699 Posts
subscribe
paladindg is offline Find More Posts by paladindg
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2007, 09:05 AM
United States, CA, Union City
Joined Mar 2004
388 Posts
I really love the finish on the plugs. Absolutely ZERO distortion of the reflections off the surface.

MDF is that a special wood? If it is, I'm kind of worried that if one side is sealed and the other is not, the plugs will warp due to moisture

Dom
dbaya is offline Find More Posts by dbaya
Old May 25, 2007, 09:40 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
MDF is medium density fiberboard. It is generally used as a substrate for plastic laminates or wood veneers. It is also a good paint grade material and is used to make all of the crowm and base molding that you see that is primered white.
The MDF plugs are warped when they arrive. It is fairly stable but when you mill half of it away it will warp on it's own. I just simply screw a couple boards to the back and shim up the plug with screws to make it dead flat.
As far as getting it smooth and shiny, it takes several steps. I use a conversion varnish. I color it black with dye so I can see surface imperfections better. Spray and sand using a stick block. Once the wood is entirely filled and all areas are straight then I do a final coat of varnish and begin the polishing process, more sanding (600grit, 800grit, 1000grit) then an abrasive compound then a polishing compound then a hand glaze. I will cover all of these steps in detail soon. I will share all of the build including making the molds. I will also post pics of all of the products I use and where to get them. Im just waiting on my next set of plugs which will be for the fuse.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old May 25, 2007, 10:11 AM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2002
644 Posts
Hello Joe,

Are you working on your own on this project or do you have a small team to give you a hand from time to time and boost the motivation when needed?

The reason I ask is these kind of projects here are often addressed as a team as I find very hard to carry everything as a single worker.

If you do all this on your own, what is your trick to keep the pace and motivation high?

Thanks,
Francois
Florrain is offline Find More Posts by Florrain
Old May 25, 2007, 11:59 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florrain
If you do all this on your own, what is your trick to keep the pace and motivation high?

Thanks,
Francois
Sickness!
Old May 25, 2007, 12:03 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoo
Looking forward to learning from the master.

Waz
Im just learning here. Please understand that Im new to this stuff and Im just sharing the methods that Im using. Im sure that there are better ways and there are definitely far better builders out there than me.
Old May 25, 2007, 01:57 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,408 Posts
Very cool, Joe!

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old May 25, 2007, 02:13 PM
Crashing!Unknown unknowns
Near Oxford
Joined Nov 2006
175 Posts
Joe, a question that mayby has a simple answer but I've failed to see it. You have CNC milled MDF which is a little unstable and then treated it which took quite some time I imagin. Why not go with Aluminium or other harder and stable (plastic's?) material. The only reason I can see is that the CNC m/c is for wood only.

Paul. Who's probably going to get red faced on this one
Pauld109 is offline Find More Posts by Pauld109
Old May 25, 2007, 03:48 PM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Absolutely incredible. I will watch and learn Joe.

Killer
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
Old May 25, 2007, 05:56 PM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor
Just to clarify, I have about 20hrs into the plug pictured. It was MDF and I have sprayed it with two coats of sealer (varnish) and sanded in between 7 times over. I then polished it. I will do a step by step on the next part. I will make molds of this part (plug).
looks great Joe..! I'm glad you saw the virtues of MDF. It really works well.

The plugs I made in my popcorn thread have been sitting for a long time and have a pronounced bend to them now. The unfortunate downside to MDF patterns is their poor longevity. Even when sealed, the plugs are a disposable item once used.

If I were to do a large mold like yours, the mdf would be screwed down to a very rigid metal frame, then machined. Machining mdf also releases a lot of internal stresses which makes it want to lose it's shape even further. I'm interested to see how you did yours and how they were kept straight.

Otherwise it's a great material compared to renshape etc.

Look forward to seeing the layup. That's where the real hard work and the need for group motivation begins
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old May 25, 2007, 06:30 PM
Brea CA
Joined Aug 2006
316 Posts
Joe, you ROCK
Warren
Warren Peterson is offline Find More Posts by Warren Peterson
Old May 25, 2007, 06:42 PM
Kansas City area
Joined Nov 2001
2,741 Posts
Joe, are you concerned about getting a good fit between top and bottom molds using a single plug for both? I understand that it's a symmetrical foil, I am wondering about the surrounding flat areas mating well.

Len
lensrc is offline Find More Posts by lensrc
Old May 25, 2007, 07:04 PM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,232 Posts
Looking really nice. I'm keeping track of this one
salisbug is offline Find More Posts by salisbug
Old May 25, 2007, 08:44 PM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
Am I the first to ask if there is a list, and if I can be added to it?
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old May 25, 2007, 09:22 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensrc
Joe, are you concerned about getting a good fit between top and bottom molds using a single plug for both? I understand that it's a symmetrical foil, I am wondering about the surrounding flat areas mating well.

Len
There isnt any difference in the two plugs. They are exactly the same. It is easier to get one really nice then to get two really nice.