HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2001, 07:45 AM
Middletown,CT,USA
Joined May 2001
7 Posts
Whiteman Helicopter training stand?

Has anybody used the Whiteman Enterprises Helicopter Training Stand. Tower Hobbies sells it for $195. I am thinking about starting electric heli(Voyager E) and it is a toss up about either to train with a sim or a stand that will allow me to pratice on the real thing without danger of crashing. The stand is cheaper than the good sims out there and it appear you can use it in the basement or garage so praticing in bad weather is not an issue. Looking for some input from the group at large. Thanks

[This message has been edited by tbogli (edited 05-14-2001).]
tbogli is offline Find More Posts by tbogli
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2001, 08:14 AM
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2000
2,545 Posts
My opinion. Its a big heaavy contraption that you will try to use a few times and then you will start to hang clothes on it. Years ago I bought one for my Concept EP and found it was not very useful. You are better off using the standard for helis which is the 2 rods with wiffle balls. $200 would be better spent on a simulator or really anything else.
JIMJAM is offline Find More Posts by JIMJAM
Old May 14, 2001, 08:30 AM
Serenity Now!
O'Fallon, MO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,322 Posts
*****opinion mode on*******

These things are a waste of money. They don't do any thing for you and in fact can be a detriment to learning to hover. Save your $200 for additional heli stuff and don't waste it on that boat anchor.

***** opinion mode off ******

That being said, go to the hardware store and get some wooden dowels and 4 wiffle balls (size of the balls and dowels relative to your heli) Attach the dowels into an X with a ball at each end of the sticks. Make sure the X is at least three quarters of the rotor dia. Attach the X to the skids of your heli so that each axis of the X is 45 degs from the long axis of the heli.

When you learn to hover keep it low at first. Hovering at 6" is the same as 6' Start by just getting enough lift so you can scoot around on the balls of the training gear. As you get good at that then work your way higher. There are several good books on helis but these are mostly for IC versions. They devote much of the book to set up. However, the flying portion applies to either IC or electric.

If you can get a simulator then go with that. The sims are VERY good and are good for training. You can choose between fixed pitch and collective pitch versions.

My advice is use the $200 to get a simulator program. That is money much better spent.
jbrundt is offline Find More Posts by jbrundt
Old May 14, 2001, 02:10 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Look into FMS Free Sim rivals the commercial ones. I am building the Robin 280 files for such. There is already a good number of heli files available for download from the FMS web site and associated links.

An RC interface can easily be assembled with just a few discrete electronic componets and once you download and setup the program it is an excellent way of training for close to nothing.

See the Yahoo Microhelicopter Club also for latest FMS info that may help you get started.

Mario www.micro-flight.com/newframe1.htm
Mario is offline Find More Posts by Mario
Old May 15, 2001, 12:09 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
The SIM is a much better investment than a training stand!!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old May 15, 2001, 12:54 AM
No "R" !!!!!!!
Where Spacemen Live (TX)
Joined Jan 2000
1,082 Posts
I almost gurantee you can find a used flight sim for around $100 on E-bay or rconline.com. Even the CSM sim new is less than $200.

-FTZ
Fitz Walker is offline Find More Posts by Fitz Walker
Old May 15, 2001, 02:13 AM
SF Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2001
383 Posts
I have the realflight delux, how do I know when I am ready? Is realflight as real as they advertise?
rcastab is offline Find More Posts by rcastab
Old May 15, 2001, 02:36 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
When it becomes fun and you really don't think about flying it, then you can "start" with a real heli!

The heart will still pound, but you will have a much beter chance of not just bashing it.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old May 15, 2001, 06:24 AM
Hatboro Pa. USA
Joined Jan 2001
346 Posts
The stand it a total pile of JUNK. Dont make the same mistake I did. Actually my wife bought me one for xmas a few years back. After 2+ hours building the thing I used it twice and sold it on ebay for 100.00 Get the sim for the 200.00 Then get the sticks and balls. But instead of wooden dowels go to your local Sears and get 2 fiberglass driveway marker sticks. You cant break them and are a whole lot lighter than wood. Then send a kid into McDonalds playland and have him snitch you four of the play balls. Drill them to the same size as the fiberglass rod and then get some automotive fuel line and cut 8 pieces about 1/4 inch in lenthe stick a piece on then a ball then another piece to keep the ball on the stick. Now you can adjust so the ball will rotate on the stick, this way you will be able to feel the heli wanting to rotate on take off and learn how to use your rudder. Oh, Just for the record. I sell balls and driveway markers all made up. I bought a case of each balls and sticks.
27.00 a set shipped in the lower 48
Good luck
Capt. Dave is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Dave
Old May 15, 2001, 01:32 PM
Dugway/Stansbury Park UT
Joined Oct 2000
363 Posts
Say it,, Say it ...

Sim..

Now, once again,

"Simulator!"

The stand is a reminent of the olden days precyber-space.

--Gi
giheli is offline Find More Posts by giheli
Old May 15, 2001, 01:44 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Really, give this sim some consideration. It's Free, you don't loose anything by trying it.
FMS SIM Gate: http://home.introweb.nl/~erics/fms/index.htm

Interface: http://www.net-express.com/nexus/fmsinterface.html

Have Fun!
Mario
Mario is offline Find More Posts by Mario