SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 26, 2007, 11:20 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
183 Posts
Discussion
The Sh#t Stick

Guys,

I got bored while cleaning the garage yesterday and got creative with some blue core. I maidened her this morning and she flys great . Let me know what you think. This is my first scratch build from foam, and I really enjoyed it.
emb145drvr is offline Find More Posts by emb145drvr
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2007, 12:14 PM
Suspended Account
In DEBT
Joined Aug 2006
46 Posts
You got the name right on that one.JK The way I see it is, who cares how pretty it is while on the ground. They all look good when in the air.
Flyer X is offline Find More Posts by Flyer X
Old May 26, 2007, 12:27 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
183 Posts
thanks,

She isn't a looker by any means. But talk about STOL flying. No rollout at all on landing. She basically hovers to a stop
Old May 26, 2007, 12:34 PM
AMA 42867
Joined Nov 2003
584 Posts
Congrats on your first scratchbuilt! Flyer X has the right of it: They all look great in the air.
callmeishmael is offline Find More Posts by callmeishmael
Old May 26, 2007, 12:46 PM
feel no remorse
underground
Joined Jun 2004
1,184 Posts
I like the plane, but i dont like the way your top wing carbon rod is held in place. It look like it holds on with hot glue on both ends of the rod along with a middle riser. Chances are if you land bad the rod will give it away and brake off. You might wanna attach the rod more to the wing

Tom
youth must fly is offline Find More Posts by youth must fly
Old May 26, 2007, 01:33 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
183 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words. Tom, I was thinking the same thing but I'm not exactly sure the best way of securing the rod. Any ideas?
Old May 26, 2007, 01:38 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
I like how you have a spacer on the top strut, I had not thought of that and it would probably have been suitable for my current plane.

Even if the carbon rips, you can put it back on later, but what would work is some credit card into the wing with a hole that the carbon feeds through. That way as its trying to lift up from the wing, it's got to pull the credit card, which is embedded in the wing with epoxy.
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old May 26, 2007, 04:30 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
183 Posts
Bad news. The sh#t stick killed my outrunner motor. The winds were dead calm and she seemed to really be hanging off the prop. I did a couple of circuits around the patch and a couple of landings. On one of my last patterns the motor seemed to be making a funny noise. On short final a puff of smoke came from the motor and I had to dead stick her in. I think the wing just would not produce enough lift. I think I'll try another this time the wing will have much better camber.
Old May 26, 2007, 04:32 PM
feel no remorse
underground
Joined Jun 2004
1,184 Posts
So the motor is toast now, looks like you pushed it to the limit
Old May 26, 2007, 05:15 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
I like the name...good one.

Auctually, installing CF tubes and rods with tension, as in bent, make them less flexable. If you install one as a flush wing spar, put a bow shaped slot into the foam and then fire up the hot melt. Now you can use smaller and lighter CF.

If your using wire or CF for pushrods, make sure they are also bowed by adding a bearing support at the half way point. For stays I use round paper clips that have an eye bent into them.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old May 26, 2007, 05:28 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
EMB: The Sh#t Stick, what a great name, I like it. What you need is the 'modeller's Swiss army knife' .......a wattmeter. You'll save it's cost in short order in not frying your electronic gadgets and best of all, get the right prop installed for your setup.

Auctually, installing CF tubes and rods with tension, as in bent, make them less flexable. If you install one as a flush wing spar, put a slight bow shaped slot into the foam and then fire up the hot melt. Now you can use smaller and lighter CF.

If your using wire or CF for pushrods, make sure they are also pre-tensioned or slightly bowed by adding a bearing support at the half way point. For stays on CF I use round paper clips that have an eye bent into them. For metal PRs, you'll need a plastic or nylon bearing.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old May 26, 2007, 05:41 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
183 Posts
Thanks for the tips goldguy. Are there any tips or how to's on building with the blue core you can buy at home stores. I like the stuff because it's cheap and readily available. I'm planning on trying to build a Antonov AN-2 soon.
Old May 26, 2007, 07:24 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,277 Posts
Awesome bike - I'd rather mountain bike but road riding is great too.

Interesting plane - sorry abou tthe motor - can it be rewound - is the ESC okay?
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old May 26, 2007, 08:36 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
183 Posts
Buzz Man,

roadie hun. I keep telling myself I'm going to get a road bike for better training but I have never gotten around to it . Also how do you rewind motors? As far a the ESC I think it still works fine. I hooked it back up just to see what the motor would do and the ESC seemed fine. The motor on the other hand just kind of stutters and won't get going.
Old May 26, 2007, 09:02 PM
feel no remorse
underground
Joined Jun 2004
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emb145drvr
Thanks for the tips goldguy. Are there any tips or how to's on building with the blue core you can buy at home stores. I like the stuff because it's cheap and readily available. I'm planning on trying to build a Antonov AN-2 soon.

Take a look here it might give you some ideas

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648927