SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 25, 2007, 03:26 PM
Jupiter ,Florida
Joined Mar 2007
54 Posts
Discussion
ESC Wiring Size ?? I'M Shocked

Hello , Is it me or what . I have a beginners trainer plane and have crashed it . So I am repairing it which includes a new fuselage ... So I am gonna Hop up the motor a little bit while I have it apart ... I bought a more powerful one and was advised that the ESC would need to be a higher amp one most likely...

So Here we go .. I got a 40 amp Esky model one which should be plenty big enough ... It came in the mail yesterday and I was shocked ... The wires going to the motor are 18 guage and the ones to the battery are 16 guage ... I am pretty good with wire sizes I could be off be 1 size but still they are/seem way small to me ...

These wires have 40 amps going thru them??? I am confused Have any of you gotten one of these before??? Is this the correct size wires ???

One thing is that the ESC that is in the plane now has larger wires than this one ... I tried to get some specs. off of it but there is no writing anywhere ... I even removed the shrink wrap from the ESC to try to see any #'s or anything ... Nothing ... I figured this is a cheap plane so it has the cheapest parts they could use ... That's why I bought the new one ... Now I am not so sure it was a good Idea ...

I am thinking of useing the one that's in there ... What's the worst thing that will happen ?? Smoke the ESC ?? So What ... Or will it harm the new motor or restrict the performance of it ???
realllybeginner is offline Find More Posts by realllybeginner
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2007, 07:10 PM
Jupiter ,Florida
Joined Mar 2007
54 Posts
Picture of Speed Control

I hope this is a picture of the speed control .. I have put a toothpick and a paper clip next to it so you can see how small the wires are .. The wires to the right (bottom) are the ones to the motor .. The ones to the left (top) are the battery wires ... There are 2 wires in each of them.. They are even smaller than they look here to me ... You can click on the picture to enlarge it ... Thanks for any advise you can give me .. Don J.
Last edited by realllybeginner; May 25, 2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: click to enlarge picture
Old May 26, 2007, 09:54 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,889 Posts
Don,
It should be fine. Wire sizes seem to be getting smaller these days. My new Castle 25 has some skinny looking wires as well...
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old May 26, 2007, 02:14 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
You don't state what motor/prop/battery you are using now, and what you are considering "upgrading" to.

One thing I will tell you is that there is NO WAY those small JST plugs will handle over about 10A without melting. You will definately need to upgrade the Battery and Motor connections.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old May 27, 2007, 12:37 AM
Jupiter ,Florida
Joined Mar 2007
54 Posts
Hello I am using a 8.4 volt 1300MAh Ni-Mh Battery and a speed 480 Graupner 7.2 volt motor .. I haven't decided on the prop yet ..
The thing is I feel Raidentech misled me on this ESC ..Check this web page and tell me what you think . www.raidentech.com/40aeshiquale.html

I thought it was a 40 amp . How does it look for you ?? Thanks , Don J.
Old May 27, 2007, 01:03 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,773 Posts
Bad link. Well, good link but they won't let you hot link to this item.
Regardless, you really need to put a watt meter on your battery to ensure you don't over amp anything.

Rick
www.commonsenserc.com
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old May 27, 2007, 01:30 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,703 Posts
yea i would not try to put 40 amps though that!... my thunderbird 18 (18 amps max) has way bigger wires than that...
I'm pretty sure somebody screwed up when they were translating the specs for those ESC's....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old May 28, 2007, 01:31 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,199 Posts
You probably won't want to put more than 15A through that motor anyway. Is it to be direct drive or geared?

Edit: I just looked at some specs for the bog-standard 7.2v 480 (not the BB version) and it seems 9A/45W is the limit.... that seems very low???
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Last edited by Dr Kiwi; May 28, 2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old May 28, 2007, 02:06 PM
Jupiter ,Florida
Joined Mar 2007
54 Posts
Hello , Dr Kiwi ... Thanks for the answer ... The motor is going to be direct drive .. I don't think this ESC will pass even that many Amps ...

I was being nice about the size of the wires .. I mean they may be 20 or 22 guage to the motor . It was just that whatever .... It was not gonna handle 40 amps ...Ever... I would think that a manufacturer would build in a little fudge factor,overbuild a little ...

