Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 23, 2007, 06:17 PM
Joined Mar 2007
198 Posts
Discussion
which plane fro new flyer?

Hi,

I've found there is a club near me and have been wanting to get into Rc flying with engines for a while. Just wondering what people thought of these planes? I've been practicing on FMS and can land and fly allsorts including helis.

Super Frontier-40 Got some good ratings? Looks fun too with front steering wheel.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_g...?kit_id=1162

Boomerang Also good ratings: http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_g...?kit_id=3679

Prangster 3d looks like a possible option? Unbreakable, but how easy to fly?
http://www.galaxymodels.co.uk/new/re...raft+I.C.+Kits

Or do I go for a more acrobatic model, which radio, engine etc? Budget of £300. I'd like something that will keep me going for a while and also get my BMFA A licence etc.

My local hobby shop is:
http://www.galaxymodels.co.uk/new/re...raft+I.C.+Kits

Thank you
boos boy is offline Find More Posts by boos boy
Last edited by boos boy; May 24, 2007 at 04:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2007, 04:07 AM
Joined Mar 2007
198 Posts
links don't seem to work sorry

Any help would be good though
Old May 24, 2007, 04:57 AM
RC = Empty wallet
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2005
356 Posts
Which plane? All depends on you're budget I guess, most go with a .40 size High wing trainer with a .40-46 size engine in the front. Do you have any radio gear? Or are you starting right from scratch? You want to keep away from aerobatic planes and low wing planes. A trainer is capable of performing aerobatics once you get the hang of things.
InvalidUsername is offline Find More Posts by InvalidUsername
Last edited by InvalidUsername; May 24, 2007 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 24, 2007, 05:28 AM
Joined Mar 2007
198 Posts
I have nothing, just a couple of cheap hydrofoams with cheap 3hmhz gear and 8 9g servos.

I've been offered a frontier with os46la and futaba radio etc, for £170, almost new? I worked out it may cost upto £300 if I bought it new but still not sure, its a risk.

I wasn't aware a trainer could do basic stunts, I thought they just flew around in circles, even the 4 channel ones. May be good to do that then, especially with a budget of only £300 and being a student for 3 years not likely to be able to buy another plane for a while.

Thanx for replying.
Old May 24, 2007, 04:31 PM
Gotta make the doughnuts
Toledo Express, Ohio, United States
Joined Oct 2004
631 Posts
Nah, when you get the hang of a trainer you can make it do a lot.

I crashed 2 of my trainers pushing them past their limits.

Loops are no problem. You can get a little knife edge out of them. Fly inverted but it sometimes takes a little aileron correction to keep them on their back.

Hammerhead stalls, turn stalls, barrel rolls, etc.

If you can make a trainer do that stuff, then doing it with a plane that was meant to do those things just becomes a lot easier.

The Frontier and Boomerang look a lot like a Hobbico SuperStar (or vice versa) and that's definitely a plane I recommend as a glow trainer.

I've flown a number of trainers and for the money I think that's a great plane to start with. It's light, it floats well, and you can get it to do all the tricks above.

Do you have any other questions about making this move? Anything we can do to help makes things easier and give you insight wouldn't be a problem at all.
Rhathid is offline Find More Posts by Rhathid
Old May 24, 2007, 04:50 PM
Joined Mar 2007
198 Posts
That sounds great. They are all the stunts I will be doing for a while if I get that far and brave!!!

Well I had been watching an unfinished plane on ebay:
World models frontier 40 unfinished 99% complete with engine fitted and running)
Futaba EXA radio (new in box)
OS 46 -LA engine
glow starter, engine starter, new cell charger battery
All with boxes and some receipts.
Not sure what else I'll need or what else is there.

I worked out it would cost me abot £300 to buy this, got it for £125 and brand new apparantly. Was worded in a funny title so no-one else bid on it or thought is was not worth it, I found it by accident. My reason for getting it is the positive response I got about the frontier and that it glides well, good reviews, the engine is good and good radio etc. Also though, as I've saved £150 on buying it new, I have £150 to spend on repairs, extra gear and a new upgrade plane eventually.

Thank you for all your help, I nearly didn't bid on it. I don't really have time to try it for a couple of weeks and I'm going to visit my local club at the weekend as they do lessons and have instructors and examiners to get my licence.

I'm sure I'll be on here when it arrives and when I have to finish building it flying etc. What a great bunch of people you are.

Thank you.
Old May 24, 2007, 04:54 PM
Gotta make the doughnuts
Toledo Express, Ohio, United States
Joined Oct 2004
631 Posts
Yeah, that does sound like a pretty good deal.

Good call on going to the club. Have everybody inspect it over and somebody will have the right tools in the event something needs tuned or changed a bit.

But that plane will fly even if it's not running right which is really good. Dead stick landings are also no problem.

The plane is very easy to predict even if you have to maneuver it around dead stick.

Check out this site as well. MA Sport Aviator

Specifically start here. http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp...&ID=96&index=0

You're plane will cook pretty good with that .46 size engine. LA engines are inexpensive and get the job done. Normally a trainer would use a .40, so with that .46 you'll get some pep!
Rhathid is offline Find More Posts by Rhathid
Last edited by Rhathid; May 24, 2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old May 24, 2007, 05:15 PM
Joined Mar 2007
198 Posts
Thanx for putting my mind at rest, looking forwards to it even more now

I'll check out those sites, thanx for the links.