HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2007, 07:18 AM
Joined Jan 2005
657 Posts
Discussion
Is there a way to set up the DX6 for full flaps using the ailerons?

I have an Airfoilz Edge 540 I fly with a DX6 radio. I'd like to know if there's a way to set up the ailerons (this plane doesn't have separate flaps, it only has ailerons) to use them for full flaps for slow landings. I was reading through the manual about setting up the flaperon mixing, but the discription of this funtion is vague at best. It talked about mixing for 3D flight and something else, but it really didn't address flipping the flap switch for full flaps to use for landings. Is it possible to set up this radio to do this? Thanks.
grampi is offline Find More Posts by grampi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2007, 10:45 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Flaperons don't work well for some installations.
A little is good, a lot is very bad.
The deflected surface alters the angle of attack of the wing.
For slowing for landing, the amount of deflection puts the wing very very close to the stall angle, and when an aileron goes down, that side of the wing stalls.
Seperate flaps are much better... these can be coupled to work as ailerons, yet be used as conventional flaps without the risk of the tip stall.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2007, 11:32 PM
5 miles from the geographical center of Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2005
2,144 Posts
when you set the DX6 up for flaperon mode, they tell you to turn down the flap travel to zero in both + and 1 directions. Once you get the servos set up that way, you can increase the flaps. You want to be sparing on this plane. I did it with my trainer, and it makes it a lot harder to land. My experience with Airfoilz is that you don't want to tip stall them on landing. Maybe I just got one that was particularly fragile.

" In the travel adjust mode (see page 42) adjust the travel adjust values for flap to 0%
in both directions. This will effectively turn off the flap switch for now, preventing the
flaperons (both ailerons combined) from moving up or down when the flap switch is
flipped. Latter by assigning a value in either direction the flap switch can be used to raise
or lower the flaps."
Page 33 of DX6 manual
I've recently seen a recommendation to raise the flaps, which reduces the angle of incidence and thus reduces the possibility of stalling the wing. But it still adds drag
Unterhausen is offline Find More Posts by Unterhausen