I would like/hope you could go to the Raidentech web-site and look up a 40 amp ESC for brushed motors .. The page that directs you to this ESC says it is a 40 amp .. I will try to post a link to it but I have found that links on this web site leads you to their Home Page ... Still You can find the ESC from there .. Someone made a mistake when they read the specs and transcribed them in the sales ad .. Or they did it on purpose to sell mure eith the low price promise

I hope you get to see this Dr. Kiwi because I'd sure like a suggestion where to get a real good ESC .. I am a little concerned about buying stuff off the web for planes now ... I also bought a "480" motor that turned out to be a 400... I just need to be more careful .. That's all ..

www.raidentech.com/escforai.html That's the web address for the page leading to the one I got .. Look at the one for $13.95 . Ishould have known because of the price .. But I am New .. Oh well Thanks for listening ..Don J.
Old May 28, 2007, 06:44 PM
Savoy, Tx
Joined May 2006
213 Posts
There is no way a 40 amp esc is going to have JST plugs on it with 22awg wire. Even the 14 amp esc's have 18awg or better. I melted those plugs and 22awg wires with 17 amps, but that is another story.

The prop you put on that motor will determine your amp draw and most 400 motors only handle up to 10 amps or so. I won't put more than 5 amps through JST plugs and 22awg wires.
I would get a watt/amp meter asap and use one of the many programs out to determine what volt/motor/prop combo to use.

Charles
Craymar is offline Find More Posts by Craymar
Old May 29, 2007, 07:51 PM
Jupiter ,Florida
Joined Mar 2007
54 Posts
Motor and ESC Help ... Please..... :-0 HELP ! !

Ok , So I/we have decided that the ESC I bought from Raidentech was either a mistake by them or they were using some "creadive marketing" ..

So ... Please , someone tell me which ESC is a good one for my needs . I am going to need no more than 20 Amps Max ... I will be using a brushed motor ... I don't think I need any special options ..

This is going in a Trainer Plane nothing very exciting about the flying .. Just to not crash ..That's my goal ...

I am trying to bump up the power a little while I am repairing the damage it had a 370 motor in it and I have bought .... Belive it or not ...3 motors .. ...

Can someone maybe help me decide which one to use ??? Guess I should have asked about this too before I bought 3 motors ...

First I got a "480" I thought.... The 480 I bought was a E-flite also says Electric Power System 480 on it . But thru some of the forum friends I have found out that this is a "Long Can" 400...it's a 8.4 volt motor

So in trying to get a little more power I got a Graupner Speed 480 Race motor in 7.2 volts ... when I was asking about it on the web I had been told I should not use it ... I'm still not clear on why -- something about not being able to put enough amps thru it withoud burning it up.. "For my Plane???" :-(
I don't understand this .. to me a 480 -7.2 volt with a 8.4 volt battery should run GOOD ???

Side Story.. When I was a kid (40 yrs ago ) Iraced slot cars . We Put 3 volt armatures in our motors and ran them on 12 volt tracks ... Ran Good!! With the extra voltage ... same Idea to me with the 7.2 motor here with the 8.4 volt battery ??

OK ... So the last motor I "HAD" to buy is a Dymond -- Max 4/400....7.2 / 8.4 volt motor ... I heard that dymond was a real good motor and at first could not find the web site ...So when I did find it I "HAD" to Buy one ???
Got it today and it Looks like the smallest one I have ???

OK ... I'm nut's ..so what ..So finally now Duh! ... I'm asking ..Begging ... for Help .. The plane I'm working with is a 1.27 lb ... 55 inch wingspan.... 8.4 volt Ni-MH 1300 mAH ...pusher prop ... Called the Wild Hawk .. got it from Harbour Freight ... first plane .. So Can I use any of these motors ?? which one is best ??? And for a prop??? Biggest I can fit because of the pusher is a 6 inch otherwise bigger will hit the body ... Fuseledge ...

I'm sorta begging now ... Help ...Please ... What to do ?? It's noy as easy as I thought ??? From what I've been told ... I am still waiting on the wings to arrive and have to get a ESC obviously ... but I'm ready to finish this .. And start on the next one ... Ha? Ha! ..

Thanks so much for any help I can get ... Don J.
Last edited by realllybeginner; May 29, 2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old May 29, 2007, 07:56 PM
Jupiter ,Florida
Joined Mar 2007
54 Posts
AGGHH !! ... That was supposto be a new thread ... Another Bonehead move ... Don..