HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:35 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Next I trimmed the perimeter of the plugs so I could do some real sanding and sprayed them again. I also sprayed the back of the plugs to help them stay more stable.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:42 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Setagaya
Joined Jan 2005
227 Posts
Very nice shape... looks great these "topographic" lines come from the layers of wood the plugs are made from I guess? I wouldnt mind them printing through on the final fuses

Philipp
Akerman is offline Find More Posts by Akerman
Old Jun 19, 2007, 02:42 AM
Joined May 2007
24 Posts
Looking mighty fine Joe!
Freak at the Top is offline Find More Posts by Freak at the Top
Old Jun 19, 2007, 03:00 AM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2002
644 Posts
Looks nice Joe,

My advice to you is to seal the sides of the board as well because if you don't it will absoarb humidity, will grow thicker and distord the board.

@+
Francois
Florrain is offline Find More Posts by Florrain
Old Jun 19, 2007, 03:12 AM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2002
644 Posts
Don't know if I said this already but for rather large project like yours, I would rather mill a negative "pre-mold" from which a plug can be pulled and hand finished.

The plug would be a fuselage or a wing pulled from the "pre-mold" that is hand finished to the highest level that you can achieve including the fittings like connectors, wing joiners fixing screws , control rod exits fairings etc.

When you are happy about the all plane assembly, you put the plugs back in the pre-molds using the pre-molds halves as perfectly fitting parting boards and you build a composite mold from it.

The reason this slightly longer method is used is that perfect fit is very difficult to get even with CNC machines and a combination of machine+ hand finish gives the best results.

Good luck with your project,@+

Francois
Flybiwo
Old Jun 19, 2007, 03:59 AM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
That is an interesting process Francois! Would you be doing that sort of thing for a long production run?

Sam.
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage
Old Jun 19, 2007, 05:01 AM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2002
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samotage
That is an interesting process Francois! Would you be doing that sort of thing for a long production run?

Sam.
Hi Sam,

Definitely yes.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 09:43 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florrain
Don't know if I said this already but for rather large project like yours, I would rather mill a negative "pre-mold" from which a plug can be pulled and hand finished.

The plug would be a fuselage or a wing pulled from the "pre-mold" that is hand finished to the highest level that you can achieve including the fittings like connectors, wing joiners fixing screws , control rod exits fairings etc.

When you are happy about the all plane assembly, you put the plugs back in the pre-molds using the pre-molds halves as perfectly fitting parting boards and you build a composite mold from it.

The reason this slightly longer method is used is that perfect fit is very difficult to get even with CNC machines and a combination of machine+ hand finish gives the best results.

Francois
Flybiwo
I have heard of this method and may try it sometime. Right now Im going to try to stay away from the extra labor and see if I can still get a nice ship.

As far as the edges of the board, they will get sprayed on the next application which will be today. It is very dry where I live so moisture and swelling arent really an issue here.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 07:18 AM
EPP Pilot, bouncy is best
West Yorkshire, England
Joined Feb 2007
300 Posts
This all makes my Halfpipe look a bit tame
GliderRich is offline Find More Posts by GliderRich
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:02 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florrain

Francois
Flybiwo
Yes, this would be the way a full production plane would be made. This gives the most detail, best fit, and allows dor all of the extra work to be pre-molded. This extra work is what sets off Cech production quality
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Jun 20, 2007, 04:40 PM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
Mmm, so would things like the canopy recesses, wing root fairings etc all be faired into the pre-mold plug?

Sam,
who likes things from the Czech Republic.
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage
Old Jun 21, 2007, 09:59 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
I think it's important to remember that the cost of these planes is high and for a builder to do all of that extra work to make a prettier plane will have to charge more to compensate for his time. I dont think those cosmetic details add much speed if any to a DS plane. DS planes also get thrashed quickly. I dont want to have to worry about scratching my planes more than I do already. It's down and dirty for me! And fast of course!
Old Jun 22, 2007, 09:06 PM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
As it should be . Keep up the good work I saw your 160 up close and the workmanship was superb All of your work is clean and I am watching and waiting for this new project to be finished! Im sure it will equal or surpass your previous work Jimmy
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Old Nov 27, 2007, 07:17 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
I have taken a break to work on my new 160" Dynamic. I am going to do a build thread on it if anyone is interested. Sorry for the delay.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778363
Old Dec 07, 2007, 04:47 PM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
watching avidly!

Z
Zimodile is offline Find More Posts by Zimodile