HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:26 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,930 Posts
Discussion
Cessna, we hardly knew ye.

After three months of irritation, the Flyzone Cessna is hereby retired and will soon be on its way to being recycled into a food tray or something of that nature.

I tell you, I crashed that tip-stalling little monster more than just about anything I've ever flown. Made the mistake of hand-launching it the other day with a less-than-fully charged battery. Darn thing would not climb.

Wound up swinging it around into a palm tree. Ouch.

Busted up the tail and its mount on the fuselage. Glued it together as best as I could, but it simply wasn't going to stay together. I flew it today, but things were a bit shaky. The empanage busted off at the glue joint and the horizontal stab busted off at a whole new location.

By the time I would have bought a fuselage, decals and tailfeathers, I discovered that I would have been within less than ten bucks of a GWS Formosa, if memory served regarding the price of the parts. Doing the wing and cowl to make it a full rekit would have set me back more than sixty bucks. Plus, the fuselages are on back order. Wonder why...?

So, I bought the Formosa.

It looks as if it will accept the Cessna's battery packs with no problem and I already have the proper GWS speed control.

Now, I've seen a Formosa in flight. This little plane is a real athlete, ranking up with the best of them from what I saw, especially when compared to the Cessna with its flat-bottomed airfoil and its complete inability to loop from straight and level flight. I don't recall what the plane I saw had in the way of power, but I'm sure that I'll be happy with the stock setup for now.

I just can't help but wonder if I'm a victim of karma after what happened the other day. See my post below.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; May 23, 2007 at 01:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2007, 02:33 PM
EPP Addict
Nashville, TN
Joined Jan 2006
994 Posts
That's it, keep looking on the bright side! Just keep your formosa as light as you can, you're going to need every ounce with a brushed motor and nimhs. I would suggest an upgrade as soon as you can afford it... lipo and even one of those $20 brushless/esc combos like a BP12.

Keeping it light will help it fly well even at slower speeds, and give you better climb. NoFlyZone has an excellent thread here... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=sub+formosa

Good luck... I've always wanted one of these but I recently bought the P-38 instead for my first warbird. And about the karma thing... that guy was certainly a jerk... you probably saved him the trouble of re-kitting that thing all by himself. Don't let it get to you...
LuckyDay is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDay
Last edited by LuckyDay; May 23, 2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:17 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,930 Posts
Thanks, Lucky.

This thing just stuck in my craw, especially after being nice to the man after he arrived. I gave him a genuinely heartfelt "good morning."

OTOH, I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to keep the Formosa. The tail of the Cessna from the horizontal stab cradle rearward was basically hanging by trim tape, the antenna tube and a few flecks of foam. I thought that the CA had busted loose and that it was hopeless, so it went into the recycle bin.

This morning, I decided to take a double-take and I'm glad that I did.

Only a few drops of CA were present around one edge; the rest of the foam was pristine. In other words, it broke since there wasn't any glue holding it together. So, I dug it out, brought it into the house, double-checked the fit (it was fine) and mixed up a bit of 15-minute epoxy.

That joint is as strong as strong can be.

The hobby shop only issues store credit, so I may swap the Formosa (which is an older version anyway) for some goodies for the Blade CP.

Or not.

I may keep the Formosa anyway. We shall see.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; May 23, 2007 at 10:23 PM.