HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2007, 01:56 AM
Joined May 2007
13 Posts
Discussion
Dumas Deep Vee 20, First Kit

I just bought a Dumas Deep Vee 20 - wood kit. I have not received it yet but am anticipating its delivery some time this weekend.
I have a few questions on the building process (Still on the dock), what should I expect? What are a few common errors in the building process?
I have not bought any building tools. I figured I would wait and look at the kit and decide what I need. What are a few guaranteed tools I will need for any kit? Thus far I have some thick and thin superglue and some epoxy coming.
I have a Dremel; I should get that out and cleaned up, eh? I most likely need to get some new bits for this project.
Ill post back and let you know what the kit looks like. This is my first kit. I had a little swamp buggy, .049 about 17 years ago that I got already built. I have little experience in this field, Im coming back looking to jump right in.

My plans are to put in a .21 OS inboard with a clutch.
Since the physics and tension of water do not change but the scale of the boat does, it seems to me to put the prop on the underside of the boat. Ill leave that question for a later post when I progress that far. (This is not the discussion topic, yet.)

I just noticed I can make a log. Once I start building, I will try to create one with pictures.

Thanks a lot for the replies.
billyz7718 is offline Find More Posts by billyz7718
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2007, 02:34 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyz7718
What are a few common errors in the building process?

I have not bought any building tools. I figured I would wait and look at the kit and decide what I need. What are a few guaranteed tools I will need for any kit?
I have a Dremel; I should get that out and cleaned up, eh? I most likely need to get some new bits for this project.

My plans are to put in a .21 OS inboard with a clutch.

...it seems to me to put the prop on the underside of the boat...

I just noticed I can make a log. Once I start building, I will try to create one with pictures.
Welcome to the 'dock' billyz7718..

A few thoughts on your post..

1/ Not reading the instructions and understanding them fully before cutting / sticking..

2/ A building board, Drills, Modelling knife, clamps, square, Steel or ali 12" rule, Small screwdrivers...

3/ Why a clutch?... Water doesnt have the same 'grip' as a road surface does..

4/ "prop on the underside of the boat"... ... thats where the water is (most of the time)

5/ Yes, please... with PICS!!!!
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup