HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2007, 08:21 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,739 Posts
Discussion
Chris Craft Colors

I just received a Marx 1955 Express Cruiser from ebay, which had been one of my first larger sized model boats. It is in dire need of resoration, which was my plan anyway.

This one had the clockwork motor in it, which doesn't work and will be replaced anyway, but, unlike the electric version that was a kit, this one must have been pre-assembled. The bottom of the hull, as well as the props and rudders were sprayed red. I will be repainting the bottom with the bronze underbody color and red boot top like Chriscrafter's Corvette and Straprats' Catalina seen on this forum.

My question is, what was the color of the rudders? I just reviewed Straprats' Catalina thread and looked at Chriscrafter's Corvette pictures, and they don't provide a view of the rudders or props.

Second, if you are reading this, Chriscrafter, what is the paint brand and color you used for the aqua cabin top on your model. It fits my recollection of the real boats perfectly. I have also seen pictures of white cabin tops, but the aqua really gives it that 50's feeling.

Thanks,

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2007, 09:57 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,769 Posts
In case C'rafter isn't around, I remember him telling me that the whole model was done with hardware store spray paints (and much hand polishing). I think the aqua was a Rustoleum.

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old May 25, 2007, 10:33 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
P J Glor, I can tell you what Im using on my Sterling Catalina,Tamiya "coral blue"part #TS-41.In my opinion, this is a close match,but check it out and make your our call.I really love the old CC's,can we see some pictures?
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old May 25, 2007, 10:40 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,413 Posts
My grandparents had a Chris Craft, and if I remember right, the rudders were bronze, unpainted.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old May 26, 2007, 12:48 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,455 Posts
Aerominded is one of our resident Chris-Craft color experts.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old May 26, 2007, 01:35 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,023 Posts
So is D. Anderson. He currently restores them.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old May 26, 2007, 01:57 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Which model Express Crusier is this, Pete? I can look the colors up in my book! in 1955, Chris Craft used "Aqua Marine" and on some models, a bright turquiose like green- both colors very "1950's"- These colors look really good with the mahogany cabin tops in my opinion!

Good question about the rudders- I think Brooks is right about that, they may have been left bare... painting them bronze will have you covered! I assume this model is plastic?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old May 26, 2007, 02:45 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,739 Posts
It is the 1955 42' Express Cruiser. Same hull as the Sterling Models Corvette. Interestingly, there was only one hull built as a Corvette for the 42' model, but Sterling memorialized it with their 48" model kit.

The Chris Craft essential guide lists the cabin color as "green" and waterline as "black" but the photo on the page is of a boat with a white top and a lighter colored waterline that is probably red. The model cabin top is greener than the aqua of the Corvette, but I think that either the aqua or the white would look better.

I am also going to have to find a good color for the wood cabin parts and deck, as the deck is unpainted with sort of a swirl pattern in the color of the plastic. The hull is unpainted white plastic. It is 18" long -- a little bigger than the Sterling plastic kit of the 42' express cruiser.

I like the idea of painting the rudders to match the hull. I will also paint the hull white, and open up the portholes.

Below is a picture of the boat as sold and received. The white splotches on the bottom are not glare from the flash, they are worn paint, but, as discussed above, I had planned to redo it anyway.

The boat comes in at 1/28 scale, so I should be able to find some passengers at some of the model car parts sites. 1/25 is close enough.

Pete G.
Old May 27, 2007, 01:57 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Hee hee, sounds like you have the same book I have! the green on the model looks very close but isn't quite bright enough (faded plastic) in my opinion! I know what you mean about the pictures not always being consistant with the descriptions, re color...
Old May 27, 2007, 05:27 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,739 Posts
Yes, Aerominded, I am sure it is the same book. I almost bought it on ebay. I got caught up in a bidding war and then wondered what it retails for. It was at least $20.00 less at Amazon and, mercifully, I got outbid, so I got it through Amazon.

I found some paint codes on CG Bob's thread for his Catalina. But if you believe the green is close, I recall a similar color on the 1955 and 1956 Ford Fairlanes, so think I can find it as a Boyd color or I can buy the car color through MCW. I still need to get good colors for the wood. I reread Pat Tritle's thread for conversion of the Lindberg PT to a speedboat, but I think the scale of the Express Cruiser is too small to try simulating wood grain. The engine hatch covers are also scribed in the after deck, so I can probably use chrome tape to do the metal edges.

Pete G.
Old May 27, 2007, 09:12 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
The 55 56 Ford colors are very very very close! I've been looking at the Testors/Boyd colors and I think that is the way to go!

When you start work on this project, I / we sure would like to see a thread!
Old May 29, 2007, 02:57 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,241 Posts
I am curious about the duration and performance of the original clockwork power system being an old toy fan. I have an old Erector set spring-wound motor that could power something like that with proper gearing to get prop rpm up but duration would probably be about 30 seconds or less.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old May 29, 2007, 03:15 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,739 Posts
I can't say how long the clockwork system would operate, because the motor does not work. There were many tinplate clockwork boats in that era, however that could make a few circles or cross a small pond. There were even a few with a friction motor operated by a handcrank on the deck. I remember a tinplate diving submarine in particular with a friction motor that you would crank up and then it would dive while moving forward and bob back up after the motor slowed and stopped.

Pete G.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:05 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,739 Posts
The "Bible" [Enthusiasts Guide] is Right!

I just came across a 1955 colored ad for Chris Craft boats that once again proves the Chris Craft Enthusiast's Guide [the 'Bible'] is spot on. Although the 42' Express Cruiser is not pictured, there is a 40' express cruiser in the colors listed in the Guide, including the black waterline stripe with bronze lower hull. I had located some Boyd "50's Aqua" for the cabin roof, but the ad color looks a little darker, so I may have do do some color mixing and air brushing to get it right. There are several other boats with the same green cabin tops, so that must have been the "in" color in 1955 before going to the turquoise or white roofs.

I also got a gear puller, so I can remove the prop shafts from the drive gears to slide them out of the stuffing boxes and get the clockwork motor out of the boat without too much mayhem. Appropriately attired passengers [and a few that are probably 'inappropriately attired' for the 50's] are enroute by mail. As for the restoration, I will start with the power train and hull, and I am considering a few options for the cabin and decks. Build thread should start soon.

Pete G.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 05:53 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,739 Posts
Chris Craft -- The Essential Guide

Speaking of the "Essential Guide," it is currently listed on ebay, but Amazon has it on sale even cheaper at $32.97 for a new one -- normally sells new for $49.95. Check this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRIS...30766998QQrdZ1

Got the gears, props and rudders off. Will start a build thread this week.

Pete G.