HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2002, 01:14 AM
Joined Oct 2002
36 Posts
Stuttering Servos

I have had a couple of times in the last day where I will turn on the Radio and Servos, and the servos will just not respond to the radio. Sometimes they will just sit quietly, sometimes they will stutter violently.

When they are stuttering, it gets worse if I put the radio closer to them.

I fiddle around turning them off and on, a while later they come good, for no apparent reason, no change in setup at all.

I have attached a photo of my setup, I have my switch wired to the RX, apart from that it should all be standard.

Would appreciate any input on what this might be.

SB

safetyboy is offline Find More Posts by safetyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2002, 02:19 AM
near Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
No idea really, but Id start by removing the switch from the setup. Its not really needed unless your Rx is is a bad postion to get at.

Lancair
Lancair is offline Find More Posts by Lancair
Old Oct 29, 2002, 05:00 AM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
U need to find out exactly what is misbehaving. Servo, rrx or tx.

If u have another rx, when the problem happens again, try to leave the broken setup alone, then power up the other rx and servo. THis way u can eliminat the tx as a source of the problem.

Also, check the batts.

Good luck, this kind of stuff can drive u batty. One time I had a bad rx AND a bad esc in my parts bin. Man, talk about going nutz trying to find the problem.

Mum
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Oct 29, 2002, 07:19 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Sometimes the servos will glitch a little if the transmitter is too close to the reciever. Next time it happens, move the radio away and see if it stops. A friend of mine has a radio that does the same thing, but as long as the transmitter is more than 5 or 6 feet away it's fine.

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Oct 29, 2002, 07:53 AM
Joined Oct 2002
36 Posts
I don't have another RX, the kit is all brand new - Zagi and Flash 5 radio.

It is not the servos, as both of them do it, plugged into either channel.

I don't think it is the radio, as it happens even when it is off, near or far.

It shouldn't be batteries, they are brand new and I gave both the TX & RX a 10hr charge.

If it is of any importance, they tend to move a little further than I can move the servos just using the sticks when they are working normally - far enough to touch the foam of the ZAGI, I have cut out foam for their normal movement.

I took a quick video of it with my Canon Digital camera, don't know what codecs it uses, it complains when I try to play it with Media Player, but is fine when I use Quicktime.

Right click and save as if Media Player ownz your computer (or has made your computer it's bitch.....)

Crazy Servos
safetyboy is offline Find More Posts by safetyboy
Old Oct 29, 2002, 08:00 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,184 Posts
That's pretty severe. I have to ask, are the Tx and Rx crystals on the same channel? I had the same problem and found I had forgotten to change an Rx crystal when I went to use a different Tx.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 29, 2002, 08:29 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,039 Posts
Probably the reciever. It's rare for a transmitter to be bad. But there are quite a few delicate components in the reciever. It's more than likely a bad filter or a bad xtal.

make sure the antenna wire is not still wound up and make sure there are no other high power electronics near where you are testing the radio. No computers, TVs, vacuum cleaners, electric motors etc. These can cause interferance if they are close enough.

A few other items to check,

Make sure the antenna in the transmitter is tight, they sometimes work loose and cause problems. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Make sure the xtal is seated properly.

If it still does it send the transmitter and reciever to Hitech!

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Oct 29, 2002, 11:01 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by safetyboy
I took a quick video of it with my Canon Digital camera, don't know what codecs it uses, it complains when I try to play it with Media Player, but is fine when I use Quicktime.

Crazy Servos
That is a great video. You should dub in the theme from Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho". Hehehehe.

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron