HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:23 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Was just about ready to ship it to ya, when I realized, you'd probably get it up in one of those Texas sized (Ok ok...New Mexico) thermals down there, on the first launch, and then neither one of us would ever see it again. So will keep it here till she's able to handle those Big Uns down your way. Figure that'll take about 176.5 thermals. So, soon as this "Phoenix" Hawk, racks up that many, she's yours. Of course to keep things legal you'll need to send me that Yardbird (or at least the fuselage).

erich
erich is online now Find More Posts by erich
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:31 AM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
Are you sure that's a Hawk? Perhaps you should ship it to me so I can be sure it flys good enough to be called a Hawk... It looks good enough, but I need to be sure...

Jack
You know, that is really good looking. Maybe instead of getting molds made of the Condor fuselage, someone should draw up that fuselage for the Hawk.
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2007, 05:09 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Wings Again

Time to get back to the wings. Glued tips to tip panels, with Titebond. In looking over some of the Hawks pictured on RC/Groups, noticed most have the end tips glued on straight (inline with the tip panels). Glued these on with a little dihedral (or to be more accurate...quadrahedral). Not 100% sure why I did this... but it just looked right. After both tips were glued together, discovered why I did it this way, with the two glued up tips held together it makes a great, mini flying wing. Or at least it LOOKS like a great flying wing.

erich
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:16 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,627 Posts
Your following my rulebook just fine, there "bootcamp"
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Jul 19, 2007, 03:29 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Once again. We (the mouse and I) don't need no stinking rule book........

erich
Old Jul 20, 2007, 05:08 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Wings

Made an airfoil template using root rib profile, on plans. Got LE to conform to template as close as possible. Needed to sand mainly the LE pieces. Had done some preliminary sanding by sight. Found I had made LE a little to blunt, a little sanding along top and bottom of LE made for a sharper entry. Got pretty close if not exact in matching template. This plane is, my personal best, in matching planned airfoil to actual wing.

erich
Old Jul 21, 2007, 04:02 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Wing

Decided to use my stinking fuselage after all. It may not be as slick as the original glass slipper, but having made it from the board up, I kinda like it. So....glued tips to rest of wing. Since I had glued in the tips with a little dihedral, have glued tip panels in with a little less dihedral, than called for on plans. I know...sacrilege. But with a little less dihedral, it looks better. No science here, just, a builders choice. Applying old aerodynamic rule number 1: TLAR.

erich
Old Jul 22, 2007, 07:11 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Wings

Yippee....all wing framing complete. Have added some root area eyelets, for the springs, am using for wing retainers. Now.... one more final light sanding and wings will be ready for cover up.

erich
Old Jul 24, 2007, 04:32 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
The Cover up

Started the covering, with rudder. Am using Ultracote trans. blue with Ultracote white trim. Have found the rudder to be one of the more tricky things to cover, when using a separate color for trimming edges. A lot of accurate measuring is needed to get the white trim to line up with the underlying balsa. Ironed on the blue to each side first, leaving about 1/8" gap to edges. Then, LE trim and TE trim were both done using 1 piece of ultracote. Used 2 pieces for top and bottom trim.

erich
Old Jul 25, 2007, 06:49 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Stabs Covered

Got both stabs covered. Only tricky part here was getting the root area curve to come out right. Had looked all over my workbench area to find just the right curve. Finally gave up and decided to have a cup of coffee. To keep from spilling onto the work bench (have a new set of plans already taped down), I used a saucer, under the cup. Yup, you guessed it, the saucer was the perfect radius. Made 4 curved sections of the white and ironed em on. Had to be a little careful not to iron the blue against the ribs. The blue needed to span OVER the rib area. Wasn't sure how this would work, but it seemed to work just fine. So...2 more pieces covered. Probably do the fuselage next, starting with canopy.

erich
Last edited by erich; Jul 25, 2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 02:38 PM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
Sure is looking good erich!

I know it has to be done, but I really hate to see all that beautiful framework covered up. :-)
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
Old Jul 25, 2007, 06:21 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Well at least the wood can still be seen through the blue. Wings should be even better, with less white. Got a feeling the fuselage is going to come outthe best, in all white.

erich
Old Jul 26, 2007, 03:09 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Canopy Covering

Covered canopy, using Ultracote blue, and also trans. blue. Not sure which I like better. So here are both colors. Yes only one of them is left. But if I don't like the last blue I used, will redo it one more time. Going to wait till fuselage and wings are done, to see how it looks when in place. Ironed on the blue first, then cut a long semi-curved shape in the white to get the canopy shape, and ironed that on over blue. By pulling and doing a little bit at a time, with the iron, was able to get a wrinkle free canopy.

erich
Old Jul 27, 2007, 07:57 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Fin Covering

Add a few turns of kevlar tow just in front of fin, added a little thin CA to hold in place. Covered the fin with the white Ultracote. Used 2 pieces of covering, one on each side, then added a small strip at LE to cover the seem.

erich
Old Jul 28, 2007, 07:55 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
Erich,

Are you planning on drawing this fuselage up?

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman