HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2007, 03:01 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
Question
Brother's plane from the 70's?

Hi you Guys--i am usually over in the scale electric planes --but i have a problem here--

My brother Danny made this back in the early 70s, and the family gave it to me after he passed away--i have only some pieces of it now--the motor-gear, gas tank, samples of material

What i want to do is locate this old kit and rebuild it like his with the stuff from his plane..

If any of you guys can help me figure out which one it is, maybe i can hunt for it on ebay or another source..

here are the pictures--im sure any of you guys that lost a brother understand my project here..

Best Regards

Tim
ZRS4 is offline Find More Posts by ZRS4
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2007, 02:09 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,574 Posts
There is a Forum on RCU that deals with older designs. You may want to post these pics, and ask over there.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old May 26, 2007, 09:56 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
thanks --will try that too..

Tim
Old May 26, 2007, 11:45 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,574 Posts
I hope that you find what you need. It's a great way to honor your brother's memory.
Old May 26, 2007, 04:02 PM
Say no to ARFs
Manchester Municipal, New Hampshire, United States
Joined Sep 2003
159 Posts
I don't know just what it is, but looks a bit like an old Top Flight Nobbler control line plane.

Check with a control line forum and I bet they will be able to fix you up.

I lost my Big Brother last year and know just what you want to do. I have all my Brothers fishing tackle and just this morning went out on the lake with it and caught some bass for him.
Hans
Heavy Date is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Date
Old May 26, 2007, 09:39 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,541 Posts
You may want to try the control line forum, should be easy for those guys to identify.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old May 27, 2007, 03:58 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,574 Posts
Now that hans mentioned it, it does look like a Nobler control line model.
Old May 27, 2007, 10:57 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
It does look like a nobler, so i looked at some pics of that one but the tail and fuse seem different from the cockpit back..

then again, it may be an earlier version--so that may be right..

i will post on control line forum too then--thanks for the idea. This is what real life memorial day means to me..thanks for helping you guys. I would have gone fishing too if thats what he left me. Thats a good idea.

My brother got me interested in building r/c planes. when i was little feller--he used to build them and i would get all excited waiting for him to try them out.

Im sure that if he had not been killed we would still be enjoying the hobby togther today.

Have a Good Memorial Day you guys

Tim
Old May 27, 2007, 12:46 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
heres why i think its not a nobler

again --i will post in control line also-but to keep this going a little in hopes of someone recognizing it..

the landing gear parts are not a single peice like the kit shown (top flite nobler from the 60's)

some of the parts on the counter top provide that information.

T

the gas tank is labelled perfect, the wheels are labelled perfect, the spinner is labelled veco, and the motor is McCoy 29 the prop is top flite 25 10/6
Last edited by ZRS4; May 27, 2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old May 28, 2007, 12:34 PM
Say no to ARFs
Manchester Municipal, New Hampshire, United States
Joined Sep 2003
159 Posts
Top Flight also made a control line P-40 and I think Hawker Hurricane. As I remember they were all based on the same design, they just had things changed a bit to resemble the aircraft they were supposed to look like.
In short, it may be a Top Flight P-40 stunter.
Hans
Heavy Date is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Date
Old May 28, 2007, 06:21 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
Thanks Hans--i think thats right..now to find one..I sure appreciate your help here!

Tim