SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:34 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Jack

Am not totally sure what you mean? But am assuming (usually not a good idea) you mean drawing up plans for the fuselage. If that's what you mean the answer is no. Have never done anything like that.

erich
erich is offline Find More Posts by erich
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:36 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Fuselage

Got left side of fuselage covered. Used 1 full sheet cut to width, to do the side. The nose area took a little more persuasion, then the rest, but finally got it to look acceptable. Will probably end up doing the fuselage, using 4 separate pieces of covering. Gettin there...

erich
Old Jul 30, 2007, 02:16 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Fuselage Covered

After covering 2nd side of fuselage in the same way as first, added sheet from back of hatch to fin, then full length bottom piece. All that remained was a very small wedged shaped piece from nose to front of canopy. Soon as I finished covering fuselage, screwed down canopy for first time (since covering). Stood back and admired my imitation glass fuse. Only thing I would do different is add a little more balsa to top rear deck from back of canopy to fin. This to get a little more rounded look. With the covering on, the fuse has a somewhat flat look in this area, which wasn't as apparent before the covering went on. From the wing LE forward it looks real good. All in all fuselage came out looking very good.

Sooo.....time for the wings, one of my least favorite things to cover.

erich
Old Jul 30, 2007, 08:14 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
I don't see any flies on that one... (a compliment in West Texas)

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:06 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Well pardner, am hopin to git a lotta flys on this un.

erich
Old Aug 02, 2007, 05:32 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Hinged Rudder

Still working on covering the wings with the Trans. Blue. For a little change, decided to hinge rudder. Glued hinges to rudder first, using 30 min epoxy (applied, sparingly). Then made sure rudder was absolutely centered on fin, and glued in with 30 min epoxy (used, sparingly). Afterwards sealed hinge line with 1/2" White Ultracote strips on both sides.

erich
Old Aug 02, 2007, 06:55 AM
Dan Murphy
USA, MA, Hopkinton
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
That is one sexy tail section. Gorgeous work, erich.
merlinmurph is offline Find More Posts by merlinmurph
Old Aug 03, 2007, 01:47 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Rudder Control

Well....connected up the pull-pull, rudder control rod (er...string). Tied off the rudder control horn, using 3 knots (which I don't know the names of) per string, and adding a little thin CA to keep them from unravelling. At servo end tied kevlar lines the same way, to a threaded eyelet. Added a lock nut and screwed eyelet into a metal clevis. Added a little tension to strings, and rudder is all done. Now only control left to hook up, is the spoilers, if I ever get done covering these wings. Added small 1/16" ply tail skid, by making slot into bottom sheeting, glued (titebond) skid between the bottom longerons and to sheeting, to give it good support. Stained it with some polyurethane (antique walnut).

erich
Old Aug 03, 2007, 01:55 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
merlinmurph

Thanks merlin....but I only slap wood against wood, Jack Womack is the man who should get the credit for coming up, with such a good looking tail. Butt....if you think the tail looks good, wait till you see the fuselage with the WINGS.

erich
Old Aug 04, 2007, 07:03 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Wing Covering

All the Trans. Blue, on wing is done. Did each wing in six sections 3 on top 3 on bottom. Basically one piece for each dihedral break. Left 1/8" gap at TE and 1/4" at LE. Will wrap each of these areas, with White covering. Before adding the wing covering cleaned wing with damp cloth, to get rid of any dust. Took almost a week to get all the blue on the wings, just did 2 sections a day.

erich
Old Aug 04, 2007, 07:32 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,196 Posts
Nice , straight structure. Smooth , wrinkle-free covering.
You make me sick !

JUST KIDDING ! Very nice build.
Your an inspiration to those of us who try and end up with something that looks like its already exploded during a zoom launch.

Many kudos.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Aug 05, 2007, 08:40 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Thanks....it's more likely due to retouching the photos. Though using ultracote, does help, as does lotsa practice.

Sorry to hear about you being sick. Just kidding.....er.....I mean no kidding. Have made more than my share of planes that look like they belong in a geriatric ward. Anywho, am glad the covering job is just about done.

green air
erich
Old Aug 05, 2007, 07:16 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,630 Posts
That is quite gorgeous there, Erich!
That's the fun of wood! Keep it up!!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Aug 05, 2007, 09:12 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
Those Hawk wings are really beautiful... and YES... I am a bit prejudiced...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Aug 06, 2007, 12:25 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
We all tend to be (prejudiced). Jack, being a pilot, did you ever get a chance to fly a Libelle? Or seen one fly? It's the only full size plane that looks better than all the rest. Guilty to being prejudeced here, too. Had a chance to buy one, back in '88, but blew it! Fell in love with that plane watching a John Denver video, in which he flys a 102. One of these days gonna build a scale Libelle. Also a Cherokee (3rd best looking glider), and a Schwiezer 1-23 (the 2nd best look plane). Pardon the digression.

Thanks, Captain C, thanks, Jack. The Hawk wings are comin along, just a little more trimming to be done.

green air
erich