Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 22, 2007, 04:06 PM
North East
Joined Nov 2001
1,198 Posts
Help!
Can I charge my Lead Acid lawn tractor battery?

This battery is a 12 volt Lead Acid lawn tractor one and I think it's the same as a car battery. It says 230 Amps on the side of it and I read somewhere that I can trickle charge it. Can I do it with my GWS MC-2002?
HIGHFLYER99 is offline Find More Posts by HIGHFLYER99
Last edited by HIGHFLYER99; May 22, 2007 at 04:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2007, 06:29 PM
North East
Joined Nov 2001
1,198 Posts
ideas?

Anyone give me a tip?
Old May 22, 2007, 06:53 PM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
HIGHFLYER99,

The 230 Amp rating onthe side of the battery is the "Cold Cranking Amp" rating of the battery. That is basically the maximum amperage that the battery can put out for about 10-15 seconds when the battery is cooled to freezing (32F or 0C).

Most lawn tractor batteries that I have seen, for tractors in the 14-20 HP range, have a capacity of around 22-25 Amp-Hours. Some will be a little higher at up to 30 amp hours, but not any higher than that.

These types of batteries should not be charged at more than a C/10 rating, which means that they should be charged at around 2-3 amps. A small battery charger designed for Motorcycle batteries or smaller batteries with a 2 amp and 6 amp output would be ideal. These can be purchased at automotive stores or at a place like Harbor Freight

Here is one that Harbor Freight sells for $24.99.

The GWS MC-2002 charger is a Delta Peak Ni-Cad and Ni-MH type charger, and as such it is not suited for charging a lead-acid type battery. Delta Peak chargers rely on the drop in voltage that these Ni-XX type cells have when they are charged, so it would never shut off, and could possibly over-charge the battery.

Lucien
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Old May 22, 2007, 06:58 PM
North East
Joined Nov 2001
1,198 Posts
I see, the thing is a new battery would cost me about $30 at Walmart. What if I were to use my GWS at a 'trickle' for several hours just to see if the thing will turn over my lawn tractor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMiller5
HIGHFLYER99,

The 230 Amp rating onthe side of the battery is the "Cold Cranking Amp" rating of the battery. That is basically the maximum amperage that the battery can put out for about 10-15 seconds when the battery is cooled to freezing (32F or 0C).

Most lawn tractor batteries that I have seen, for tractors in the 14-20 HP range, have a capacity of around 22-25 Amp-Hours. Some will be a little higher at up to 30 amp hours, but not any higher than that.

These types of batteries should not be charged at more than a C/10 rating, which means that they should be charged at around 2-3 amps. A small battery charger designed for Motorcycle batteries or smaller batteries with a 2 amp and 6 amp output would be ideal. These can be purchased at automotive stores or at a place like Harbor Freight

Here is one that Harbor Freight sells for $24.99.

The GWS MC-2002 charger is a Delta Peak Ni-Cad and Ni-MH type charger, and as such it is not suited for charging a lead-acid type battery. Delta Peak chargers rely on the drop in voltage that these Ni-XX type cells have when they are charged, so it would never shut off, and could possibly over-charge the battery.

Lucien
Old May 22, 2007, 11:57 PM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
You can if you hook up a voltmeter and watch the battery voltage. Set the charger to charge at no more than 2 amps, and terminate the charge when the battery reaches 13.6 volts, which is considered the "Full" point for a 12 volt lead acid battery.

As another option, if you have a set of jumper cables, you can jump start the tractor from your car. It won't hurt the tractor battery, since the car battery is also 12 volts, it is just bigger. I have done this many times myself with my 18HP lawn tractor for teh first cut of the year after the tractor sat all winter. Once you get it started, it will continue running, and the alternator in the tractor motor will charge the battery while you cut the grass.

Lucien
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Old May 23, 2007, 11:57 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
If you buy a Triton you can use it to charge about any lead acid battery
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old May 23, 2007, 07:38 PM
North East
Joined Nov 2001
1,198 Posts
I actually did jump start this from my auto, like you said, and it worked. Only thing is that the "alternator" in this John Deere only maintains charge, does not add to it. The LeadAcid battery is at about 12.6v, so I'll baby sit it for a while @ aA charge till it get to 13.6, as you said. Thank you for advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMiller5
You can if you hook up a voltmeter and watch the battery voltage. Set the charger to charge at no more than 2 amps, and terminate the charge when the battery reaches 13.6 volts, which is considered the "Full" point for a 12 volt lead acid battery.

As another option, if you have a set of jumper cables, you can jump start the tractor from your car. It won't hurt the tractor battery, since the car battery is also 12 volts, it is just bigger. I have done this many times myself with my 18HP lawn tractor for teh first cut of the year after the tractor sat all winter. Once you get it started, it will continue running, and the alternator in the tractor motor will charge the battery while you cut the grass.

Lucien
Old May 24, 2007, 05:48 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
The alternator in the mower will charge the batt but it will take a while. It's more of a trickle charger. I use a jump starter out at the field to charge the plane batterys, with a Triton. Then I use the Triton at home in its lead acid mode to charge the jumpstarter.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 24, 2007, 07:59 AM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
The alternator on my John Deere charges the battery.
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams