HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2007, 11:10 PM
Kings Park, New York
Joined Jan 2005
1,241 Posts
Discussion
Align Trex 600 metal head parts driving me crazy!

Is it just me, or are a lot of you having problems with the Align Trex 600 metal head parts ? I'm building my second Trex 600. On the first one, I just went stock, and the plastic parts were fine. It really is a great heli, and I thought I'd bling out on Trex 600#2. First, both SF Mixing Arms are bad - one seems to have bad bearings (knotchy), and the other is just tight, like the bearing race is rubbing on the arm. Then, it was the Washout Arms, one was perfect, and the other was tight. Are these common problems, or am I just unlucky ? It's really frustrating!
Thanks.
Ken
kenmalecki is offline Find More Posts by kenmalecki
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2007, 12:29 AM
T-REX450SE T-REX600CF
Breckenridge, CO
Joined Nov 2006
912 Posts
Sorry, but I went with all the metal upgrades I could find when I built my 600 and all went together perfectly.
MartyWakat is offline Find More Posts by MartyWakat
Old May 28, 2007, 12:34 AM
sky is the limit
NJ, US
Joined May 2002
116 Posts
2 600s, all went together without any problem.
AeroSports is offline Find More Posts by AeroSports
Old May 29, 2007, 11:15 AM
Kings Park, New York
Joined Jan 2005
1,241 Posts
Must be me . Thanks guys .
Ken
Old May 29, 2007, 11:25 AM
Fallbrook, CA
Joined Oct 1998
1,113 Posts
Align has been notorious for quality control problems in the past. One of the reasons I sold my 450. It may just be that you are the unlucky recipient of bad parts. So, I would not assume you are the problem.
Arthur Knowles is offline Find More Posts by Arthur Knowles
Old May 29, 2007, 11:29 AM
Kings Park, New York
Joined Jan 2005
1,241 Posts
Thanks Arthur. The first problem I encountered was the "thrust washers too large and/or spindle shoulder too short" problem, which Align has since fixed with a revised spindle. I had the original spindle on first build.

I ordered new parts and will send the defective ones back to Align. I hope the new ones are OK, and that Align makes good on the bad ones.
Ken
Old May 29, 2007, 01:10 PM
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Feb 2007
70 Posts
I had the same problem with the mixing and control arms, they were binding. I used the plastic arms instead and they are much smoother.
Anthony.L is offline Find More Posts by Anthony.L
Old May 30, 2007, 08:47 AM
Kings Park, New York
Joined Jan 2005
1,241 Posts
I T"HINK I found out what was wrong with the bad parts. Apparently some of the glue (green retainer) that they use to fix the outer race to the part leaked over into the bearings. I'm not 100% sure, but I can't see anything else that's binding.

I have new metal parts coming today. Hopefully they will be OK.
Ken
Old May 31, 2007, 11:08 PM
Kings Park, New York
Joined Jan 2005
1,241 Posts
Just to close the loop -

To make sure I had enough good parts, I bought 4 SF Mixing Arms and 4 Washout Arms. Just tried all of them and 2 of each were bad and 2 of each were fine. The good news is that now the rotor head is complete and it's perfect. The bad news is that Align's quality control is terrible - with 50% of their metal parts being defective.

Moral of the story - If anyone wants to upgrade to an all metal head on their Trex 600, you might get lucky and get good parts first time, but more likely it will cost you twice as much to upgrade because half the parts will be bad.

Align - HOW ABOUT PAYING MORE ATTENTION TO QUALITY!!!!

Ken
Old May 31, 2007, 11:32 PM
Fallbrook, CA
Joined Oct 1998
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmalecki
Align - HOW ABOUT PAYING MORE ATTENTION TO QUALITY!!!!
Ken,

As I pointed out earlier, that's why I sold my Trex 450. Of course since my wife also bought me a Lepton EX it wasn't hard to make that decision. The Lepton Ex is a quality helicoptor from the the box to the air.

I no longer own any Align products and don't expect to either. Too many other products with a better quality control system.
Old Jun 04, 2007, 08:48 AM
Kings Park, New York
Joined Jan 2005
1,241 Posts
Arthur: Agreed. But somehow Align stays successful, probably because they know how to stay just above the line of quality where only a few people suffer enough problems to vow off their products. That probably says that not many people are currently using the Trex 600 metal head parts, because 50% is clearly below the line (based on my small sample). If Align comes out with a Trex 600SE that uses those parts, they'll first have to solve the quality problems with those parts (by getting someone on the factory line that knows how to use just enough retainer to install bearings without destroying them).
Ken
Old Jun 04, 2007, 09:27 PM
Fallbrook, CA
Joined Oct 1998
1,113 Posts
Ken,

I hear you. Align has been successful I think because they produce in quantity. Sufficient quantity to keep the price low. Low enough to be affordable to the masses. It's a good strategy. It works.

But I've been bitten by enough Align issues that I have moved on to bigger and better things. I truely like my Lepton Ex. It's as much a piece of art as it is a RC helicoptor. Just hope I don't beat it up!
Old Jun 05, 2007, 12:09 AM
Kings Park, New York
Joined Jan 2005
1,241 Posts
Sounds great Arthur! Maybe I'll make a Lepton EX my next heli. It would be a pleasure to build a heli that goes together smoothly with no glitches.
Ken