HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2007, 05:54 PM
Captured RAF FW - 190
Worcestershire, UK
Joined Nov 2006
300 Posts
Discussion
Sapac T34 Mentor RTF

I bought one of these recently and its maiden flight went well. Sadly on the second flight on the landing it came rolling along the road and into the kerb and broke the plastic spinner off. So all week I flew it with out spinner and removed the wheels to choose a belly landing on the grass. The model itself flys very well and would suit as a 4 channel electric beginner or trainer plane in my opinion. The quality of the model was good and the bundled 72 mhz radio gear very good indeed as a bundle and I flew it as such.
The only problem being the skimping on glue in the factory where they are pre - built and the plastic parts around the tail plane glued to the foam fuselage eventually came loose. So I re-glued with foam safe Cyno and a bit of tape in case it came loose again in the air in future and its better than before. The motor (brushed 290) can seem slow at times but is fast enough for a beginner. It has aerobatic ability, I have looped it but found it to struggle at this a slight dive will help but it rolls well and can fly inverted. It flys well at half power too and you will notice hardly any difference in speed at level flight on half power. It looks good on a low pass. I just wonder what a Lipo/ brushless setup would do for this plane ?
I would say consider this if you want a plane 4 / 3 channel aileron capable to begin with If you still want a plane that looks good and not like a toy.

http://www.sapac.com.cn/prodshowe.as...90231&action=2
300s is offline Find More Posts by 300s
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2007, 01:44 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
53 Posts
Looks good, how fast does ot go and how large an area are you flying it in??

Will
Will7813 is offline Find More Posts by Will7813
Old May 27, 2007, 09:12 AM
Captured RAF FW - 190
Worcestershire, UK
Joined Nov 2006
300 Posts
The area which where I fly this is about between 500 / 600 meters in diameter but it happily banks and turns in half the area there. The bundled radio is said to have a range of 1km but I have not tried to check just in case but you will get good altitude as well as distance.

As for speed thats difficult to judge Its certainly fast enough for a beginner.
I mail ordered mine in from the US (I live in UK) and together with international delivery cost me around 80.00. In the UK the same bundle is sold for 130.00.
I got it from the E-bay shop Toyneer. I believe they are also available from toysonics.com
Old May 27, 2007, 04:52 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
53 Posts
mmm, I looking for an airleon trainer to go too after my FB phantom (its either that or get all the gear and go slo stick) I have an AFL sized area to fly in, buta bigger water area, if I put it on floats.

Will
Will7813 is offline Find More Posts by Will7813
Old Sep 06, 2007, 06:38 PM
Captured RAF FW - 190
Worcestershire, UK
Joined Nov 2006
300 Posts
Just an update
This plane flies very well with a Tower pro 2408 - 21T brushless outrunner motor and 2 cell (7.4v) Lipo 800 / 900 mah 10 / 12C discharge, which fits just nicely into the battery compartment under the wing.
Climb rate is very good at 3/4 to full throttle, though it is a lot lighter with the lipo and a breeze does knock it about, so don't fly in strong wind!
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:31 AM
sin
Joined Sep 2007
3 Posts
SAPAC T-34 with Brushless and LiPo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300s
I bought one of these recently and its maiden flight went well. Sadly on the second flight on the landing it came rolling along the road and into the kerb and broke the plastic spinner off. So all week I flew it with out spinner and removed the wheels to choose a belly landing on the grass. The model itself flys very well and would suit as a 4 channel electric beginner or trainer plane in my opinion. The quality of the model was good and the bundled 72 mhz radio gear very good indeed as a bundle and I flew it as such.
The only problem being the skimping on glue in the factory where they are pre - built and the plastic parts around the tail plane glued to the foam fuselage eventually came loose. So I re-glued with foam safe Cyno and a bit of tape in case it came loose again in the air in future and its better than before. The motor (brushed 290) can seem slow at times but is fast enough for a beginner. It has aerobatic ability, I have looped it but found it to struggle at this a slight dive will help but it rolls well and can fly inverted. It flys well at half power too and you will notice hardly any difference in speed at level flight on half power. It looks good on a low pass. I just wonder what a Lipo/ brushless setup would do for this plane ?
I would say consider this if you want a plane 4 / 3 channel aileron capable to begin with If you still want a plane that looks good and not like a toy.

