.

erich
erich is offline Find More Posts by erich
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined Apr 2012
956 Posts
Hi Erich,

I really like the wood Sagitta-like fuselage you made for the HH. If you still have it and feel inclined, I'd love to know the dimensions (length, height at wing LE, length from nose to wing LE, length from wing TE to fin LE at base) so I might draw one up for myself since I cannot find a good FG fuselage to use as a model. If you feel like helping with these, please send a PM. Thanks!

W
wingloada is online now Find More Posts by wingloada
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:55 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,393 Posts
Erich, you did a great job on finishing your HH. My other half has been telling me that I need to trim the LE & TE just as you did. Now I see what she was getting at! Great Job! Keep us all posted on your maiden.

Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
956 Posts
My attempt at a wooden fuse design

Deleted
Last edited by wingloada; Sep 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: I think it's best for me to clear this with Jack first
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:28 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,844 Posts
Cleared... lay it on us...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:15 AM
Joined Apr 2012
956 Posts
Two wooden fuselages for HH

OK, I think I am going to try building one of two wooden fuselage designs that I drew up this weekend and tonight to support a HH wing/stab, plans for which I have ordered from Mountain Models.

This fuselage approach is based roughly on your posted Houston Hawk Version 1 dimensions:

Nose to Leading Edge roughly 13"
Root Wing Chord 9.75"
Trailing Edge to Rudder hinge roughly 27.25"
Total length roughly 50"

Both approaches use Eric's idea of a Sagitta-style lite-ply box with carved hatch and rounding. The first is based on an outline from the fiberglass fuselage Eric had on hand and shared on his build thread. The second, which is still a rough drawing, approaches it with more of a dropped nose look.

I know Jack is working on a wood fuse design and I don't want to step on toes or muddy those waters but he said "Go for it!" so here they are.

I am not an engineer of any kind--just a 51-year old who has built and flown a lot of power and unpowered RC planes.

If anyone feels inclined, do you see anything wrong or weak with the designs I have drafted that could lead to a better revision before committing to a build?

Version 1:
--- Retracted for general ugliness.

Version 2:
I modified the idea for more of a dropped nose. This will be much harder to build (no flat bottom, etc.) but I think I could cut a foam mold to match the bottom curve and build up on that support--never done that.

** It came to my attention after drawing up the fuselage and posting for suggestions here that it looked quite a lot like the Genie. I hadn't known of that plane before that comment (I was away from the hobby for over 20 years) but I see it is true. As such, I have taken down that version and replaced it with one that is not so Genie-like. It can be found in a later post in this thread.

Any and all help is welcome. :-)

Thanks to all.

Bill
Last edited by wingloada; Dec 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: error in link - design withdrawn
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:20 AM
Joined Apr 2012
956 Posts
Dwg files

** It came to my attention after drawing up the fuselage and posting for suggestions here that it looked quite a lot like the Genie. I hadn't known of that plane before that comment (I was away from the hobby for over 20 years) but I see it is true. As such, I have taken down that version and replaced it with one that is not so Genie-like. It can be found in a later post in this thread.
Last edited by wingloada; Oct 05, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:41 AM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
2,049 Posts
hi there from Toledo

Just to muddy the waters a bit, has anyone actually built an HH per the original concept drawings?

I like the generous wing fillets shown in the top view but not shown in the other views.

ciao -rjf
ray foley is online now Find More Posts by ray foley
Last edited by ray foley; Sep 26, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Apr 2012
956 Posts
Laser cut files

I added laser cut layout files for the two designs to the dwg set.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Apr 2012
956 Posts
Version 2 link

Bill

p.s. these are my first time using a computer drafting program for plans. I cannot be certain that all the pieces are exactly fitting. I tried the best I could to get it all correct.

B
Last edited by wingloada; Oct 05, 2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: removed link
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:29 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,393 Posts
I was wondering if a set of HH wings would match up to an Addiction fuse? I have been kicking around some ideas as to what to do with this spare fuse and thought if it is a good fit then I'll look into a short kit & plans.

Any thoughts?

Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
956 Posts
Drawing updates/corrections

Edited: Removed links
Last edited by wingloada; Oct 05, 2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:36 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Bill,

I really like the drop nose version 2 fuselage. I would like to try and build something along those lines and cover it with fiberglass.

If your going to build it,please do a build log on the fuse.

I'm currently building a Pod fuselage out of 3/32 basswood and balsa,then covering it with fiberglass,for a Pod and Boom fuselage for a 112" scratch build wing.

I did one once before for a Sig Riser 100 that turned out really good.

I've been wanting to build a HH for a long time.So I may copy some of your design,if that's ok. I'll wait and see what "Darth Wood Hawk" comes up with.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:44 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmerm View Post
I was wondering if a set of HH wings would match up to an Addiction fuse? I have been kicking around some ideas as to what to do with this spare fuse and thought if it is a good fit then I'll look into a short kit & plans.

Any thoughts?

Kurt
Should be fine, though the roots won't match exactly...

Jack (Darth Woodie...)
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
956 Posts
Eddie,

Thanks for the comments. I am looking into what the cost would be for laser cutting the ply parts and if affordable, I may go that way to make the build simpler. I was wondering about covering with bias 45/45 .70 lb. glass. I think it comes down to a strength vs. weight decision. Luckily, if I build it, I can wait until it's made to decide if it needs the extra reinforcement and the weight can bear it. I don't want to make it heavy if it can be strong enough without. Anyone with experience with this box approach who can predict torsional strength at the tail, etc.? Like I said, I'm not an engineer.

I have posted these designs and drawings for free use by anyone, please just attribute the source. If you make improvements and modifications, I'd love to see them and will keep them to myself if you wish.

Best,

Bill