SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old May 24, 2007, 09:46 PM
Starting to Rebuild
Fayetteville NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,028 Posts
Discussion
Could this be a threat to our hobby or worse?

I have been interested in RC planes for a long time and have thought some anout UAV's. Being in the USAF and getting to see some UAV's in action and having to look for terrorest threats a thought occured to me. What kind of danger or harm could someone used a large scale model as a weapon. With the technology that is available and the motivation to cause harm that some people have, isn't it a matter of time before someone builds a drone equipped to carry a dangerous payload?

The method used to build such a UAV is not my focus here, I dont want to encourage anyone to move in this direction of turn this into a terrorists how-to. My worry is that if it happens the danger to the hobby could be great. Law makers could be pushed to set regulations that would limit what, where, and how we fly and build. Imagin having to register our models having to have them inspected or certified. Being limited to only a few places to fly or being limited on the size of out models.

I think it is just a matter of time before we have to deal with this. Has this topic been brought up already?
Wingnut31 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut31
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2007, 10:21 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Argghhhh, Here we go again.

Use a rider truck and automobiles. They're the current M.O.
Please lock this thread before this starts up again. Sit and think just for a minute how many ways there are to kill a lot of people and start thinking about shutting all of them them down. Bear in mind ancient people used to stone people to death. The last thing we need is people in our own ranks talking about what havoc we can wreak. Again. Join the good guys. Please.

Dan
kd7ost is offline Find More Posts by kd7ost
Old May 24, 2007, 11:11 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,376 Posts
http://wcbstv.com/local/local_story_137002709.html

Your spoon full of _Terror_ for the week
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old May 24, 2007, 11:22 PM
United States, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,630 Posts
HOLY CRAP
RyAn

Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
http://wcbstv.com/local/local_story_137002709.html

Ryan Archer is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Archer
Old May 24, 2007, 11:53 PM
5 miles from the geographical center of Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2005
2,144 Posts
you'd be insane to use a model airplane when you could use a Cessna. Even a single seat ultralight airplane can carry 200lbs of something that could do real damage. A model airplane can carry 20 lbs if you lie a little.
Unterhausen is offline Find More Posts by Unterhausen
Old May 25, 2007, 12:31 AM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,453 Posts
What is that saying about the government prying my transmitter from my cold dead hands?...

I agree with kd7ost; these discussions don’t make one a better UAV designer, external pilot or aerial photographer and that’s what we are here to do.

From an international perspective, our FAA problems are very local indeed and must grow tiresome to the many international readers of these threads. One should write one’s local congressman or newspaper if one has a “homeland” security concern and keep local politics and laws out of an international technology forum.

Jeff
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop
Old May 25, 2007, 01:14 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster

I agree that it takes open eyes and alert modelers to protect our hobby. Good citizenship always applies.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Last edited by HELModels; May 25, 2007 at 01:45 AM.
Old May 25, 2007, 02:08 AM
Joined May 2001
2,952 Posts
I wonder if the mods would be willing to move this thread, and others like it, to the "Life, The Universe, and Politics" forum. I'm all for open discussion but these things always turn into a mess, and as workshop pointed out, are hardly even relevant to what this forum is truly about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut31
Has this topic been brought up already?
Sincerely no offence, but yes it has, many tiring and pointless times. At the end of the day, the questions being posed answer themselves, nor are there ultimately any actionable outcomes that come from them. It just gets people's shackles up and makes everyone cranky for a month or so.

Especially Dan...

Luke
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Old May 25, 2007, 02:33 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,656 Posts
Sucking up wont move it. Getting cranky yet? The automod needs to register certain key phrases and words, and possibly a few warnings need to be issued. When the threshold reaches the magic number, automod kicks in and then MtnGoat joins the discussion. Let me try:

Bush
Democrats
Neocons
Patriot Act
Terror
Al Qaeda
Al Qaida
Al Dente
Al Gore
Old May 25, 2007, 02:35 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
During the waning days of WW2 the Japanese tried balloons packed with explosives to fly across the pacific on the Jet stream but they weren't very successful. If terrorists wanted to blow something up it would be much easier to just use a Ryder truck or car as stated in an earlier reply.
Sure, they "could" use an RC plane but if they were that intent it'd be much easier and more effective to load a Cessna up and do it that way. Besides, how ya gonna get those forty virgins if you don't fly it in yourself?
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Old May 25, 2007, 02:42 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,656 Posts
Quit trying to make it a relevant discussion.
Old May 25, 2007, 02:46 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,656 Posts
Global Warming
Melting Ice Caps
Hybrids
Fox News

Turn it into something useless
Old May 25, 2007, 02:49 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,656 Posts
Let's play Whack-a-Mole
Old May 25, 2007, 03:12 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,656 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689976

Start linking to LUP, couple of pages of that might do it.
Old May 25, 2007, 03:13 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,656 Posts

throw a few anger icons in there, shake it all up, and bake on 375 for an hour.
Closed Thread