http://www.sapac.com.cn/prodshowe.as...90231&action=2
I've recently put an HIMAX 2816-0890 in my T-34 with an E-Flite 20 AMP Brushless ESC. I purchased some 1500mAh LiPo batteries (3 cell). This required a few modifications to the motor mounting bracket. Amazingly the header cover over the motor bracket and firewall and such fits just fine, other than the outrunner sticks out of it just a bit. I've also switched to 2 blade 9x6 props (with a prop saver).

This plane is now nearly 3-D, it will climb nearly vertically, and is quite an acrobatic plane. I will be making a few modifications to my wing structure (mainly re-enforcing it with carbon fiber rods) so that I can do some of the more crazy stunts, I've seen my friend fold a wing coming out of a rapid loop with the new brushless/LiPo system.

My only suggestion is, do it. She will take off with less than 10 ft. of runway and will do all the crazy tricks (dutch rolls, knife edges, etc.).
sin is offline Find More Posts by sin
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:26 PM
Captured RAF FW - 190
Worcestershire, UK
Joined Nov 2006
300 Posts
I coated the white area with white self adhesive film covering (on just the wing at the moment) and orange film underneath gained a little more airspeed this way.

My outrunner sticks out the cowl too, but its not really that much of an issue. I still use the 8x6 tri - blade props it came with (they are indestructible).

When the throttle gets opened up it likes to climb straight off not so much going forwards but straight up

I found mine struggled to loop when it had stock 290 / gearbox and Nimhs. I always had to dive a little first to get some speed, but now there is no problem.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:25 PM
FPV/Quad Copter Noob!!
Perth Western Australia
Joined Aug 2007
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sin
I've recently put an HIMAX 2816-0890 in my T-34 with an E-Flite 20 AMP Brushless ESC. I purchased some 1500mAh LiPo batteries (3 cell). This required a few modifications to the motor mounting bracket. Amazingly the header cover over the motor bracket and firewall and such fits just fine, other than the outrunner sticks out of it just a bit. I've also switched to 2 blade 9x6 props (with a prop saver).

This plane is now nearly 3-D, it will climb nearly vertically, and is quite an acrobatic plane. I will be making a few modifications to my wing structure (mainly re-enforcing it with carbon fiber rods) so that I can do some of the more crazy stunts, I've seen my friend fold a wing coming out of a rapid loop with the new brushless/LiPo system.

My only suggestion is, do it. She will take off with less than 10 ft. of runway and will do all the crazy tricks (dutch rolls, knife edges, etc.).

I have just purchased the same Sapac T34 model and installed a OK-C2830B outrunner with a 25 amp speed controller complete with a 3 cell 1800mAh LiPo. I am using the standard prop supplied with the model and a custom made motor mount which keeps the motor behind the standard engine cowling.

I have had to lengthen the battery slot to accommodate the battery which has messed with my CG a bit and at the moment I am struggling to get the plane balanced properly. I have flow it once and I have to agree it makes for a very short and vertical take off!!!

I would be interested to know if you guy's had any balance/CG issues and if so how you over came them, I would also love to see some photo's of you wing re-enforcing if you have any.

Thanks
kx315 is offline Find More Posts by kx315
Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:14 PM
Captured RAF FW - 190
Worcestershire, UK
Joined Nov 2006
300 Posts
I found from the start it was a little tail heavy . I first balanced it out by using some lead fishing weights by gluing in the small plastic container they came in, just inside the nose. Doing this using the supplied cog in the manual.
But it needed a lot and didn't fly well with the stock motor, and haven't tried with the brushless setup I took the weights out.

I find with this plane you can just set some (down elevator in my case) elevator adjusting between flights at the servo and you can get a nice level flight no need for extra weight after all.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:25 PM
FPV/Quad Copter Noob!!
Perth Western Australia
Joined Aug 2007
346 Posts
Quote:
I found from the start it was a little tail heavy . I first balanced it out by using some lead fishing weights by gluing in the small plastic container they came in, just inside the nose. Doing this using the supplied cog in the manual.
But it needed a lot and didn't fly well with the stock motor, and haven't tried with the brushless setup I took the weights out.

I find with this plane you can just set some (down elevator in my case) elevator adjusting between flights at the servo and you can get a nice level flight no need for extra weight after all.
Thanks for the advice I will give that a try, I am glad in a way you found it tail heavy also it has been doing my head in now for a couple of days trying to figure it out

Once again thanks
Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:30 PM
Captured RAF FW - 190
Worcestershire, UK
Joined Nov 2006
300 Posts
Ha, I bent an outrunner shaft after I rigged it up for brushless because I had to set up with a another transmitter (72 mhz is illegal for RC in UK) and the trims were out
Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:44 PM
FPV/Quad Copter Noob!!
Perth Western Australia
Joined Aug 2007
346 Posts
Quote:
Ha, I bent an outrunner shaft after I rigged it up for brushless because I had to set up with a another transmitter (72 mhz is illegal for RC in UK) and the trims were out
LOL I forgot to mention snapping a wing off on landing on the maiden But with some 5 min epoxy and some tape all ready to try again I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:41 AM
Joined Sep 2007
14 Posts
To reply to Sin's post (I'm the friend he mentions who folded a wing on one of these after being our group's T-34 brushless/lipo guinea pig), the HiMax 2816-0890 fits well and really wakes up this little foamie, but if you want the stock cowling to fit, you'll need one of these: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1915 and the stick will need to be sanded on the sides (it's wider than the opening in the e-flite adapter) and shortened by ~1/2". After doing so, presuming you're still using the stock under wing battery compartment, the CG should be about perfect (it shifts slightly forward, but this plane is tail heavy to begin with, so that's a good thing). As Sin alludes to, a lipo/brushless combination is more than this aircraft was designed to handle, and it's wing, weakened by the battery compartment placement, won't withstand the maneuvers it's now capable of performing. After the afore mentioned failure, I channeled the wing (using a soldering iron with a drill bit collar to adjust for depth and a metal straight edge) and added a .157" carbon fiber spar (two pieces boxed in the center to account for the wing's dihedral). I'm sure .157" was overkill on a plane this size, but it's rock solid now. I'll post some pics of my firewall/stick and spar mods for those who requested them.
sutekh is offline Find More Posts by sutekh
Old Sep 20, 2007, 07:12 PM
FPV/Quad Copter Noob!!
Perth Western Australia
Joined Aug 2007
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutekh
To reply to Sin's post (I'm the friend he mentions who folded a wing on one of these after being our group's T-34 brushless/lipo guinea pig), the HiMax 2816-0890 fits well and really wakes up this little foamie, but if you want the stock cowling to fit, you'll need one of these: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1915 and the stick will need to be sanded on the sides (it's wider than the opening in the e-flite adapter) and shortened by ~1/2". After doing so, presuming you're still using the stock under wing battery compartment, the CG should be about perfect (it shifts slightly forward, but this plane is tail heavy to begin with, so that's a good thing). As Sin alludes to, a lipo/brushless combination is more than this aircraft was designed to handle, and it's wing, weakened by the battery compartment placement, won't withstand the maneuvers it's now capable of performing. After the afore mentioned failure, I channeled the wing (using a soldering iron with a drill bit collar to adjust for depth and a metal straight edge) and added a .157" carbon fiber spar (two pieces boxed in the center to account for the wing's dihedral). I'm sure .157" was overkill on a plane this size, but it's rock solid now. I'll post some pics of my firewall/stick and spar mods for those who requested them.
Hi Sutekh thanks for your informative post I would love to see some photo's of your mods.

Thanks KX
Old Oct 03, 2007, 07:27 PM
Joined Oct 2006
1 Posts
Is the Sapac T34 Mentor RTF a good beginner plane for someone with no flying experience?
wacarney26 is offline Find More Posts by wacarney26