HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2007, 11:08 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
Help!
Brothers Mystery Plane from The 70's??

Hi You Guys,

I have been trying to identify my brothers plane from the 70s. I was lucky enough to get quite a few parts from it, but really want to make this one again in his memory. like it was when he made it --and re using the parts from his old one..he made it for a relative (sea bee) from the south pacific theater--to look like a p-40--so its really a remembrance of Uncle John, and brother Danny.

this memorial day has brought this to light--and it would mean a lot to me if someone would please help me accurately identify it if possible.

I still have the engine prop, landing gear, gas tank, and some material to match, as well as some other misc parts... I'm sure i could nail it if i could get the kit or plans..i have a lot of experience at building, but this one has me stumped.

i looked at the nobler but the tail is really different it seems..i would really like to get the same one --or the plans...

please help if you can

regards

Tim
ZRS4 is offline Find More Posts by ZRS4
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2007, 12:51 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
here are some of the parts i have of it--as you can see--when you compare the landing gear of the 1966 top flite nobler from ebay--the landing gear is one piece vs..my bothers plane has a separate gear per side..
Old May 28, 2007, 08:03 AM
Joined Apr 2007
70 Posts
Looks like a shoestring to me
Adduckted is offline Find More Posts by Adduckted
Old May 28, 2007, 01:10 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,038 Posts
I would post your question on the Stuka Stunt Forum. http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcb...pics&forum=103- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2007, 01:32 AM
Mike A.
Des Moines, IA
Joined Oct 2005
364 Posts
The captions to the photo's have it right - it is a P-40 stunter by Top-Flite. There were two in the series - the other is a Hawker Hurricane.
mikeainia is offline Find More Posts by mikeainia
Old Jun 05, 2007, 07:32 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
i found the hurricane and its due to arrive any time now--so the next step is to see how close it looks; and keep an eye out for the p-40--

Thanks for helping me to I.D. it. The McCoy motor is still looking good and the spinner and tank are also..the McCoy is a 29 size..

Im not sure what the odds of finding a P-40 stunter are--i am willing to pay the $$ but just havent seen any available on ebay or anywhere else so far--so i grabbed the Hurricane--the bids went up to about 100..so that was not too far out there..

i guess we will see how it goes.

Tim
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:10 PM
New Guy
Simpsonville, SC
Joined Sep 2007
59 Posts
I know that this is a little late for you but I went back and dug out one of the boxes from one of my past builds and your plane looks just like it. The plane is the Dolphin from the 1960's.
This may not be the same kit but it sure looks like it. The plane has a 49" wing span, is 35" overall length, and is a control line stunt plane.
donfl3344 is offline Find More Posts by donfl3344
Old Nov 08, 2007, 12:19 PM
Sgt Schultz
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Sep 2004
3 Posts
I agree with mikeainia. It is a Topflite P-40. I have a Goldberg Shoestring and a Dolphin both hanging on the wall and it is neither of those. The Shoestring is a profile model and the Dolphin has fuse mounted landing gear and a sheeted C-tube wing.

Schultz
Schultz is offline Find More Posts by Schultz
Old Jan 08, 2008, 10:56 PM
Suspended Account
other sites and forums
Joined Jul 2005
305 Posts
ZRS4
at first glance thought top flight p-40 or hurricane
then noticed swept l.e.(straight)and thought thats not right
looked at hurricane hanging on wall--swept l.e.
couldnt think of any other plane it could be
then remembered unbuilt p-40 kit and looked at it---straight l.e.!

if it flies as good as my hurricane it flies good!real good!
the formed sheet balsa fuselage build up unbelievably light and the wing builds light.
kept light and that .29 should fly it realy sweet---O.S. .35 is more than mine needs--a hot rod stuntship
good luck!

David
supertiga is offline Find More Posts by supertiga
Last edited by supertiga; Jan 08, 2008 at 11:11 PM.