HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:05 AM
TLAR Black Belt
Athens, LA, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,251 Posts
Very nice erich. When are we going to get a flight report?

Did you make drawings of the fuse to work from?

EJ
Athens, LA
ejett is offline Find More Posts by ejett
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:21 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Still got the spoilers to hook up. Will probably get to fly her by next weekend.

No drawings. I had the glass fuselage, which I laid over a large piece of 1/8" ply, then traced around outline of glass fuse. Afterwards cut out the tracing, and that became the sides of wood fuselage. Did the same for fin. Added a little depth to rear of fuselage (did this by gluing 1/4" balsa to top and bottom of ply sides) for added strength. The nose on glass was a little tight so added some height here also. The wood fuse is also about 1/4" wider than the glass one, for a little more strength and also more room to work work with the control systems. What I ended up with is a fuse that has the basic flavor and outline of the glass original, but looks a little better, fed.

erich
erich is offline Find More Posts by erich
Old Aug 13, 2007, 03:08 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
The whole thing

Even though wing is not, totally finished, just had to put the plane together. Am surprised I waited this long. Still need to cut out the spoiler openings, cover spoilers, hinge em, and run the control wires. Then the fun part.... seeing how much it takes to balance this Hawk. The stabs seemed kinda big to me, until I plugged in the wings, that seemed to shrink em right down to the where they actually looked small. This is a fair size bird. Looking at this, almost finished Hawk, can't help but notice, the graceful, look of it. Looks somewhat like a Hobie Hawk (only... a little better).

erich
Old Aug 13, 2007, 05:15 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Beautiful erich! I almost wish now that I'd bought the fiberglass fuse when you offered it to me...Oh well, someday Jack will offer a HH kit, right Jack?
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Aug 13, 2007, 06:43 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
I have assurances from Mark Miller of Isthmus Models that the kits will be out shortly... just in time for the winter building season... I don't want to be in the business. Those guys are much braver than I.

Erich, terriffic job, beautiful model. The best is yet to come, if it flys like most of them have, and I see no reason that it won't.

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Aug 13, 2007, 09:30 PM
Full Scale Better! UOHHHH!
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts
Wow, Erich. Looks even better mounted on your fuze. Can't wait to hear the flying report. Jack, got my plans from Mark, just waiting to see if I can get a fg fuze from him.
Allen
Phoebusflyer is offline Find More Posts by Phoebusflyer
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:24 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Thanks guys. Am real anxious to fly her too. Got a feelin' am going to be messing with the spoilers for a few days though. Anything to do with soldering always takes me a little longer, to get going on. Hopefully by the this weekend.....

erich
Old Aug 24, 2007, 08:41 AM
Dan Murphy
USA, MA, Hopkinton
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
Well, has this baby flown yet?
merlinmurph is offline Find More Posts by merlinmurph
Old Sep 23, 2007, 06:03 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,673 Posts
Erich!
are ya flying yet? are ya hoh? are ya!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Sep 23, 2007, 06:37 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Well...

I won RES at Amarillo today, flying my Hawk for 5 of the 6 rounds. Something happened to my elevator servo, and I changed to my Yardbird for the last round... Won second in unlimited with my Dragonfly Strong... Not as much fun as winning with your own personally-built model... or at least that's the way I see it.

So... Erich... flown 'er yet?

Jack

Jack Womack
Old Sep 23, 2007, 08:17 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Uhhh...
Far be it from me to cast disparaging words about our "Hotdog Glider Pilot," but according to some knowledgeable sources "Mr. Jack" has moved to the dark side. He refused to use our high powered, high dollar winch today. Instead, he used a high start!! Mercy! Has the man no shame?

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:44 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Used the High Start and flew an ARF What's the world comin' to? I did use the winch for all RES launches... at least give me that.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 12:34 AM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Roger that. Thanks for coming over
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Oct 08, 2007, 10:53 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Hawk rises.......again!

Finally got back to finishing this Hawk. My excuse for taking so long: been going to physical therapy for some rotator cuff surgery, so had to lay off using right arm for awhile (it's a lame excuse, but the only one I got). So to get on with it..... Working on the the spoilers, made the magnetic hold down things. Using the "screw it in or out method" which someone on this forum suggested. Threaded some hardwood blocks to except the small machine screws, then glued (titebond) them to ribs, to align with the magnets in spoiler blades. Will give glue a day or two to thoroughly dry, before hinging spoilers.

Sorry to all who recently posted to this thread, for taking so long to respond.

Congradulations on your win...Jack. Will be flying her soon.

erich
Old Jan 02, 2008, 02:21 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
Wow. I think I like the looks of the wood fuse better on this big bird.

Excellent job!

Dean
steelhead is offline Find More Posts by steelhead