Old May 28, 2007, 09:36 AM
GOK
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Aug 2005
1,302 Posts
Discussion
need advice on a balsa kit for a first time builder

I guess the title says it all.

I want to try my hand on building a balsa kit.

Something around 36-40" wingspan. Perhaps a piper cub or a cessna 182 or even a tiger moth?

Open to any advice in terms of where to start!

What kits are available out there? what would be an easy build, preferrably with building instructions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

GOK
GOK is offline Find More Posts by GOK
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2007, 09:39 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,403 Posts
GOK,

Got a nice Cessna 180 here in stock... else a Tyro 150. I'm also getting in some clipped-wing cubs in the next week or two.

http://www.pldaniels.com/rcshop/fram...lanesbalsafull

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old May 28, 2007, 11:16 AM
Joined May 2007
10 Posts
yes go for a high wing. leave the biplane for the time being. there are some traps flying biplanes and your hard work will be in vain as they are easy to stall with so much drag. The cessna would be fine with all kits go easy on the glue. use zap where you can will cut the building time in half. Trial fit servos at frame time so connecting rods are sorted out prior to closing in the frame with balsa skin...these little ideas will pay for themselves in time saving later. 40" planes likely mini servos the best size even micro in some cases will siffice. i like the mini's and have some metal geared which are good for nose wheel/rudder and ailerons. compact but strong as they can strip the plastic gears at times. good luck
amberook is offline Find More Posts by amberook
Old May 28, 2007, 07:33 PM
GOK
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Aug 2005
1,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels
GOK,

Got a nice Cessna 180 here in stock... else a Tyro 150. I'm also getting in some clipped-wing cubs in the next week or two.

http://www.pldaniels.com/rcshop/fram...lanesbalsafull

Paul.

Thanks for the pointer Paul,

I laready saw the MM cessna on you rsite but I am after something I can equip with power plants I have lying around and my hunch is that the Cessna would be too small and light for what I have. Th elightest pack I have is a 100g 1300mah 3s lipo and the lightest motor I have is a 57g BP21. So I am thnking this powerplant would be too heavy for the cessna???

How big will the Clipped wing cub be Paul? will it be from MM as well?

Amberook,

Thanks for all tehtips mate.

Actually I am a relatively competent flyer and have flown bipes before. The only thing is I haven't worked with balsa before and want to try my hand at it. ANother incentive in byuing a kit is that I'll be moving overseas soon and am guessing kits would be much easier to ship as they would fit in small boxes?

Cheers,

GOK
Old May 28, 2007, 07:37 PM
I'm off my medication...
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
393 Posts
Hi GOK,

Have you taken a look at the StevensAero stuff at Nitrodude?

Cheers,
Oz.
ozrcboy is offline Find More Posts by ozrcboy
Old May 28, 2007, 08:52 PM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Canberra, Australia (Southside)
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
I've a cub-type park flyer which last flew with a 7 cell nicad (~80g??) and a geared speed 400 (~70g)... flew fine until the gearbox blew. It's span is ~ 36".

I plan on using a cheapo brushless similar to a BP21 soon (and 2S 1800).
glydr is offline Find More Posts by glydr
Old May 28, 2007, 09:02 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,403 Posts
Well, I've got a clipped wing J3 Cub from MountainModels coming in, also had a full-wing version but that's sold already. They'll arrive sometime next week probably if the order goes out this week.

J3 Cub - http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=477
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old May 29, 2007, 03:48 AM
Gone Flyin!
WA
Joined Jul 2006
83 Posts
l have found the great planes kits pretty good, l know of three of their kits which have been built (Ultimate, 60 4st size and a P-51, 70 4st size- my dad and a cap232, 52st size- my wife) and they all went together well
matty1 is offline Find More Posts by matty1
Old May 29, 2007, 06:59 AM
GOK
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Aug 2005
1,302 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys.

As I was ahving a look at my LHS yesterday two planes caught my eye.

I know these are not conventional balsa buids but does anyone have any experience with Ace Hobby Simple series? I saw the F4U and the piper cub and they looked ok and nicely priced.

These are balsa fuse, foam core wing kits designed originally for small nitro motors. They have wingspans of about 35". I did a search on RCG people have bot good and bad comments on them.

Any one had any experience with thee from our part of the world?

Cheers,

GOK
Old May 29, 2007, 08:33 AM
Volta was revolting
Mount Annan, Sydney
Joined May 2006
1,508 Posts
GOK,

I suggest that you steer clear of representations of real planes like the Cub etc.

For your first balsa build, go for a generic type with perhaps a built up wing. Remember that your first few builds are for learning how to build straight, and how things are built.

Once you have mastered the art of building, you can get into building copies of real planes.

OME
old man emu is offline Find More Posts by old man emu