SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 24, 2007, 02:12 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Help!
Help! Can't Get Motor Mount Off!

Has anyone removed the stock 3-hole mount on one of these motors? I removed the two set screws but it won't budge . I also removed the shaft and housing but it was no help. I want to use the stick mount with the heat sink for my SS. I don't want to damage the motor in the process.
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2007, 04:33 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
In addition to set screws, you may encounter glue.
Heat may help to unstick it
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old May 24, 2007, 11:35 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
I'll try the heat gun and see if that helps. There does appear to be a small film of something around the inside.
Old May 25, 2007, 09:44 AM
Joined Nov 2004
28 Posts
chalmrast,
A heat gun may be too much overall area heat and dislogdge the magnets in the rotating bell you might try a solder gun on the mount first
browser1
browser1 is offline Find More Posts by browser1
Old May 25, 2007, 10:30 AM
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
Hold the base in a vise or vise-grip pliers. Take a punch and give the thing a sharp smack with a small hammer. It's better if you can come up with a small metal tube that will fit over the propeller shaft and use that as a punch. A piece of brass tube might work. I've never had a PB 21 that I didn't have to smack out of the base. Once out, fold sandpaper over a pencil and slightly sand the inside of the mount until motor goes in and comes out easier.
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Old May 25, 2007, 11:55 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Thanks to all for the suggestions! I didn't try the heat gun yet so maybe I'll scrap that idea based on the other suggestions. With the three day weekend coming up I'll give it a shot.